Denon DVD-A1 problems playing disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanW, Jan 27, 2003.

1. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Does anyone have the new Thomas Crown Affair (R2) and a DVD-A1? Tried to watch this last night, and the player WILL NOT play beyond the layer transition!!!! Took the disk upstairs to my Toshiba 220E and it works fine.

I am increasingly noticing the amount of glitches that we are seeing with this player, not really acceptable given the price! I have the multi-region pal prog firmware loaded.

Can I please have your feedback on this?

Ian.

2. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mine arrives tomorrow, but I don't have that disc. What other discs have you had problems with?
    I must admit the scores if not hundreds of posts complaining about the 3800 put me off that model and initially Denon, even though everyone seems mainly happy now.
    I do hope a £2.5k player doesn't give me any grief, my £700 Pioneer 717 has never missed a beat in 4 years (apart from Monsters Inc, obviously).

3. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Is no-one else having these problems? if not, sounds like mine needs to go back for fixing!

Ian.

4. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Ian

The DVD-A1 has the same likelihood to 'skip' and freeze and have audio dropouts as the 3800 - they share the same drive, and AFAIK, the same laser pickup, which has been fingered as the culprit in these problems.

Denon USA admitted the issue, though they claim the instances of complaints are far fewer than the 3800. Hayden Labs (DENON UK) deny there's anything wrong with the A1 (they deny most things). It would figure that there are fewer complaints with the A1 (or 'DVD 9000' in the states), as far fewer of them are sold than the 3800.

Myself, I've experienced all types of problems with all types of discs, both R1 & R2.

The only solution, as suggested by Denon, is to have the laser pickup replaced, which would mean sending the unit off to Hayden Labs for repair. Denon USA have a replacement program for those 3800/9000 owners who are experiencing these issues (apparently, there are a lucky few who have perfect machines), but due to a shortage, they don't have the parts yet. Your best bet is to call Denon UK (tel: 01753 888447) and enquire about having the laser pickup replaced on your machine with one of the newer 'fixed' parts.

Out of interest, what build date and firmware does your machine have. You can find out the firmware versions as follows:
    First, make sure there's no disc in the machine, then,
    Using only the unit's front panel buttons (not the remote):

1. Power the unit off.
    2. While pressing together the "Play" and "Open/Close" buttons, press "Power".
    3. In the display you will see the Play and Pause symbols.
    4. Now, using the remote control, press the "Menu" button. With each press of the button, you will scroll thru the different versions of the the unit. First is the "DRV", followed by the "ESS" and finally the "Panel".

For example, pressing DISPLAY on the remote could show :
    ESS 720

pressing MENU on the remote could show :
    ESS 625P
    PANEL 6091
    DRV 6100

When you've finished noting them down, just switch the unit off normally via the remote, and on again.

The production date is simply the first three digits on the serial number at the back of the unit. The first digit is the year, the other two are the month - so if your serial number looks like 205XXXXXXX - this means the unit was made in May 2002 - '2' for 2002, & '05' for May.

Please let me know what you get. This glitching shouldn't be present on newer models.

Cheers

Moory

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Ian,

What problems (other than the one you describe) are you having? I ask because I would like to know what to watch out for.

At this stage I have not used my A1 enough to be aware of any problems but it would appear the skipping/freezing is a common problem in the 3800 and to a lesser extent in the A1 ... as someone else noted this could be because there a fewer A1 owners.

I hope to fully test the unit in the near future ... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've only played a few bits of a few discs, but my DVD-A1 seems great.
    At first I wasn't blown away by the difference with prog scan, but watching some of the fast moving fight scenes in the Superbit version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (PAL) the image was amazingly film-like, no visible motion artifacts.
    Are there any other discs that have caused problems apart from Thomas Crown?
    There is certainly NO chroma bug as the robot in the THX trailer proved.
    I just need to get some good quality component cables now as I am currently using some bastardised RGB Scart into component hybrid.

7. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I also have a DVD A1 arriving tomorrow - supposedly with latest firmware. I've got a copy of R2 Thomas Crown, so I;ll give it a whirl and let you know - suffice to say i'll be cheesed off if it gives me any probs whatsoever!

8. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Very pleased as I am enjoying full hi-res DVD-A playback through the Denon Link SE as promised by Ben at Discount TV and the MR/Pal Prog hack works too!

FYI my firmware info is:

DRV 6100
    ESS P625
    ESS 6235
    PANEL 6234

and the serial number starts 207...

sound quality is stunning with that ultra-crisp top end that makes DVD-A stand out from ordinary CD.

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    lucky buggers...:p wish I could have afforded the A1 instead of the 3800...oh well :rolleyes:

JJ