1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD1910 Picture Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyboy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if anyone can help with this but..............

I was watching LOTR - FOTR and ROTK through Progressive Scan on my JVC28P37SJE and on dark backgrounds there are patches of black 'blocks' that appear and disappear and they make the picture unwatchable.

These went away when I switched to Component Interlaced so I don't know what's causing it. Also some films appear terribly grainy but neither of these problems happened with my Pioneer 575

Anyone able to help ?

:suicide:

2. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Andy,

This is just a stab in the dark really.....but when I first got my 3910, I found that the blacks were very grainy and often I saw this in "blocks" of dfferent colour blacks. I left the 3910 set up as it was, so didnt play about with any of the picture enhancements on the machine.

I did play about with the TV a lot though and used LOTR as a test disc, eventually after being patient fiddling with the contrast and tint on the TV, these blacks remained blacker than black. I dont get the issue anymore.

Its strange though how this happens via Prog Scan, and not interlaced.

3. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the "famous" macroblocking effect which is being caused by a bug in the deinterlacer chip. This haunts all of Faroudja's FL-23xx series deinterlacers, the 1910 has FL-2301 while 2910, 3910 and Panny DVD-S97 have the FL-2310. By reading user reports it seems that 2910 and 3910 have this problem to a bit of lesser degree than the Panny which has managed to gather up a bit of reputation due to this particilar problem.

4. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has totally annoyed the hell out of me, I paid £199 for this player cos my 575's jaggies were doing my head in and then this happens !

I am taking it back to Superfi at lunch today, getting a refund cos I paid on a credit card but here is the question.........

ANY SUGGESTED REPLACEMENTS THAT DON'T SUFFER FROM THIS ? :suicide:

5. Tbone

Tbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my 1910 this past week and I saw what you were talking about as well. Have you adjusted the black level option? I turned off the feature and that issue went away. It's on page 22 of the manual, it's through the mode feature that you can press during playback.

6. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No mate I didn't try that but I was also bothered by a weird level of grain on my R2 Bourne Supremacy and my LOTR discs in particular - is this due to the black level adjustment ?

I tried the same parts of the films on my Pioneer DV575 and the grain wasn't there but the jaggies had returned ! aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh !!!!! :suicide:

What do you think of the Denon ? I wasn't impressed by what I saw but perhaps I hadn't set it up properly after all ?

7. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Theres lots of grain in this one, it was filmed this way.

:thumbsup: