Denon DVD2800 lip synch

N

nutter

I have a Denon DVD2800 (most impressed with the performance!!) and I am thinking of getting a 42" panasonic/toshiba plasma screen, unfortunately I have heard about this lip synch problem with the Denon DVD2800 when used with this screen. I have checked the firmware version I have installed (ESS2248) and I am trying to find out if this version of the firmware fixes this bug. Can anybody help me??

Also does anybody have one of these players hooked up to a 42" Panny/Toshiba plasma screen and if so any problems??

cheers in advance

Fact - The silicon image PS chipset introduces a 3 field delay into the video signal (approx 50 / 60 milliseconds) which can be irritating once you have spotted it. This happens on both 525/60 and 625/50 material and is 10 milliseconds worse in the latter.

You need to delay the signal by this much in your AV processor to bring things back into sync. Top AV processors, e.g. from Meridian, TAG, Lexicon and Arcam support this.

Otherwise you need to apply this delay in the DVD player. AFAIK only the Arcam models (DV88P and DV27) support this.

JOhn Dawson (Arcam)

Thanks for that John, its nice to finally understand the reason for the problem. Unfortunately as much as I would like to own a top class amp and DVD player the old money situation sort of resticts me a little!!!!!

I don't suppose there is a fancy little black box that can introduce this delay in the sound signal for me between the amp and the DVD player??

thanks again

I too have the 2248 firmware, and have noticed LipSync problems on Star Wars episode1.

The Matrix also shows serious Artifacts at 40 seconds, freezes up at i think its 41:07 and then starts again about 12 seconds later.

There are also serious Artifacts on Contact, Lost in Space and Magnolia.

These do not appear on other models, including player's costing sub £100.

I have contacted Denon and they advise me to send my player back, which i am doing this weekend.

From other posts on these forums, I am not alone, and this seems to have affected loads of people with this player.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom