Denon handshake issues with Sky Q

the fife flyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is anyone still having handshake issues with Sky Q?

I was ready to ditch my AVR but it seems it`s a problem with Sky and not the AVR manufacturers. I spent last night on the Sky forums and it transpires that these issues can be overcome possibly by using this Saxonia HDMI to HDMI Connector CEC-less Adapter Jack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I presume as it plugs directly to the AVR I can still get Atmos? It says removing pin No 13 only resolves the handshake problem. Can anyone confirm that Atmos is still available please?

They also mention a splitter to resolve it. Is anyone using one of these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MBZ3DDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 It seems to work for most on that forum with the problem.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Do you mean the black screen problem? Sky are well aware of this and are simply bury their heads in the sand. I've got into a routine of always turning the Denon off when changing inputs. I've had no trouble with Atmos.

It`s not so much the black screen, the AVR just refuses to connect to Sky sometimes. When setting up the connection I re-set the Sky box, I see the screen where it says 'press home when the screen goes blank' then after that, I can get sound but no picture.

But just to add, I went to play my PS earlier and the AVR lost connection with that. 3 times I had to reboot the amp and PS before it hooked up.
At the end of the day, we shouldn`t need to have an order of input/switch off/on for things to work as they should. When you buy an AVR, they don`t say you must switch on/off in a certain order.

Either that or my AVR is faulty.

Do you have CEC activated on the Denon and other connected units. Try turning that off. I know it's a faff with having to use separate remotes and many have turned to a Harmony control unit to circumvent these problems. The black screen and 'home menu' re-boot is definitely a Sky problem.

Yes I do mate.

It actually wouldn`t bother me to use all the necessary remotes, as long as when I fire them up, they connect and play as they should. They`re right beside me anyway.

I`ll give it a go later. Thanks.

Only thing you might want to try in addition to the prev suggestions is to ensure the Q box standby mode is set to off. In eco I found it worse with my Sony NS1080 av amp and Sony tv. If tv and amp are on I turn sky box on and if it does not connect first time turning the box off and on again makes it work. Switching inputs and going from tv to Q still isn’t great.

Only thing you might want to try in addition to the prev suggestions is to ensure the Q box standby mode is set to off. In eco I found it worse with my Sony NS1080 av amp and Sony tv. If tv and amp are on I turn sky box on and if it does not connect first time turning the box off and on again makes it work. Switching inputs and going from tv to Q still isn’t great.
Thanks mate. Yeah, I always have all my peripherals Eco setting off.
They`re saying on the Sky forums it`s the V2 2Tb box and the roll out of a Netflix update (the anti-copyright thing) in 2018 that is causing the problems.

I blame Denon myself as I`m having issues connecting to the PS as well. BT box......not a problem.

I got that adaptor connector thing (minus pin 13) through the door today but haven`t tried it yes as I`m also waiting for a certified 18Gb ethernet cable coming on Monday. All my others are certified.

I`m ready for rifting the whole lot out the window tbh :) :)

I hear there is a V3 box due for immediate release. Hopefully this might resolve the issue.
We have the same issues with the black screen too. It is a pain. twice or thrice month we have to remove the power to get Sky Q to work.

OK, so after much weeping and wailing :) I have now concluded.

As others have said, switch on the component (i.e Sky box) before switching on the amp. Switching the AVR off 1st as well works for me. The TV defaults to Sky since that`s what I have set up for 'pass through'. Time will tell if it fires up OK tomorrow.

The Pin no 13 removed adapter mentioned earlier works. Whether it`s a coincidence or not, Atmos is achieved through Sky. Tried it out on Sky Atlantic programme Tin Star. This is the one I bought LINDY HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have turned off 'HDMI control' on the AVR

So, all is good for now and hope this helps someone along the way.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ah well.......back to normal. What a pile of ******** this whole thing is.

Am as well off with a soundbar.

I had my first gen sky q box replaced monday and I'm having connection problems with my onkyo AV system and LG 65c9 .
I'm getting a black screen and the only thing that works is to cut the power to the sky box , after a reboot it fine again untill the next day .
My gen 1 sky q box had no such problems in 4 years of use .

I had my first gen sky q box replaced monday and I'm having connection problems with my onkyo AV system and LG 65c9 .
I'm getting a black screen and the only thing that works is to cut the power to the sky box , after a reboot it fine again untill the next day .
My gen 1 sky q box had no such problems in 4 years of use .
It's a well known problem but Sky deny this and blame the various receivers manufacturers, I certainly have trouble with my Denon. You have to get into a routine and this is what works with me.

1 Turn TV and Sky Q on.
2 Turn on receiver and select correct input. Sky should work with the receiver.
3 When you go to change from Sky to another input or want to turn Sky off you have to turn the receiver off first and let the audio return to the TV's speakers. You can then turn off Sky.

If you have CEC enabled then you will have to turn that off as it will crash the damn things again.

Lol I wont be doing all that pal but thanks anyways .
That's insane that you do l that , thanks for the tips but i'm used to pressing home button and everything switches on and works .
Its easier to just flick the switch to the power to the sky box plus my misses wont remember the sequence.
Sky are coming out again Thursday so I'll see what they say .
I'll have them come out and place some a week untill they fix it lol.

Lol I wont be doing all that pal but thanks anyways .
That's insane that you do l that , thanks for the tips but i'm used to pressing home button and everything switches on and works .
Its easier to just flick the switch to the power to the sky box plus my misses wont remember the sequence.
Sky are coming out again Thursday so I'll see what they say .
I'll have them come out and place some a week untill they fix it lol.
Myself and Sky will be having a divorce come the end of the contract. Poor programmes, no HDR, no Atmos on Netflix, poor sound quality on some programmes. Simply not worth the money especially as I'm not a big sports fan.

I’ve never had issues with sky q and a receiver, mind I’ve not had a Denon receiver.
i’ve had Yamaha now I have a Anthem. No issues at all. I can have Sky on without using the receiver. All I do is switch tv on , go to the appropriate input on the tv then switch receiver on , then switch sky on . No problems. And it was the same when I had a Yamaha.

I’ve never had issues with sky q and a receiver, mind I’ve not had a Denon receiver.
i’ve had Yamaha now I have a Anthem. No issues at all. I can have Sky on without using the receiver. All I do is switch tv on , go to the appropriate input on the tv then switch receiver on , then switch sky on . No problems. And it was the same when I had a Yamaha.
It's only happening with the new 2TB box. I didn't have problems prior to the new box. Using my Denon X6200 in pass through it's fine. It's only when I use the receiver for surround duties with Sky. Reading on the Sky.com forum it's really is widespread and a real bone of contention with people.

Ah that answers my theory . I have the v1 2tb box.

Is the v2 box the one with separate power supply? Feels like I've had this problem for so long that I almost can't believe I only had sky q recently enough to have a v2 box

In case anyone is still reading, it’s still a problem and I’m still fed up about it

I changed my 3600 for a 4500 and never had a problem again. Starts up and shuts down perfectly with the Q box every time. Sounds much better too!

I changed my 3600 for a 4500 and never had a problem again. Starts up and shuts down perfectly with the Q box every time. Sounds much better too!
That is great to know. Got a 4500 arriving on Monday! Will be lovey to use the harmony universal remote again too then, had to revert back to *all the remotes* because of this issue

Ah well.......back to normal. What a pile of ******** this whole thing is.

Am as well off with a soundbar.

so you got the adaptor and everything and still the same issues?

so you got the adaptor and everything and still the same issues?
Yep.

Sold the TV and AVR (I had the Samsung Q7 at the time) and waiting on the new eARC enabled 2700H coming in.

Yep.

Sold the TV and AVR (I had the Samsung Q7 at the time) and waiting on the new eARC enabled 2700H coming in.
I had problems with my Q7 and denon 2200. Does seem to have been a Denon 2200+sky issue though as the Denon 4500 + Q7 work perfectly with sky now. That 2700 does look good, I went to preorder it and got offered the 4500 for only a little more. Presumably the problem is fixed in newer models

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom