1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD2910 comments/review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mr_incredible, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could any of you guys give me or point me in the direction of getting some reviews or user experience on the Denon DVD2910 dvd player. Im thinking of getting this and just wanted some user info on it. At current I have a Sony RDR-GX3 dvd recorder which I use via component into a Panasonic TH37PE50. The Sony does not have progressive scan but I know the Denon does. Im putting the dvd recorder upstairs as Im getting Sky+. Having said that the Sont does output a very good picture although not p/s.

Any news/comments/reviews would be swell!

Cheers!

2. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Do a search on the forum and have a look at the Magazine reviews which is under "Useful Resources" at the top of the page. Though the 2910 isn;t there im almost sure the 2900 is and its good reading!

3. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as you will be connecting it to a panasonic plasma, please consider, that the 2910 is plagued by macroblocking; I myself went from a 2910 to the 3910 because of it (PW6), the 3910 being fine in the MB-department; or go for the pioneer 868 that does not use the faroudja-chip. pay attention to what you will be connecting to your plasma! I suggest some research in to MB.
    kind regards
    thomas

4. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erntebrot, is that only for ntsc discs regarding the bacroblocking? all my dvds are pal? Am I right in this or does it effect pal discs also? Getting worried now!

5. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry - macroblocking!

6. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it effects pal and ntsc; the combination of effected player und panasonic plasma (PW6 generation) is not a healthy one.
    kind regards
    thomas

7. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm using it with a Samsung LCD with no obvious macroblocking. All in all a very good player for the money. Obviously you'll get better results by spending more but for £500 I'm very happy with my purchase.

8. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Its also faultless with hdmi into an xde.

9. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    is it only with the PW6 generation Plasmas??

im looking at getting the 7 or 8 series with this player!!!!

10. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the Panasonic TH37PE50 which is an 8th generation screen. Does this make a difference?

11. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe, that all panasonic panels from generation 6 are somewhat incompatible with faroudja-based players ( as far as MB goes ). according to www.hometheaterhifi.com and my own experience the 3910 has the lowest amount of MB of all faroudja-based players; in fact on my pw6 I have not noticed any MB, while the 2910 and the panasonic s97 showed lots of it. I recommend research in www.avsforum.com.
    good luck
    thomas

12. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Beware to all people being put off - I've seen a Denon 2910 plugged into a PW6 on a variety of discs, and all of them look absolutely beautiful.

Its my opinion that this MB is not as big an issue as people are pointing out - I think some people need to relax, sit back and ENJOY rather than picking holes :)

13. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm concerned here. I have a pioneer 444 which I am thinking of replacing with the denon 3910. Am I actually going to a get a worse picture as I don't see any signs of what you explain macroblocking to be on the 444. Should I look elsewhere then?

14. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way I have a 6 series panny plasma and will use component input

15. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will get a stunning picture with the 3910 on your pw6 using a component input and so little MB that you won't notice - don't be concerned. just make sure that you get a new 3910, that will resolve blacker than black and has firmware 6609-9 at least - 3910's from before february 2005 have had problems with BTB, and I know of some who got rid of theirs because of it. the comment about "picking holes" is somewhat justified - but I could simply not recommend a panasonic s97 because of the MB-issue, on pw6 or sharp-lcd very visible indeed. tell people who have just spend thousends on tvs and dvd-players to relax with macroblocking all over their screens. and "unlight" himself is only running a pioneer 575 - the denon 2910 even with MB slaughters that one ...
    mark.king if you have the cash for the 3910 - don't hesitate to get it.
    thomas

16. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers. Yes I have the money and have seen it over a projector I just got a little concerned with this issue of macro blocking seen as I don't get this on my cheap pioneer 444. Have to wait a few weeks yet anyway so will maybe get a chance to look at through a plazma screen. Preferably a panny

17. jrosado

jrosado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a Panny PW6 and a Denon 2910 and not a single MB issue here. The problems were with the 2900. 2910 has no macroblock issue with the Panny PW 6 plasmas series!