Denon DVD-A1XV

a3nige

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Anyone know much about this new DVD player, from the little I have read it sounds like the 'Dogs Kahunars' (albeit at a price) Nothing yet on Denon's website.
Nige

Its Denons flagship player, after the 3910. This will be called the 5910 in some places and the A1XV in others. Basically it has the same functions as the 3910 but a new deinterlacing chip. Not the faroudja chip all the others use.
Im sure its a very nice player, but it seems silly to spend all that money on a DVD player thats about to be replaced by HD DVD or Blu Ray.
Buy a 3910 or 2910 and save the rest for the new formats!

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/products/contents/dvda1xv.html

Thanks AML,
Just found out it also goes by the 5910 tag. Did a search for '5910' on the forum & came up with a lot of interesting reading. Maybe it's not quite the 'Dogs Kahunars' I thought. Still, early days will continue to read & learn. Thanks again.
Nige

probaly the best dvd player to date, but for its price it may be wiser to get a Scaler/deinterlacer and a cheaper dvd player and get the benifit for all your sources. Id wait for a realta or Gennum based scaler which are due soon, At least these will or should work with the new HD-DVD players as well.

I just got an e-mail from AVLand .. it's region locked and there's no MR firware yet. Bloody stupid. :(

Strike that from my list of possible purchases.

Thats quite usual for denon. They release the R2 version first and the firmware region patch follows a mth afterwards. it was the same with the A11 and 3910 i had, so standard practice realy. (for Denon anyway)

gandley said:
Thats quite usual for denon. They release the R2 version first and the firmware region patch follows a mth afterwards. it was the same with the A11 and 3910 i had, so standard practice realy. (for Denon anyway)

I played that game with the 3800, and its was wayyyyyy more than a month. If Denon seriously think they can charge 2 grand plus for a region locked R2 player, then they're smokin' something illegal!

:nono:

gandley said:
Thats quite usual for denon. They release the R2 version first and the firmware region patch follows a mth afterwards.
It may be usual, it;'s still absurd on a player of that price to expect people to wait patiently and hope. I for one won't.

Then wait then for an MR unit, I realy dont see the problem.
@ 2.5k, better not to just jump in anyway.

The A1XV is now up on Denon UK wedsite, including the operating instructions.

anyone know any shops in the london/surrey area that have this unit on demo yet? i can't find it anywhere. i don't know how they expect to sell any units of such a high price machine when you can't even see the thing before buying!

Go to www.denon.co.uk and under retailers search for THX dealers. they should have it or be able to get one for you, check first before seeing them.

i already rang all the thx dealers in my area and none of them had it. the tone of their voices also implied that they weren't even interested and had no intention of stocking the unit either. maybe they just don't see it as a profit maker due to the high price and low demand.

Based on that i would contact Denon themselves and see if they know who has, or will be getting one.

Got mine a week ago, locked to R2.
Took it to the dealer yesterday for the MR firmware install.
Unfortunately couldn't get hold of the Firmware CDR. :mad:

It works :)
I tried R1,2,3 and RCE disks.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware version on this player?

well if it's anything like the other denon players:
switch the player off
press and hold the 'play' and 'open/close' buttons
keep holding and switch the player on
once the player has powered up, let go of the buttons
press the 'menu' button on the remote to scroll through the various firmware details
switch the player off when finished and on again to return to normal

where did you get your player by the way? do they have a unit on demo?

Shortround,

Thanks.
I tried yours and the 3910 method. None works with the A1XV.

I got mine in Lisbon, Portugal and yes they just received another one which is now on demo, already upgraded to MR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom