1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon FM Tuning

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by laurie, May 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    Can someone please try to tune a strong FM station that's in stereo manually and after storing it see it returns to stereo my unit does not return to stereo after a manual tune only auto. One of two things is happening its either a bug with the unit or Denon assumed if you are doing it manually it should return to MONO which is silly logic to me I know the frequencies that I only want to listen to
    cheers laurie

2. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to try it out on my 3802 for you when I read the following in the manual: "When the manual tuning mode is set, FM stereo broadcasts are received in monaural and the "STEREO" indicator turns off." And then I tried it out anyway and I couldn't get the Stereo indicator to come on at all in manual mode.
    Looks like its a "design feature".
    Personally I would just tune in manual mode, then switch to auto before storing. This works fine on my system.

3. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dave next time I give your suggestion a go, good work around
    cheers laurie

4. garyroboff

garyroboff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This "feature" is actually an attempt by many manufacturers to combine into one what were once two separate controls – (1) a stereo/mono switch and (2) an "FM muting" or "interchannel hush" control. I think you will find then when the receiver is in the "auto" mode it is very quiet on frequencies where there is no active broadcast. In this mode, any random noise or weak signal stations that arrive at the receiver at a signal strength insufficient to turn on the stereo demodulator are simply eliminated. That’s the muting feature. In the "mono" mode the receiver passes everything it sees at the antenna inputs, no matter how noisy. That’s important for listeners to hear distant stations. There is so much pressure on designers to add home theater bells and whistles that funds for AM and FM radio execution in today’s receivers are smaller than ever, and having fewer controls is perceived as simplifying operation, even when that is not the case.