Denon HEOS 1 v Sonos Play 1

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by tintin jones, Jun 8, 2015.

1. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    So i was on the verge of buying 2 Sonos play 1's last week but then realised that they dont support
    spotify connect which was one of the main reasons i was looking at them. From reading online this seems to be an ongoing thing between Spotify and Sonos. Do i have any other options to get it to work or just wait for firmware update that might never come?

The other direction i could go is the denon HEOS 1 that i could also go with which does support spotify connect and seems to be getting positive reactions. Its a little short on reviews at the moment as its only released. The downside is its a little more expensive and i've never heard them "in the flesh" so to speak.

Opinions folks?

Thanks

2. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Why do you want spotify connect?
    Sonos does connect to spotify directly. It's just the control interface is via the sonos app not spotify.

3. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I had heard the sonos app was rubbish but I haven't been able to test it myself before I buy. Would you recommend going with sonos regardless?

4. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I think as with anything, the more you use the app the more at home you feel with it. I quite like the search function that searches all your streaming services along with any music library you may have and radio saltations etc
    I personally can't speak highly enough of sonos, I dipped my toe in a few months back with a play 5 and have now decided that I want it all over the house.

5. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The thing is I'd mainly be using it for spotify. How does the browsing compare to the Spotify app? Has anyone had experience with the heos speakers?

6. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Browsing within sonos is totally different to within Spotify and very basic by comparison. If you know what you want to play then Sonos is just fine as you can search for music by album, artist, track etc and play it. Your Spotify playlists are also included also. BUT for music discovery its totally lacking - there is no 'Radio' option (either track or artist), no 'spotify curated playlists' (i.e. moods, moments, genre, activity, decade...), no Discover... In addition the new(ish) 'Your Music' library concept is not included in Sonos either so I ended up making a large playlist with everything in it. None of the 'social' aspects are included either e.g. seeing what your friends are listening to.

There are advantages Sonos has over Spotify Connect in that you can build a queue or playlist of tracks from multiple music sources or together with your own local library. Also, there are no limits with multiple streams to different speakers. i.e. if you have 3 speakers in different rooms you could potentially stream different music to each from spotify via sonos. With Spotify Connect you cannot do this (unless you have multiple spotify accounts) - you have to stream the same music to one or more speakers.

Ideally Sonos will extend the Spotify functionality within their app but this relies on Spotify to make more of it available to them in the (unique) API that Spotify provides to Sonos. Since Spotify now have their own, different, protocol which is used by pretty much every other hardware provider their incentive to do this is minimal to say the least. Sonos were invited but declined from using Spotify Connect and now us 'Spotify on Sonos' users are paying the price of inaction/standoff on both sides. Apparently the dialogue between the 2 companies has improved lately and both are allegedly working on improving the feature-set but who knows when anything will be made available on Sonos.

Alternatively you could go with sonos and swap Spotify for another provider e.g. Google Music. This has much better integration within Sonos. However I have about 18 months of spotify subscription before I need to pay again so that would be an expensive option for me. In addition, all my friends use Spotify also so I would lose to ability to find new music via their listening history. Lastly Google Music on IOS (Im only on apple) is absolutely dire and spends ages loading, buffering etc. None of the other UK providers gives as polished an experience on a phone as Spotify IMO and since I spend as much time listening in the car as I do at home this aspect is very important for me.

7. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Cheers mate yeah I see where your coming from. I hadn't even thought about Google music which I have used in the past I could switch over to them if/when sonos and spotify sort out their lovers tiff ☺

8. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127

Gives you an idea of how it works.
    I came from being an avid spotify user to getting a free trial of deezer with my mobile acount. The free trial has since ended and I've tried to go back to spotify but personally preferred deezer. I am now subscribed to deezer elite which gives me flac streaming via sonos with as good if not better music library.
    I'm sure you can buy sonos and if your not happy you can return it.

9. nicka099

nicka099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I havent heard the Heos 1 but can tell you that a pair of Play 1s sounds very good. There is an also offer on at the moment for 2 Plays 1's for £299 at John Lewis (2 year warranty) or Sonos directly. Add a sub and it gets even better.

Then they start breeding like rabbits and before you know it the house is full of them !

From what Ive read, Heos are good but since they are also comparatively new have more glitches than Sonos do. Spotify Connect also does some pretty odd (undesirable) things sometimes.

10. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    For me I was absolutely amazed the sound being produced by the sonos line up. Couldn't get over the bass from things so small. I ended going for the play 5 as it was a slightly bigger sound.

11. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I've just (today) purchased 2 x Sonos Play 1's to run in Stereo, comparing them to my stereo - Cyrus 5 AMP, Rega Planet CD player and PMC DB1's - which is a little unfair I find the Sonos 1's very very good (& loud), they struggle with complexity (even in loseless) i.e. Pink Floyd high hopes struggles in the complex parts but fine in the simpler parts of the music. A little bass heavy as well even compared to PMC DB1's.

The app works just fine, not full of junk and easy to navigate and simple to add my music library in via a shared directory on my NAS.

Just chilling to Dark Side of the Moon now... :)

12. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I ordered a pair of Heos 1s this evening so I'll report back on how they sound and they hopefully I made the right decision

13. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think if you are set on using spotify then you made the right call. I use Sonos throughout my house but I cannot stand the spotify integration in the sonos app. I changed over to Tidal and the experience is far improved and much closer to the Tidal app.

At this time at least I am settled with the Tidal/sonos combo, I also pay for the tidal hifi service for lossless streaming. Which in my head at least sounds better than 320kbps spotify, not sure I would pass a blind AB test though :)

14. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Iv gone for deezer elite, £15 pm for flac streaming and imo is better than tidal and spotify.

15. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Forgive my ignorance and I should use google but what exactly do these streaming service deliver?

16. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Via the sonos app, unlimited streaming of virtually anything you can think of.
    And with various services offering flac streaming it's not a sacrifice on quality either. I haven't bought a cd in years

17. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Apparently denon are adding services every three months be interesting to see if apple music will be supported as well as Google play music and the rest. Spotify is my main one now but there needs to be back up incase the company vanishes one morning

18. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Just installed a pair of Heos 1s in stereo mode in the kitchen. They sound amazing and set up (while a bit 1990s using jack in) was relatively straightforward. Once connected they both updated via the app.

Excellent sound and easily as good if not better than sonos play 1s i demoed in friends houses/stores. Considering the size there is a excellent bass with out being overpowering and clear vocals.

Spotify worked straight off the bat and it was simple to use spotify connect (one of my main reasons I went for them over the play 1s)

The speakers themselves are very well made and you'd know they are a quality product. Delighted with purchase the question now is do I separate them for different rooms or leave in the very impressive stereo mode.

19. jk330ci

jk330ci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Sounds like the spotify integration has just been updated to improve the user experience and add missing features.