Denon HDMI 2.0 2014 Receivers Announced

Oswald

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It looks like at least two of these are now on Denon's UK site, and named X1100 and X2100:
DENON UK | AV Receivers

AVR-X1100W:

The AVR-X1100W 7.2 Network AV Receiver brings technology from Denon’s top-of-the-range AV models and offers amazing value. 7 channels each providing 145 watts and the Denon engineering team’s many years of experience in amplifier design combine to make sure that the sound reaching the speakers is powerful, controlled and full of subtle detail. Built-in Wi-Fi enables you to connect to your home network easily and Bluetooth enables wireless playback from your compatible portable devices. The clear onscreen interface and setup assistant make the Receiver easy to setup and use, and with internet radio built-in you can listen to a varied range of radio stations from around the world. Also, you can enjoy music from Spotify streaming service via the latest Spotify Connect (subscriptions required). Overall, this model offers an amazing roster of facilities for its price range.

4K Ultra HD 60 Hz Pass-through; 4:4:4 Pure Color
Sub-sampling Pass-through
With 6 HDMI inputs, the AVR-X1100W lets you connect multiple HDMI source devices. The Blu-ray and Game inputs support 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz and 4:4:4 Pure Color video pass-through, a feature of the latest HDMI specification. The AVR-X1100W’s video section is also fully compatible with 3D content.

Built-in Bluetooth, Built-in Wi-Fi and AirPlay, DLNA
Many portable devices are equipped with Bluetooth wireless connectivity, and the AVR-X1100W’s built-in Bluetooth wireless technology lets you stream your favorite audio tracks from up to 8 Bluetooth enabled devices, such as smartphones, portable audio players and tablets. With the built-in Wi-Fi wireless technology, the AVR-X1100W connects to the internet through your home network, opening up a world of music from internet radio stations, as well as streaming subscription service Spotify via very latest Spotify Connect scheme. With AirPlay, you can enjoy listening to your favorite tracks wirelessly from your portable iOS device, including iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. DLNA 1.5 certification lets you connect to your PC or Mac via your home network wirelessly for additional streaming capabilities. Our Denon Remote App lets you easily control the AVR-X1100W with your favorite portable device, and is available for Apple and Android devices as well as the Kindle Fire.

Easy To Setup, Easy To Use
Denon’s exclusive Setup Assistant, along with our Quick Start guide, will have your system properly connected and configured quickly and easily, so you can start enjoying superb home theater surround sound with a minimum of fuss and bother. The Setup Assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that quickly and easily guide you through the setup process, optimizing critical system settings for the best possible sound quality.

Convenient USB Port
Connect your Apple iPod, iPod touch or iPad to the AVR-X1100W via the convenient front panel USB port and listen to your favorite music tracks while charging your device at the same time.

Powerful 7 Channel Discrete Amplifier with Eco Mode
Featuring high current discrete power output devices, the AVR-X1100W delivers high power and is rated at a maximum of 145 watts per channel. There’s also an Auto Eco mode that adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level, as well as an on-screen Eco meter that lets you see the power consumption reduction in real time. For compatibility with the widest range of loudspeaker models, the AVR-X1100W is also equipped with low impedance drive capability, to provide operational stability with speakers rated at 4 ohms.

Audyssey MultEQ XT Built-in
Denon was the first A/V manufacturer to embrace Audyssey’s advanced DSP audio processing, and the AVR-X1100W features the Audyssey Silver suite of powerful DSP features, including MultEQ XT room acoustic measurement and DSP correction. Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose. Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels.

Multi-room Listening
You can configure the AVR-X1100W for a 7 channel home theater surround system, or you can choose to have a 5 channel surround system in the main room, with 2 of the amplifier channels dedicated to drive separate stereo speakers in another room. Enjoy a surround sound movie in one room, while others can enjoy stereo sound from a different source in a second room, at the same time.

Dual Subwoofer Outputs
The AVR-X1100W features dual subwoofer outputs, which lets you connect two smaller subwoofers instead of a single, larger sub, and enjoy the benefits of response averaging by having two subs in different locations in the room. With dual subwoofers, deep bass is smoother and more detailed, minimizing the peaks and dips that often result with a single subwoofer setup.

DENON UK | AVR-X1100W

AVR-X2100W
:

The AVR-X2100W 7.2ch Network AV Receiver delivers the latest Denon surround sound technology at an affordable price – but that doesn’t mean compromising on sound quality. With its 7 discrete output stages each providing 150 watts of clean power, the AVR-X2100W creates stunning cinema sound and detailed music playback. Built-in Wi-Fi enables you to hook-up to your home network quickly, and Bluetooth makes wireless playback from compatible portable devices really easy. You can also listen to a vast range of internet radio stations, as well as enjoying music from Spotify via the latest Spotify Connect scheme (subscriptions required). Equipped with a powerful video processor section, the AVR-X2100W features the ability to upconvert and transcode standard definition and high definition video sources to full HD 1080p resolution, and even includes the ability to handle next-generation 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz sources and displays, for the ultimate viewing experience. It’s also equipped to handle 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampled content for the sharpest color resolution. An extensive array of inputs, outputs and control options make the AVR-X2100W a truly versatile AV control centre.

8 HDMI Inputs, Dual HDMI Outputs
Equipped with no less than 8 HDMI inputs, the AVR-X2100W features 7 HDMI inputs on the rear panel, along with another HDMI input on the front panel that lets you conveniently connect your favorite game console, HDTV camcorder or other HDMI device. The dual HDMI outputs let you drive two separate HDMI equipped displays at the same time. The AVR-X2100W’s video section is also fully compatible with 3D content.

Built-in Bluetooth, Built-in Wi-Fi and AirPlay, DLNA
Many portable devices are equipped with Bluetooth wireless connectivity, and the AVR-X2100W’s built-in Bluetooth wireless technology lets you stream your favorite audio tracks from up to 8 Bluetooth enabled devices, such as smartphones, portable audio players and tablets. With the built-in Wi-Fi wireless technology, the AVR-X2100W connects to the internet through your home network, opening up a world of music from internet radio stations, as well as streaming subscription service Spotify via very latest Spotify Connect scheme. With AirPlay, you can enjoy listening to your favorite tracks wirelessly from your portable iOS device, including iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. DLNA 1.5 certification lets you connect to your PC or Mac via your home network wirelessly for additional streaming capabilities. Our Denon Remote App lets you easily control the AVR-X2100W with your favorite portable device, and is available for Apple and Android devices as well as the Kindle Fire.

Easy To Setup, Easy To Use
Denon’s exclusive Setup Assistant, along with our Quick Start guide, will have your system properly connected and configured quickly and easily, so you can start enjoying superb home theater surround sound with a minimum of fuss and bother. The Setup Assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that quickly and easily guide you through the setup process, optimizing critical system settings for the best possible sound quality.

Powerful 7 Channel Discrete Amplifier with Eco Mode
With each channel rated at a maximum power of 150 watts, the AVR-X2100W features a power amplifier design that incorporates multiple high current discrete output devices, with identical circuit topology on all 7 channels. Our new Eco Mode provides the ability to reduce overall power consumption and features an on-screen Eco Meter that lets you see the power consumption reduction effect. The Auto Eco mode automatically switches between normal and Eco modes, depending on the volume level chosen, and the power amplifier block is rated to drive low impedance speaker loads, down to 4 ohms, for compatibility and stability with virtually any loudspeaker model.

Audyssey MultEQ XT Built-in
The AVR-X2100W features the Audyssey Silver family of DSP technologies, which includes MultEQ room acoustic measurement and correction. Via the supplied measuring microphone, the MultEQ system first measures actual in-room response from all the speakers, including the subwoofer, and then quickly generates multiple precision digital filters that ensure the smoothest possible response. And the step-up MultEQ XT technology provides for more measurement points (up to 8 positions) and generates higher accuracy digital filters.

Multi-room Listening
Thanks to the AVR-X2100W’s flexible Amp Assign function, you can choose to power a 5.1 channel home theater surround system, and dedicate the 2 additional amp channels to deliver stereo sound to a pair of speakers in another room. Watch a surround sound movie in the main room with the ability to have a separate stereo source playing in a second room.

Dual Subwoofer Outputs
Depending on the location of the subwoofer in a listening room relative to the listening position, the deep bass quality can be marred by in-room resonances that negatively affect bass quality, with peaks and dips that together produce boomy bass and muddy bass detail. Equipped with dual subwoofer outputs, the AVR-X2100W lets you use two subwoofers, placed in different locations in the listening room. By having two subs in different locations in the room, the bass quality can very often be significantly better due to response averaging, with smoother, deeper bass free of annoying peaks and dips.

DENON UK | AVR-X2100W

zkwm.jpg

r6os.jpg

The x2100 is successor to the x2000 which succeeded the 2113 that I have. In that time it has become wireless and got dual hdmi, Bluetooth and dual sub outs. Still got the same audyssey though. Presumably it will start at 500 and richer sounds will be selling it at 250 by Xmas, if previous years form is followed.

What's not clear is whether or not the new Denon X-series will have support for HDCP 2.2, which it is supposed will be needed for a future 4K/UHD Blu-ray disk format...

HDMI 2.0 requirers that support for HDCP 2.2 be implimented. It is part of the spec for HDMI 2.0.

Although this article does suggest that HDCP version 2.2 will be absent from the Denon HDMI version 2.0 receivers so far announced????

HDMI 2.0 enables passthrough for 60Hz Ultra HD 60Hz, 4:4:4 full resolution 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, 21:9 aspect ratios and dynamic auto lip synchronization. All three also feature a new Auto Eco Mode to reduce power consumption. HDCP 2.2 is not supported in the HDMI ports and cannot be added via firmware because the technology is hardware-dependent, said Belanger. - See more at: Modestly Priced Denon AVRs Add HDMI 2.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth | http://www.twice.com
Modestly Priced Denon AVRs Add HDMI 2.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth | http://www.twice.com

I'd be very surprised if Denon have actually omitted it? Why the hell would they and where does the person writing that article get this information from?

Last edited:
HDMI 2.0 requirers that support for HDCP 2.2 be implimented. It is part of the spec for HDMI 2.0.
Thanks - from some articles online I had got the impression that support for it was optional.

There are a limited number of HDMI 2.0 chiset manufacturers and all of them appear to impliment HDCP 2.2 chipsets. Denon and other manufacturers aren't obliged to declare what version of HDCP they are incorporating and haven't bothered to do so up until now with the advent of HDMI version 2 and 4K Ultra HD. I'd think it rather stupid of any AV receiver manufacturer to not included an implementation of HDMI version 2.0 that doesn't use the HDCP 2.2 chipset. They'd basically have to purposefully go out of their way to find a HDMI version 2.0 chipset lacking support for HDCP 2.2.

The X3100 has been announced which replaces the X4000. No audyssey XT32 on it this year which is regrettable.

DENON UK | AVR-X3100W

The X3100 has been announced which replaces the X4000.
Surely it replaces the X3000 (which also does not have XT32) ???

Surely it replaces the X3000 (which also does not have XT32) ???
Correct. Just occurred to me. I was about to repost.

I'd assume the AVRX3100 to be the replacement for the AVRX3000 and not the AVRX4000's replacement? Maybe this explains the absence of XT32? This is further substantiated by the AVRX3100 having only one main room HDMI output plus one second zone HDMI output. I'd expect the AVRX4000's replacement to have 2 main room outputs plus a third second zone HDMI output.

I'd assume the AVRX3100 to be the replacement for the AVRX3000 and not the AVRX4000's replacement? Maybe this explains the absence of XT32? This is further substantiated by the AVRX3100 having only one main room HDMI output plus one second zone HDMI output. I'd expect the AVRX4000's replacement to have 2 main room outputs plus a third second zone HDMI output.
Point already conceded.

There are a limited number of HDMI 2.0 chiset manufacturers and all of them appear to impliment HDCP 2.2 chipsets. Denon and other manufacturers aren't obliged to declare what version of HDCP they are incorporating and haven't bothered to do so up until now with the advent of HDMI version 2 and 4K Ultra HD. I'd think it rather stupid of any AV receiver manufacturer to not included an implementation of HDMI version 2.0 that doesn't use the HDCP 2.2 chipset. They'd basically have to purposefully go out of their way to find a HDMI version 2.0 chipset lacking support for HDCP 2.2.

As far as I can tell the new HDMI 2.0 Yamaha and Pioneer receivers don't have HDCP 2.2. The HDMI chipset analysis posted on HDFever - La passion de la haute définition confirms this. Onkyo is the only one who advertises HDCP 2.2 on their new receivers, and they seem to use a different chip.

I wish I were wrong, but I don't think these new Denons have the feature either. Personally, am I also waiting for a HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 receiver - I think that all 4k material will require the new encryption standard and that everything sold without it will essentially not be able to do 4k. The industry usually goes the most restrictive route.

I wish I were wrong, but I don't think these new Denons have the feature either.
Baffling if true. :eek:
Personally, am I also waiting for a HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 receiver...
Likewise.

It sounds like some people buying receivers this
year might be in for a nasty surprise when 4K/UHD Blu-ray finally arrives...

Last edited:
As far as I can tell the new HDMI 2.0 Yamaha and Pioneer receivers don't have HDCP 2.2. The HDMI chipset analysis posted on HDFever - La passion de la haute définition confirms this. Onkyo is the only one who advertises HDCP 2.2 on their new receivers, and they seem to use a different chip.

I wish I were wrong, but I don't think these new Denons have the feature either. Personally, am I also waiting for a HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 receiver - I think that all 4k material will require the new encryption standard and that everything sold without it will essentially not be able to do 4k. The industry usually goes the most restrictive route.

There's no requirement to declare what version of HDCP is implimented. No prior new implementation of HDMI or HDCP has been followed by the manufacturers stating the version of HDCP they are implimentating. It is practically impossible not to have HDCP versio 2.2 if implementing HDMI version 2.0 because HDCP version 2.2 is already encoded into the chipset associated with HDMI version 2. The two things are for all intense purposes the one and the same thing, you are not going to get HDMI 2.0 without HDCP version 2.2 and even if not present then the newer chipset associated with HDMI 2.0 can be upgrade to include HDCP 2.2. It is only versions of HDMI prior to version 2.0 that lack the chipset required for HDCP 2.2. Itf this is not the case then why the hell include HDMI version 2.0 at all?

The only thing that differentiates Onkyo if the fact they mention HDCP 2.2 within their marketing literature. This isn't to say that every manufacturer will follow suit or that their HDMI version 2 equiped devices will not be compliant with HDCP version 2.2 unless they to state this to be the case. Ask Denon if concerned about this and stop reading snippets on the web posted by people who are no better informed about it than yourselves. The only thing I've seen is other people saying Onkyo will have it because Onkyo say so in their lterature and other manufaxturers will not because they don't. Did Onkyo post the HDCP version they used prior to this with ealier HDMI versions???? No, so I assume this is the first time Onkyo has ever implimented HDCP then???

Last edited:
There's no requirement to declare what version of HDCP is implimented. No prior new implementation of HDMI or HDCP has been followed by the manufacturers stating the version of HDCP they are implimentating. It is practically impossible not to have HDCP versio 2.2 if implementing HDMI version 2.0 because HDCP version 2.2 is already encoded into the chipset associated with HDMI version 2. The two things are for all intense purposes the one and the same thing, you are not going to get HDMI 2.0 without HDCP version 2.2 and even if not present then the newer chipset associated with HDMI 2.0 can be upgrade to include HDCP 2.2. It is only versions of HDMI prior to version 2.0 that lack the chipset required for HDCP 2.2. Itf this is not the case then why the hell include HDMI version 2.0 at all?

The only thing that differentiates Onkyo if the fact they mention HDCP 2.2 within their marketing literature. This isn't to say that every manufacturer will follow suit or that their HDMI version 2 equiped devices will not be compliant with HDCP version 2.2 unless they to state this to be the case. Ask Denon if concerned about this and stop reading snippets on the web posted by people who are no better informed about it than yourselves. The only thing I've seen is other people saying Onkyo will have it because Onkyo say so in their lterature and other manufaxturers will not because they don't. Did Onkyo post the HDCP version they used prior to this with ealier HDMI versions???? No, so I assume this is the first time Onkyo has ever implimented HDCP then???

Of course, they don't have to advertise it, but why wouldn't they declare HDCP 2.2 support anywhere at all (I read carefully the specifications in the manuals, and there's no mention of it)?

I am not claiming absolute knowledge, I am just saying that I personally don't believe they have this particular feature, and I'd err on the cautious approach, particularly since the industry is well known for requiring encryption everywhere.

It's quite cynical to sell HDMI 2.0, 4k enabled receivers which probably will never be capable of sending 4k video because of missing encryption which will likely be mandatory as soon as 4k BluRay comes out, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Since when did any of the AV receiver manufacturers previously anoounce the version of HDCP they support? Onkyo announced it so now everyone expects all of the other manufacturers to start doing so. By omitting the version or any mention of HDCP then this isn't to say that the other manufacturers will not support it. Believe what you will, but I'd simply go ask Denon rather than commit myself to unsunstantiated beliefs.

You obviously have no inclination as to how HDCP 2.2 is implemented or as to the chipsets used for HDMI version 2? The reason why earlier versions of HDMI cannot impliment HDCP version 2.2 is because of the chipset they use. The newer HDMI chipset doesn't have this issue.

Also note that 4K UHD Blu-ray will use HDCP 2.2 or higher if it ever becomes a reality. This is just about the only part of the spec that is confirmed. Whether you'll actually ever get a player or a standard is another matter completely. I'd not put money on it though.

If I were to flounder and hesitate then it would have nothing to do with which AV receiver had what version of HDCP and would be be because there's as yet no Blu-ray standard or player to take advantage of any such compatibility. Wait at least another year before even looking at 4K UHD. Absolutely nothing in relation to 4K UHD is standardised yet! Not to mention that the new HDMI version 2.0 receivers will be approximately half the price you'd be paying for one now. What's the big rush? There's no players, no media and very little content.

It should also be noted that the hardware manufacturers have no say on what direction the standards take. They are not responsible for the standards the industry dictates or the direction which HDMI or HDCP take. In many respects the manufacturers are as blind as you are when it comes to predicting the future. You can state that you are using HDMI version 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, but this isn't to say that this will indeed be what is required when or if a Blu-ray standard is finalised?

Last edited:
Since when did any of the AV receiver manufacturers previously anoounce the version of HDCP they support?

They didn't need to. HDMI recommended the use of HDCP, and to my understanding HDCPv1 (this being a family of several versions) were backwards compatible so it didn't matter which specific version you had.

However they're making a clean break with HDCPv2, and HDCP 2.2 will probably be the first of the new family to make it into large-scale distribution of consumer electronics. This version is not backward compatible with HDCPv1, so it's worth announcing support for it, for a change. I didn't read the HDMI 2.0 spec myself, but multiple reports say it doesn't mandate HDCPv2. I did look at the HDMI 1.3 spec, and it didn't mandate HDCP, so this is plausible to me.

It should be noted that HDMI 2.0 with HDCPv1 could be viable for many things - better audio features, for starters - but probably not for protected 4k video.

I don't have a crystal ball, but to me it seems plausible that HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 will be requirements for UHD Blu-Ray, given that the HDCPv2 protocols appear to have been created specifically to protect 4k video. I'd advise anyone looking into a new HDMI 2.0 receiver to understand its capabilities as much as possible and not rush into buying anything.

I will reiterate that I don't know whether the new Denon receivers support HDCP 2.2, and I never said they didn't. I merely said that I don't believe they do, which is something else entirely.

If in doubt, of course one could contact the manufacturer. Personally, I'm waiting for hands-on reports.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom