1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD3800 component + 36ZP48 = green tint

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ddlooping, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :hiya:

I have fairly recently acquired a Toshiba 36ZP48 and a Mark Grant component cable.
    Progressive scan from my Denon DVD3800 is better than the inbuilt Toshiba one (less "jaggies").
    Progressive scan for my Philips DV720 looks slightly better.
    However, in both cases the image has an overall green tint to it. :(
    The problem can be partially corrected when using the Philips, using its color and tint controls, but the image is noticeably not as good as with the Denon.
    This would point to the problem being the 36PZ46, but I couldn't find what setting to tweak in its service menu.
    I could not find on the Denon any setting to remedy this problem (tint?) either.
    Do you know if this player has a hidden service menu?

If not, do you have any idea how this problem could be fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same issue with progressive scan on both DVD players; but in my case an overall tint is something between yellow and green. and picture is less sharp. A friend of mine have been said to me how progressive scan looks better with a picture from projector and it gives the image slightly movie quality in that case, like in the theater. he is the pro installer of AV equipment and it is based on his experience. The point is progressive scan looks like that in general and as i'm not familiar with your DVD you should try to correct gamma or something like that in video menu.

I don't understand what did you think about 'the inbuilt Toshiba one'? TV sets are capable of progressive scan or not but I don't know nothing about built in progressive? if you don't send progressive signal from DVD TV can't do progressive by itself :confused:

3. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Toshiba 38PZ48 does have a "Progressive Scan" mode. ;)
    Link to specifications
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find any setting that would help correct the "green tint" problem.
    Either I'm missing something or the DVD3800 does not have any color, tint or gamma controls.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello,
    I have a Denon DVD-3800 and a Philips DVD player - neither of which suffers a green tint through component output.
    Have you tried swapping your component leads around - or trying a different set of RCA phono leads altogether - any will do to test.
    Does your TV suffer a green tint on other sources - if not then it cannot really be solved by altering the Service Menu of the Toshiba, if you mainly watch DVDs though you could alter the Green Drive and Green Cut settings in the TV. Make a note of original settings before altering anything.

I am not aware of any Service Menu settings available for the DVD-3800 further to those available in Picture Preferences on the normal menu.

Try the leads before doing anything else - if you haven't already. :cool:

5. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the suggestion, gringottsdirect. :)

The Mark Grant cables are supposed to be top-notch and I seriously doubt they would induce a green tint (specific to the component input) to the image.
    When I can I'll try with other leads though, just to make sure. ;)

I'm using the Toshiba for watching DVDs, "normal" TV as well as playing games, so would rather not make changes that would affect the overall picture.
    I was hoping there'd be a specific setting for the component input on the Tosh.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Cannot help with your problem.........and i know this is prob not what you would want to read..........but.......

Do you have to connect the denon via component......????
    If you are happy with the TV ( apart from the component prob) and do not want to get it changed, then it might be worth connecting the denon via a good scart lead.

There was quite a big descussion on here a few years ago about the PQ on Tosh TV's and it was found that S-Video gave the best PQ.
    I have had 2 Tosh RPTV's in the past and i also found that S-Vid gave the better PQ over RGB and component with my Denon 2900 and this was with trying 3 different component leads, rangeing from £10 to £110.
    My mate has a normal CRT Tosh TV and again, we found the best PQ with his Pioneer 656 was via S-Vid.
    I dont know your Tosh Model and it could well be a new model and maybe they have sorted the PQ out on there set's now, but this is just what i found.

But as mentioned earlyier, it is well worth trying a different cable to see if it is the TV.........i know that it would annoy the S**t out of me :mad:

7. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I had a similar issue but with a Pioneer 575. Tried various other players and 2 different component cables. Green tint , more noticable on dark scenes (bourne supremacy being badly affected). This did not show up using other inputs. Pioneer was worse than the other players but all had the same problem. Took a couple of players and cables around to a friend who also has the 36zp. Picture perfect.
    It was the tosh. I had it changed as it had other problems as well. Problem solved.

regards,
    vnb

8. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    @ chris,

I have found the Toshiba progressive scan to be very good, but not as good as the Denon (except for the slight green tint obviously).
    While looking on the net for a solution to the problem I did find a few reviews/comments saying it was one of the best DVD players in terms of video quality via component (some say better than the DVD-A1).
    Having said that, its RGB output is still very good (noticeably better than the Philips DV720 progressive and RGB outputs) so I might end-up using it this way if I do not find a cure to the green tint. ;)

@ vnb,

Due to the size and weight of the TV I'm a bit reluctant to having it changed (if it was at all possible).
    I'm basically hoping one of the technical gurus on these forums will come up with an easy tweak as remedy (something to do with the green cable impedance maybe).

In any case, thank you both for your replies. :)

P.S: "something to do with the green cable impedance maybe".
    I think I got mixed-up with RGB there. :oops:

9. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    I have had the Tosh 36zp for about a year and have tried lots of different dvd players on this set. At the mo im using a phillips 720 prog. Usually but not always the players seem to do prog better than the set. All of the players ive tried have been better on component than scart or svideo. I spent all night watching a dvd with a green tint not knowing there was a prob. Tried another dvd next day with same result. Tried all kinds of things before finding I had damaged my component lead. If you have green tint its probably lacking red. Have you either tried a new lead or at least swapping the rgb connections around.
    regards

10. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Swapping the connections around, that sounds like a good idea. :smashin:
    Thanks, sparticus. :)

11. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Swapped the connections >> same problem. :/

12. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    My suggestion to be sure that the cable is not at fault is to find 3 normal RCA audio leads and try them. I know they wont be really suitable but you will nonetheless get a picture colour of equal proportions from each lead (3 single if poss).

It may just be possible that your DVD players do not like the Mark grant cable as the output has to contend with more than a matching 75ohm impedance. You could also try cleaning the sockets of the players and TV and the plugs on the cable with an appropriate solvent cleaner.

13. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'll try and borrow a component lead from a friend, thanks for the suggestion. :)