1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-A1, good news & bad news!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tim Ashdown, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Picked up the new What Video & Tv this morning. Its got the first bit of info on the Denon A1 due out by spring time. Its definately now THX certified with a 12bit 108mhz video dac. First the good news. Its the first player to feature a digital output for DVD-Audio! it says it uses a cat-5 digital connection that Denon call Denon-link, for a compatible Denon amplifier (apparently in production). I've heard of this connection but no nothing about it. Anyone know how it compares with DVI or Firewire. Over on the A1SE forum its been mentioned that this could be part of the upgrade for the A1. Its already confirmed for the Japanese spec version on the website (pictures as well), so hopefully us A1SE owners will be rewarded for our patience. Now the bad news. It doesn't mention SACD despite the rumours. It even mentions that Denon may release a universal player in the future. Why this cannot be included in the flagship is beyond me, especially considering the next piece of bad news. Remember the price of around £2000. Try in excess of £3000! For me, it was always going to be this or the Tosh sd900. I've waited a long time, but this is almost three Tosh 900's, which makes things extremely tough to justify. But I still may go for it. Only now I am definately going to wait for reviews and spend a lot of time auditioning it. One things for certain, whoever owns the A1 amp/dvd combo will have themselves a real kick-ass system!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Tim

Like you i´ve been looking out for this Dvd Player, but three grand!!, bloody hell!!

Two Grand was pushing it, it may be excellent but charging more for it than the flagship amp seems a bit daft.

I may revert to the Toshiba 910 when it appears, i´ll wait & see what transpires in the next couple of months, hopefully Denon will reconsider the pricing!!;)

cheers

3. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Jase, whats the deal with the Tosh 910 as I've heard nothing about it. Theres so many good machines out there now, but few in gold to match the rest of my setup. I know I shouldn't base my buying on that, but it needs consideration. Anyone know if Onkyo's THX flagship is available in gold too.
    Cheers

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The Toshiba 910E is an updated, improved version of the 900E.

Seeing as the 900 is a cracking player, I would think the new version would be a belter, I´ve not got any details on it, just bits i´ve picked up on different forums.

As Toshiba have update all their models recently 210E,510E (this looks pretty good as well, details on their website) the 900 should follow suit, Toshiba dont normally hang around!!

The Onkyo player is another cracker as well but I dont think its available in gold only silver or black.

I was also looking at the Sony 9000 as there is a site flogging them for around 700 quid (not multiregion) its in the special offer section, but in the post about the Marantz cd player!!

cheers

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856