• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon DVD-A1XVA and Oppo 93 vs Oppo 105

tmcg

I currently use the Denon for SACD/DVD-A and CD playback, and the Oppo 93 for Blu ray etc.
I am considering replacing them with the Oppo 105. Accepting that the Blu ray playback will probably be identical with the Oppo 93, what are peoples thoughts on the audio quality between the Denon and Oppo 105? - I would use analogue on both.

I use an Onkyo PRSC886 as a preamp and would still use it rather than utiliising the Oppo 105's capability.
I may be wasting my money, so thoughts appreciated.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
To my slight embarassment, I have an Oppo 93, Oppo 95, Denon A1XV and Denon A1UD. I don't think newer is necessarily better, but on analogue outputs, I think the A1XV has gotten left behind the times somewhat.

The Oppo 93 is somewhat worse and the 95 somewhat better, though a rather different style - more explicit and etched, rather than natural and flowing. I believe the 105 is slightly better than the 95, but they're perhaps not quite as good as some people would have you believe.

I still use my A1XV for I-link duties into my Sony amp, and its better than anything else - nothing even comes close.

The Oppo 93 makes a good DVD and BD player if using bitstream into the SC886.

Regards, Nick

tmcg

Hey Nick,
Thanks for your thoughts. I only use bitstream on the 93 to the 886. I suspect from your comments, that for SACD/CD playback I should look at a dedicated high-end player? Having said that, as I playback all my CD music from my Olive 4 (which I think has a more mellow and preferable sound than the A1XV), I might as well keep my wallet shut,
So my son and wife thank you!

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
I suspect from your comments, that for SACD/CD playback I should look at a dedicated high-end player?
Yes, I think that universal players are generally Jacks Of All Trades, even the BDP105 and DVD-A1UD. Audio-only players are so much simpler, less compromised and better value.

Nick

felty99

Welwynnick said:
Yes, I think that universal players are generally Jacks Of All Trades, even the BDP105 and DVD-A1UD. Audio-only players are so much simpler, less compromised and better value.

Nick

Agree with Nick's thoughts. The Oppo 105 I auditioned was ok for 2ch music, much better for 5.1 films, certainly nowhere near the level of my Naim 2ch system (ND5). Need to be wary of the emporer's new clothes on here.

Used to have a Denon 3800 which was a better all-rounder. Only the Primare BD32 I loaned over Xmas comes anywhere near to being all things to all people with a lovely sense of musicality. £3-£3.5k new though. Went for the Oppo 105 as it's used solely for film and prefer it's emphasis on detail and dynamics.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Can the a1xva carry dolby digital/dts over hdmi?

It's supposed to but there is a fault/bug so it only outputs PCM over HDMI and the Dolby/DTS tracks are decoded internally. I don't think any firmware was ever released to correct the issue.

You can get around it by using either the Optical or Coaxial outputs and just using the HDMI for video. Alternatively just leave it as is and your AVR/Processor will see it as a Multichannel PCM signal rather than Bitstream.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom