Denon DVD900/pal progressive

codling

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

anyone know weather this player is able to do pal progressive?

cheers carl

I am pretty sure the 900 cant do progressive scan at all...the 2800MKII if the lowest of the denon DVD range that can...

HTH ;)

JJ

Well if you check my thread about the DVD-900 then the specs. on Denon's official site in US, reports that the DVD-900 has Prog. Scan...But not in the manual :confused:

I bought this DVD player myself...and I was surprised when I found out that the DVD-900 was powered by the Faroudja DCDi video chip.

denon uk dont mention prog scan on the 900 spec...

hmmm...maybe the 900 IS a differnt spec in the US...this is very likely as denon US and UK often differ and also mix model numers around

I would go by the denon UK site for UK (or european) players...i.e. no prog scan unless you buy the 2800mkII or above...:(

JJ

I think you're right. Looks like I have to contact Denon UK to have it confirmed

The UK version of the DVD 900 has an RGB scart socket instead of the US spec component outputs, because of this it cannot do progressive scan. I know because I have one. I'm not sure however if the UK version has the same 12 bit 54mhz video chip with DCDi like the US version. It kind of makes you feel like your being ripped off really. I know not many people in this country have component inputs on their televsions as of yet but it'll stay that way if companies like Denon keep on nobbling their players by removing features on their players for the UK market. On a side note I also have a Toshiba SD510e with component outputs and a Toshiba television with component inputs. I find that when comparing component picture quality with RGB scart picture quality I get an improvement of about 5% (better colour saturation, slightly sharper) when using component with a similar quality cable. Not a huge improvement but certainly worthwhile.

Originally posted by vc820
The UK version of the DVD 900 has an RGB scart socket instead of the US spec component outputs, because of this it cannot do progressive scan. I know because I have one. I'm not sure however if the UK version has the same 12 bit 54mhz video chip with DCDi like the US version. It kind of makes you feel like your being ripped off really. I know not many people in this country have component inputs on their televsions as of yet but it'll stay that way if companies like Denon keep on nobbling their players by removing features on their players for the UK market. On a side note I also have a Toshiba SD510e with component outputs and a Toshiba television with component inputs. I find that when comparing component picture quality with RGB scart picture quality I get an improvement of about 5% (better colour saturation, slightly sharper) when using component with a similar quality cable. Not a huge improvement but certainly worthwhile.

I have a Sony 28" WEGA Widescreen without Prog. Scan/HDTV. What's your impression of the video quality on the DVD-900? The audio is good to me, but since this is my first dvd player I don't have a chance to compare it with other dvd players in the same price range, so what's your impression on the video and sound the DVD-900 delivers? I bought this player cause I wanted an overall good player without to many fancy features (like dvd-a etc.). I think it's a good player but it's a shame that Denon removed the good features on their European model.

Hi Blaz

Check out my other recent posts regarding the DVD 900 where I compare its picture and sound quality to my Toshiba SD510e.

thanks for the reply's

im inquiring on behalf of my mate,he asked me about it the other day,ive never heared of this model.
ihe seen it at unbeatable.co.uk ,i've looked and its advertised as progressive scan.

think i'll tell him to pass on this one.

cheers carl

Originally posted by vc820
Hi Blaz

Check out my other recent posts regarding the DVD 900 where I compare its picture and sound quality to my Toshiba SD510e.

Thnx! Looks like my purchase wasn't bad after all, but I'm still a bit dissapointed with Denon's marketing stunts, even though I've been a Denon buyer for a long time and I like their products...vc820 do you know any firmware upgrades to the dvd-900. Another thing, have you noticed the "chroma bug" on your player?

I don't think there's any new firmware upgrades available yet. My player was sent out direct from Denon on the 17/12/02 so I guess it must have the latest firmware. As for the chroma bug, no I haven't noticed it. Even if it is present I doubt you'd notice it on a screen size of 32" or less. I've tried the reviewers favourite chroma bug test of the big red button scene from the Fifth Element (I think it's chapter five) and can't see any problems at all. Also tried it with Toy Story another problem film and can't see it.

virtually 100% certain that Denon did a Philips style q50/962 with the 900 and ditched all the progscan internals completely... and then charged a higher price.

;)

I did try one recently just as a comparison with a Denon 2800 mkII (and original indirectly), but it had the same artifacts as these models have always had.. (if you have 4-5 hours, search for denon 2800 artifact... then read through the 20+ pages).

try playing Seven R2 for starters..:)

it may have the same ESS mpeg encoder perhaps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom