Denon DVD-A1 Firmware is here!! (Denon 3800 to follow)

Site is not working as so many people have tried to download at once:(

Will hold on for the 3800 firmware. Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

How big is the file?

Looks like there is a limit on how much data can be downloaded from the page, and you've exceeded it for today.

Is it small enough to email? I'll PM my email address to you, as I'd like to have a look at it before I chance my 3800..will probably wait until we have confirmation that this is the right disk too.

Perhaps we'll need some mirrors for downloading?

Regards,
Ian Guinan

I'll have a look. Thank you. Not sure if I've got the guts to try it till tomorrow, when hopefully Mr. Merrick should have been able to verify if he has the right disk.

Even if only the A1 version I should be able to pass this on very usefully, so very grateful.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Just had a look (thanks for sending it so promptly) and it unzips to 2 files both of which seem specific to the 9000. I'm not even sure if it covers the A-1 from the names of the files. Looking at the files in Notepad seems to suggest 9000/A1 specific features too (re. the audio decoder).

Hope your dealer has another disk too, as I don't think this one covers the 3800.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

That's brilliant news! :) and a possible chroma-bug fix as well? :eek: ...I'm sure we can expect the same when I get the 3800 firmware. I can now confirm that the DVD-9000 firmware IS NOT 3800 compatible! So running the update on it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard (and could be just as messy).
The dealer has requested a copy of the 3800 firmware be sent direct to my address and it will be delivered in the next two days...Unfortunately I won't be back till Saturday 3am as I'm off to NY on business tommorow morning. I'll be too jet-lagged to post it when I get home so expect it around noonish.

I'm glad to see the DVD-9000 firmware is giving good results (cheers Ian) and I'm sorry to keep raising the hopes of the 3800 owners only to be told there are more delays...If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat too.

I'll keep you informed of any progress while I'm away and I hope to read more success stories.

See you on the weekend...David.

Our Ozzy pals have confirmed that Mr.Merricks firmware enables the A-1 to do PAL progressive too. Keeps getting better...

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Does this mean the 2800 mk2 firmware is on its way aswell?

like days? or weeks?

Be VERY carefull with this upgrade! Denon will NOT honour waranties where mods gone wrong are the cause of fault! Serious quantities of A1's and 3800's being returned through mods downloaded from the net and EVEN COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL DENON DISK! this is why dealers have seemed to dishonour their promises of MR players. Don't get me wrong, you guys know more about this kind of thing than I could ever wish to! I am a complete novice when it comes to the ins and outs, just passing on what I hear!

Sorry Ben,

I think Denon/Hayden are feeding you a line here...

If there WAS a multiregion firmware available for download (for the 3800) anywhere on the net I would have heard and tried it by now. There isn't, I can assure you (believe me I've looked extremely hard).

The only way there is out there at the moment for screwing up your player is to try and upgrade it with a copy of an american firmware update disk. The no. of people willing to try this is minute.

I have only seen two people who have owned up to this, whose machines are now working perfectly with the firmware downloaded from Mr. Merrick (thanks mate).

A similar story emerged for the 2800 ('it disables players features') which was sufficient to put many people off doing the firmware upgrade themselves (me included I might add - I paid my dealer the £30 to put the CD in the tray and initialise the machine..not good value for money!). It also provided a wonderful scapegoat for the problems many users then had with their 2800's.

My personal theory is that Denon are having some problems translating the firmware fix for the chroma bug to PAL machines and this is what has delayed any new firmware (and subsequent hacked firmware).

I think you'll find that the same persn telling you these storys is the same one who offers you a disk 'anonymously' very soon! Ask a few of your customers for A-1s too..they should be able to put you straight.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Like I said! Completely a novice at this multiregion thing (with DENON anyway!) I will be watching the forum very carefully to see what happens! If this really does solve the headaches I have trying to get these machines multi region then I am the first to approve!!

I've seen at least one of your customers (at your excellent A1 price) who has posted elsewhere that they intend using the firmware at the link at the beginning of this thread ;)

Have you multiregion disks for the A1 or 3800 yourself?

The might prefer to pay you for the upgrade instead?

Regards,
Ian Guinan

We don't as a rule charge for MR upgrades unless it costs us! If we had the disk I would have sold a lot more A1's!!!! We should have it very soon though, as far as my customers go (and I know to who you refer!) He knows what he is doing more than me so It may be me asking him for the mod soon!

When you get the upgrade disk tell them you want the original firmware disk also to revert to the fixed region firmware. Then if issues appear for your customers the machines can be returned to their original state without Denon being able to deny responsibility.

The customer you refer to got the firmware from the above source. I think you'll find you are offered the same thing, or even better a newer version which incorporates the chroma bug fix with multi region and PAL prog for both A1 and 3800.

Let us know when you've got them...I'm sure a lot of people are holding back from these machines because of the limited availability of multiregion.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Originally posted by benji_m
We don't as a rule charge for MR upgrades unless it costs us! If we had the disk I would have sold a lot more A1's!!!! We should have it very soon though, as far as my customers go (and I know to who you refer!) He knows what he is doing more than me so It may be me asking him for the mod soon!

Ben,

There is no doubting the fact that you would sell many more if the various issues were resolved (mult-region, chroma bug).

I have an A1 on order with you but someone has advised me to delay purchase as there is an upgrade for the "denon link" on the way ... do you (or anyone else here) know anything about this? ... the person who mentioned this was concerned that the dlink upgrade might overwrite the multi-region fix.

I am meeting someone from Denon tomorrow, so will clarify all issues probably lunchtime!

Best Regards,

Ben

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom