Denon DVD-A1XV DVI-D output - anyone tried it?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Folks, if you use a normal VGA cable plugged into the the DVI-D output (using a DVI-D to VGA adapter) of the Denon DVD-A1XV and the other end plugged into a normal computer monitor, does it work?
Is it possible to plug the Denon DVD-A1XV directly into the RGBHV inputs of a CRT projector?

Well, a DVI-D port should not be supporting analog RGB output (hence the -D). You'd need either a DVI-A or DVI-I port, which supply an analog signal or both, respectively.

Assuming you do get an analog RGB signal, you should be able to display it on any device that support both the resolution supplied and the refresh rate. This can be quite problematic for 50 Hz playback, but 60 Hz usually is acceptable for LCD screens.

AFAIK the A1XV does not supply the HV signals on the output side but merely provides BNC and RCA component signal output. You may be able to use that, though, if your CRT projector supports synchronisation that way.

I tried it with the Denon A11 and had no joy, The dvi-d port still needs to do the HDCP handshake, I did try some of my home copies and again no joy.

If I understand the blurb right, then the only direct connection would be via component - but this is only 480p/576p which is no good since I need 720p.
So the internal video processing of this unit is no use at all for CRT projector owners. Bummer.

Stuart Wright said:
So the internal video processing of this unit is no use at all for CRT projector owners. Bummer.

Well it might be if you invested in one of those "naughty boxes"... ;)

Steve

All these new DVD players use HDCP digital conections. Wether its DVi-D or HDMI.

I dont know of any that use analog outputs that offer higher than 525p,
If you want 720p or 1080i u would need to go digital.
Thats not to say that a player offering 720p/1080i through component doesnt exist!

as dutch mentioned yo can get a little gadget that will strip away the HDCP protection thus allowing you to use a HDCP signal on a none HDCP device, its not cheap though

Can you post more details, please? Links to where you can buy them etc?
Remembering that a top DVD player like this into a Barco projector should not have any dodgy kit in the signal path.

Thanks. Ok, so the cable needed is DVI-D to DVI-D ?
The Dtrovision gadget has one type of connection while the Denon has another. :confused: The Dtrovision connector is the image on the left.
This is NOT user friendly. :thumbsdow
[Edit - I suppose I could use an HDMI (out of the Denon) to DVI-D (in of the Dtrovision) cable?]

Attachments

• ddcda1_view.jpg
    ddcda1_view.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 1_dg_av_DVDA1XV_back.jpg
    1_dg_av_DVDA1XV_back.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 79
Well the Denon has a Dual Link DVI-D connector whereas the Dtrovision box has a Dual Link DVI-I connector which has the additional pins for an analog RGB connection.

dvi.gif

You should be fine with a standard DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

As a side note I found that the output from my 3910 via HDMI supported blacker-than-black whereas the DVI output didn't - now this may just have been a compatability issue between it and my S3, never tried DVI on the S4, and not a general thing and may not even affect your super-duper player anyway...just thought I'd mention it.

Using a HDMI to DVI-D lead would also work just fine I would have thought.

Cheers, Lee

Stuart

what is you aim here and I might be able to answer a bit better.

There are many other alternative boxes out there.

Nic Rhodes said:
Stuart

what is you aim here and I might be able to answer a bit better.

There are many other alternative boxes out there.

To get the 720p output of the Denon DVD player into the RGBHV of my Barco 1209.
At the moment the most likely scenatio is to take the DVI-D output of the player and convert that into a VGA output using the gadget described above.
This would be convenient as I currently have a VGA to RGBHV cable buried under the floor and replacing that cable would be somewhat of a nightmare involving lifting up a carpet (and therefore everything on top of it) in more than one place.

I emailed Digital Connection asking about the Dtrovision and they replied saying that it sometimes had problems with HDMI and this one
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/dda.asp
would be more appropriate. At $210 delivered, it's significantly cheaper. Anyone know anything about these?

The link mentions nothing about HDCP compatability...did Digital Connection state that it does strip the HDCP encryption ? I assume it must otherwise they would not have recommended it for use with HDMI which always employs HDCP.

I think you'll have to be the guinea pig on this one though mate.

Cheers, Lee

My DVD player allows you to scale 720p or 1080i through the component sockets, according to the on-screen setup.
Bit of an invstment compared to an equally effective cheaty box...........

Stuart

If you go direct from your player (ie not through your scaler) then the following ‘might' work

http://www.ophit.com/Procut01_08.asp

http://www.dtrovision.com/dcda1.htm

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_ite...37&&category=12

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_ite...38&&category=12

each can be a little hit and miss and may not always work. They all output RGBHV, if you want to output digital into a scaler look at the last one. The links are to manufacturers sites but you should have no problem finding stockist either here, Germany or the US ;) There are one or two ‘other' solutions but I think you will find the above the most suitable. Bare in mind that if they work now, they not always work!!

There are other solutions coming to the market shortly but they require internal fitting.

Hello all

Well now I've seen it all :)

If it wasn't for Rule 13 I'd cite Rule 4 of the AVForums members Rules :devil:

Stuart why are you bothering? Better to get a lower cost DVD player with SDI or decent Analogue outputs and install a decent Video Processor between that and your CRT Projector.

Way more flexible and appropriate for your needs.

Best regards

Joe

Joe Fernand said:
Hello all

Well now I've seen it all :)

If it wasn't for Rule 13 I'd cite Rule 4 of the AVForums members Rules :devil:

Stuart why are you bothering? Better to get a lower cost DVD player with SDI or decent Analogue outputs and install a decent Video Processor between that and your CRT Projector.

Way more flexible and appropriate for your needs.

Best regards

Joe
Eh? Your comments about rules has whooshed over my head.
I'm reviewing the Denon. It's sitting infront of me.

:eek: and you are reviewing it and you don't understand Joe's comments? :eek: wow, I must live a sheltered life :rolleyes:

Nic Rhodes said:
:eek: and you are reviewing it and you don't understand Joe's comments? :eek: wow, I must live a sheltered life :rolleyes:
I don't understand what he's going on about when referring to the rules, no.
Which is why I wrote 'Your comments about rules has whooshed over my head'.
Of course I understand about his further comments. I currently have an SDI modded Arcam into a 3D Holograph card in a dedicated PC outputting 720p.
This replaced several HCPCs.
So I kind of know a reasonable amount about the subject. :rolleyes:
But this is my first deliving into digital video into an analogue device, and by the looks of it, it's new to most people.
I'll be getting a couple of convertor boxes to test and I'll report on their performance.

interesting to see how you get on with the converter boxes, I have started trying these as well.

Don't forget to try several benchmark discs on this player not just the HQV one ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom