Denon DVD-A1XV Demo at Bristol Show

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Costas, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I would welcome here comments / inputs from other members that have also witnessed these demos.

In the particular one that I attended yesterday, Denon focused on demostrating the image processing improvements of the DVD-A1XV due to the new introduction of the Silicon Optix / Teranex chip eliminating all visible noise and jaggies. The presenter used the "Apocalypse Now" DVD to show the effect but as he said not the "Re-Dux" latest release version because.... this has been cleaned! He pointed also that this machine can do a lot of good to our big DVD collections! A represaentative of Silicon Optix demonstrated also the effect (jaggies removal) on a waving American flag. However no other film material was used other than the opening scene of Apocalypse Now.

Ok, I ended up feeling not impressed against the price tag of the player and what is claimed to achieve... (improved old noisy processed films?!??).

Did anyone see any different demo of the player? Did you really feel that this new flagship player justifies the claims and against competition and price tag?

2. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Costas,

I have the original A1 DVD player, and I can tell you that this player is awesome. Denon have updated the player with up to date techonology. I would seriously recommend the A1, ergo, the A1VX. If you can afford the price tag, these are VERY good machines!. :thumbsup:

Ian.

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    IanW
    Thanks for the input. I currently use the Pioneer 868 with HDMI. I guess the performance of the top A1 player must be above the 868. I could not no see anything better to my eyes when I compared the 868 with the Denon 3910. Then the type of demo from Denon on Saturday with the materail used left me wondering more than I did before the presentation..

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    I wasn't awestruck by it. At the end of the day, it's got an onboard scaler. Maybe a better one than many, but just a scaler. I reckon the scaler in my Sony VW10 projector does nearly as good a job.

I gather that, the more diagonals/jaggies there are in the picture, the less well it copes with them. Something to do with the processor running flat out all the time to do what it does.

But, it's a start. I'll wait for a few generations to pass by. In a couple of years, this will be both cheaper, and much better, I guess.

5. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all,

I must admit, i havent seen the new denon playing yet but surely one would have to question wether its really worth spending around £2K on a DVD player when HD DVD and or BLU RAY is just around he corner??

Also in my opinion the money would be far better spent on a descent scaler (highly recommend Lumagen) which would benefit more visual sorces and probably for a longer period of time as new updates are released all the time!

I'm sure it is a good player but this is just how i see it!

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    £2500, will get a very good scaler that will no doubt have full realta abilities(ie scaling as well) or even the very good Gennum VX? based chip.(when they are available)
    DVDO are soon to release a HDMI based Scaler/deinterlacer so the choice will soon be here.(and i bet it will be around £1300 or less as well)

I think £1700 is a good ceiling for a top end dvd player, any higher and i dont see the point.(even if its very good, DVD has limited resolution end of story). But i`ll take a demo of the Denon then make a choice then

7. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i attended a homecinema show last november at novotel, hammersmith and they had the denon DVD-A1XV on demo and they had the same Apocalyse now dvd for the demo.
    I was not that convinced that even thought the dvd player does a good job cleaning up the picture, it was not that great. But in some instances it was pretty sensational.

But i keep wondering, who would such a player when HD/BLUE RAY are round the corner and bog standard dvd will be old news ??

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello all

I have to say I cant quite grasp the point of this player - its got what's billed as the worlds best 'Hollywood Quality' video processor on board but it also requires a different brand scaling engine; what's that all about?

If Dale Adams from DVDO hadn't pointed out in an earlier thread that this unit had a NEW 10 Bit DVDO scaling engine you would never have known after the demonstration in Bristol - DVDO was mentioned but not with the same reverence as Silicon Optix.

The Silicon Optix demo on the Fujitsu Plasma certainly made for interesting viewing with the hand picked source material but I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw via the DLP projector with the rest of the demo clips selected.

Oddly enough the image looked (to me) much better on the Fujitsu plasma than it did on the big 3 chip DLP - the one being projected onto a 4:3 Fast Fold screen that had a horizontal crease on it; you'd have thought a new surface would have been sourced when that one was obviously damaged.

I noticed too that different demo clips were having different levels of the Noise Reduction process applied - you'll have to be on your toes when using this technology!

I'm with the previous posters - a 'lesser' DVD Player that can output 480i and 576i via HDMI + a decent Video Processor with multiple Inputs looks like a far better buy than this Denon player.

I also don't understand the system 'hierarchy' of the DVD-A1XV + AVC-A1XV - why have a Faroudja DCDi video Deinterlacer plus scaling engine in the AV Amp when you already have a NEW 10 Bit DVDO plus Silicon Optix set-up in the DVD player.

I would have thought the Silicon Optix plus DVDO combo could have been utilised better for both units - you get a great looking Noise Reduction system in your DVD player but you cant use it with the rest of your sources; which could potentially benefit from it more than you DVD player can!!!

Best regards

Joe

9. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the price of this DVD player, this time next year you could buy a Region 1 HD-DVD, Region 1 Blu-Ray, Region 2 HD-DVD, Region 2 Blu-Ray players and still have enough change for a 2910 DVD player. However much it may improve older DVD's I'd find it hard to justify spending this sort of money on a DVD player these days.

I also thought the musical qualities of the AV amp they were showing were very poor for the price (although it did the AV stuff OK).

10. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

I'm curious to see the player, but can we stop the ..... next year you'll be able to buy blah blah.
    Isnt the point it gives you a fantastic picture now and you wont have to wait for HD discs to become available. I realise HD will be better.
    John

11. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The AVC-A1XV scaler only deals with the anaolgue video. You can upscale your pictures to 720p or 1080i and come out of component. The digital side is just a switch box.
    Even though HD and blu-ray are out its going to be time before it settles down as a technology and the industry decides which route to take. Its going to take a year or 2 for that.

12. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Well thank you very much..all! I think there is a clear majority of agreement on comments and feelings about this DVD player...

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    I thought this dvd player would upscale dvds to 1080p? :confused:

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    It has the capability but they've not implemented it. You're stuck with 480i/480p, 576i/576p, 720p and 1080i. Much as I like Denon gear, they've made a boo boo by not giving access to the scaler to create custom resolutions. :thumbsdow

15. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    When I saw the Denon demo on the Sat, they also showed Spidey 2, which looked great, the obvious point of using a 'dated' film like "Apocalypse Now" was that it could show more of an improvement using the chip. But to my eyes and agreeing with everyone else, I did not see enough to see it as a significant improvement to warrant the pricetag.

If you wanted to see the biggest 'wow' of the show then you had to queue up for the What Hi Fi Blu-Ray demo....now that was fantastic.

That was worth the trip on it's own, I am now looking at getting a unit from Japan, I am an impatient bugger!

16. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful, the Japanese units are NOT the same as the forthcoming Blu-Ray players. They will not play these discs when they eventually arrive. The Japanese units would only be of any use to you if you know somebody who can record off Japanese TV for you.

If you're absolutely desperate for HD you'd be better off with D-VHS but by this time next year it's possible HD-DVD, Blu-Ray & Sky HD will all be available.

17. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    ...and additionally I would also wait to see how does HD-DVD compares ...Unfortunately What Hi-Fi was not able to put such a machine next to the Blu-Ray in the demo.

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    And, theres reports that machine region Lockouts will be better enforced this time round., but we will see i guess.

19. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Given the huge number of DVD players sold that are Multi-region (one way or another) surely the manufacturers must realise that there is no point in regional coded media. It's about time that we started getting decent versions of films made available to us without having to buy from a US or Japanese site IMHO. Whinge over :)

20. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Yep, cheers guys, all very good advice :hiya:

Especially the D-VHS, some good films available already, whether they will continue after the Blue-Ray launch is anyones guess.

I have almost made my mind up to pull the trigger on the new SXRD 70" when it is available here in a couple of months. With 1920x1080 running from D-VHS until SkyHD and Blue-Ray get here I will be spending the rest of the year indoors :cool:

21. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the sound of it (I didn't actually see it) they were using a Japanese market Blu-Ray recorder for the demo. This is not representative of the Blu-Ray players/recorders which will be launched next year. This is a simple MPEG2 bitstream recorder (a hard disk or D-VHS deck would have provided similar performance) and has none of the more advanced codecs the final players will have. I would advise treating this as just a HD demo rather than specifically Blu-Ray.

In fact, the final models in theory will have the capability of being even better.

As far as HD-DVD is concerned they have very similar specifications and codecs so in theory both have the capability of looking exactly the same. Differences will mainly come down to disc producer choices on codec, data rate etc. This is particualrly important with HD-DVD as, with a lower capacity, disc producers will need to be more careful to ensure there is adequate space for the main feature where as Blu-Ray has a fair bit more to spare.