Denon DVD2800mkII Pal Progressive *OFFICIAL FIRMWARE AVAILABLE*

Dimmy

Ex Member
Reaction score
FINALLY, Hayden Labs have made available to all UK customers the official firmware update disc that makes the Denon DVD2800mkII PAL Progressive.

You will need to either contact your dealer, who will be able to get hold of the disc & update your firmware as necessary. Or contact Hayden Laboratories yourself, who will send the CD with the firmware on it to your home address. Both the disc and the update are free of charge, do not agree to pay your dealer a fee for the update.

If you wish to contact Hayden Labs yourself you'll need to call them on this number:

01753 888447

Ask the person who answers to be put through to 'Product Support', and when your call is answered here, request the disc for the firmware to be sent to you. You'll be asked for your home address & it'll be posted to you, expectedly arriving to you within two days.

Instructions of how to update the firmware will be sent to you in the post. Just so you know what you're getting into, it's simply placing the disc in the drawer of the DVD player - like any other CD - and pressing 'Play' once the player has loaded the disc.

This update will de-activate any Multiregioning of your player that has already been carried out. Once you've updated the firmware you will be left with a Region 2 player. There is no way around this.

The disc should be with me tomorrow or the day after (it was posted today). Do not PM me asking for me to send you the firmware files over the internet. If you do this, I'll just ignore your message. Forum mods are not happy for me to do this until Hayden Labs have OK'd it, and I haven't asked them if it's okay yet. I don't expect them to encourage such activities, so you may aswell be patient and just ask Hayden Labs to post you the disc.

However, you're welcome to PM me if you have any more questions about this issue or if you need any help with contacting hayden labs/updating the firmware.

Dimmy

Hi Dimmy, as I have a perfect working Pal Progressive and Multiregion 2800MKII I'd really be interested to know what the firmware versions are once you get it installed, ESS and DRV, to compare with my own.

Cheers

Ryan

Well it's obviously going to be different, but I'll let you know anyway :).

Bump, for those yet to read it :p.

Firmware arrived in the post today.

Many thanks to Hayden Labs :clap:

i think we should make this a sticky, good job dimmy :)
will order mine tomorrow.
fred

Thanks for sharing the good news about the update with everybody Dimmy. I know you've been really pushing Denon over recent months to finally get this firmware released. I'd also like to add my thanks to Hayden Laboratories for sending my firmware disk out so quickly. I ordered it on Thursday and received it today (Saturday) excellent.
Now onto the firmware disk itself. The disk as mentioned above is a PAL progressive update for the DVD-2800 MKII, DVD 3800 and DVD-A1. It is region 2 only. Once installed it sets my machine (2800 MKII) to ESS 9104-4 and DRV 6200-2. My 2800 MKII is a very late model. So earlier machines may have a different DRV number to mine.
The disc appears to contain the same firmware as Denon Germany released at the end of August last year. The upgrade file is dated 19th June 2003 (same as Denon, Germany). I don't know if any modifications have been made to the code since its original release. Some of you updating with this disc may run into problems if using the supplied instructions. Once you get to the initialisation stage it tells you to switch the machine off and then on. Hold down the skip forward, play and open/close buttons together for longer than three seconds until the display reads initialize. I found this didn't work for me but suspect it works on the 3800 and DVD-A1. If you have problems initializing your 2800 MKII try the following. Switch the power off and then on again. While holding the skip back [<< and pause buttons together press the open/close button for longer than three seconds until initialize appears on the dsiplay. Remember use the buttons on the units front panel and not the remote control otherwise it will not work.
Since installing the upgrade I've had no problems with any discs in my collection (about 150). No more freezes, picture breakup, or lipsync issues e.t.c. I'm currently running in interlaced through component outputs. I can't wait to finally get a new display that supports PAL progressive to really see what this baby can do.

Excellent :clap:.

Not updating mine until I get a PAL Progressive display (I don't have any picture breakup problems as the original firmware from the factory is still on my player).

Glad to hear it sorted out your problems :smashin:.

Strange ESS 9104-4 is the same one I've got on mine and have had for a few months and its free of all problems, pal progressive and multi-region, has anyone tried a R1 dvd in their updated MKII yet, Dimmy, VC820?

Not yet (I have only one R1 disc), but will do :).

Rscott, I've just tried a couple of region 1 discs and they don't work. So I can confirm that this update is region 2 only. Where did you get your multi region version from?

Hayden Labs via my local Sevenoaks, it seems strange that we're using the same firmware, both without any problems, but one is multiregion and one isn't? The only thing I can think of is that mine is a multiregion modified version of the official firmware, hence the same firmware version reported, though that does seem strange that they wouldn't give it a different version number?

Hmm, Fred123go contacted hayden labs and was told they wouldn't send the firmware directly to him, only to his dealer :confused:.

If anybody encounters this problem, PM me, and I'll try and sort something out for you.

Up for those who haven't read it.

Updated my firmware today for the hell of it, it really works :p.

Originally posted by Dimmy
Do not PM me asking for me to send you the firmware files over the internet. If you do this, I'll just ignore your message. Forum mods are not happy for me to do this until Hayden Labs have OK'd it, and I haven't asked them if it's okay yet. I don't expect them to encourage such activities, so you may aswell be patient and just ask Hayden Labs to post you the disc.

However, you're welcome to PM me if you have any more questions about this issue or if you need any help with contacting hayden labs/updating the firmware.

Dimmy

Did you read the original post?

MrC - have you tried contacting Hayden Labs?

Well, here's my story with this player.

Bought a Denon 2800 mkII just over a year ago, multi-region and PAL progressive, from a guy off e-bay through an authorised Denon dealer. From day one I had problems with it sticking in various places on various DVDs, along with picture breakup. I tried various settings thinking I might have fixed, all to no avail.

Throughout constant dialogue with my dealer, we tried a firmware upgrade....to the 9103 version.....that seemed to fix some, but not all of the sticking problems and I was still getting constant break up on the bottom third of the screen, in particular on DVDs Silence of the Lambs and Signs. This seemed to always happen when I went into subtitles or menu options.

In the summer '02, the DVD went back to Denon and they replaced the laser pick up.

When the unit was returned, I still had the screen break up issue and on Xmas Eve it stopped playing CD's at all. Back to Denon. When speaking to their repairs they advised that they were replacing the tracker assembly on all coming in.

The unit finally made it back to me mid-Feb and it still broke up on the DVDs as above. Over the Xmas I'd bought Saving Private Ryan..that also had break up. I discussed with Denon (even talking to the engineer who repaired my player), he advised that I would need to refer back to my dealer - suspect they cannot do any more.

By now my official one year warranty with my dealer has run out...but I'm still covered under statutory rights to have it repaired for several years (for info see the Which? website on your rights).

The dealer has not returned any of my e-mails and the shop he bought it from advises that I need to return the unit to my dealer, he returns to them, they return to Denon for fix.

I reckon the issue is with my player being multi-region and no proper firmware will fix that. I've since downloaded the firmware from Mr Merrick (see other threads) and that has made my firmware version 6098.

Now touch wood, I don't get any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still progressing with my dealer since I've no confidence that it'll start playing up again shortly!

Let you know how I get on...anyone with advice then please reply by all means!

So you're trying to acquire the firmware mentioned in this thread I take it?

Rang Denon Tech Support, they kindly sent me my disk, and I received this within 48 hours. I confirm it reverts the player to region 2 only. (Not an issue for me as I have a HTPC in my rack which is multiregion)

Seems very stable and fixes all my picture tearing probs so far.

Originally posted by nigill
By now my official one year warranty with my dealer has run out...but I'm still covered under statutory rights to have it repaired for several years (for info see the Which? website on your rights).

Denon DVD players are fully guaranteed for two years by Denon, through your authorised dealer.
Your statutory rights do NOT cover you to have it repaired for several years, the information on Which website should be more clear that this legislation is to protect the supplier from claims beyond seven years, it doesn't mean you can claim free repairs for seven years. This is often being mentioned by posters who argue the case in threads then disappear - good luck trying though.
I think even Dimmy has finally come around to the idea that the " alternative " firmwares allowing Pal-Progressive and/or Multi-Region actually originate from WITHIN Denon. They are not developed by mysterious Lone Gunmen types working away in blacked out RVs in the Arizona desert. Months ago when I posted this Dimmy responded that Tony Blair is an alien, might agree on that point ! :)
The 2800Mk2 freezes are laser assembly related, irrespective of firmware revisions and if your player freezes it should be put right under Denon's warranty - or replaced with latest model. Contact Roger Bachelor at Hayden Labs, telephone 01753 888447, fax 01753 880109.

Hi All,

Thanks for the info......useful stuff and exactly what I wanted to get from the forum.

I don't reckon I'm after the firmware version heading this thread since it wont retain my multi-region bit. I bought the player as multi-region and have bunches of R1 discs that would be useless. If the player wont do what it said on the tin then blah blah blah....

As for the length of warranty....if I'd got the player direct from the shop then I'd understand having two years warranty. However, since I bought it from someone who got it from them - does the warranty duration transfer? Anyone know? I hope the arguement about statutory rights doesn't get exercised.

As for the fix, well Denon have today replied to an e-mail saying that I should get it to Stratford Hi-Fi and then onto them for repair. Sounds good to me.

If the freezing is laser assembly related, are the picture breakups also? I'm not getting any of the former right now but you never know! Maybe that's because I've had the laser pickup and tracker replaced.

Let you know how I get on with Denon.

nigill - a reliable source has suggested to me that the laser pickup was the very problem with the 2800mkII in the first place, and firmware problems were 'secondary' to this.

I've had the same problems as yourself, wanting a multi-region 2800mkII that works aswell as PAL Progressive and no issues, but there really is no way around it.

My own solution was to use two players. The DVD2800mkII for PAL R2 DVDs and a budget Pioneer DV565A for R1 NTSC Progressive playback.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom