1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD A-11 or Arcam?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonan73, Dec 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I'm ready to change my dvd player and I can get for virtually the same price the Arcam DV-79 or the Denon DVD A11.

I have heard that musically the DV-79 is superior to the 3910... What about the A-11?

Thanks for your opinion!

Johann

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I would tend to avoid the A11 if you are a plasma owner or not planning on getting it SDI modded. it might not be an issue but the A11 was the first and worst to exhibit macroblocking, a video artifact that will effect maybe 20% of discs but it is annoying. Audio wise the A11 is very very good and also plays SACD where as the arcam does not.
    the Arcam does CD and DVD-A very well it also has a solid component and HDMI output. Will also pass HDMI interlaced for use with external scalers/deinterlacers which makes it very appealing.

3910 is almost identical pic wise via HDMI but i personaly prefered the 3910 as it has i-link and SACD which it does well. not quite as good with CD though but then i use a dedicated cd player which will see off most if not all universal decks. It also at present lacks interlaced via HDMI which is a down side.

Try also the pio 868i which is quite good as well. video and audio wise maybe a little behind the arcam but does SACD quite well. has i-link. also passes hdmi interlaced. Many swear by this unit, and if you say one thing against it you normaly get a barrage of insults mostly from USA peeps. with that said i feel its component output was not given the same attention as its HDMI output. so if you use Component perhaps look else where.

3. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what does SDI modded mean?
    Thanks

Johann

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    SDI = Serial Digital Interface.

It is a broadcast standard where basically the video output is taken directly from the MPEG decoder so you are getting exactly what the decoder has taken from the disc. This keeps the signal in the digital domain & typically you would connect the SDI output (if you have added one to your DVD player) from the player to an external deinterlacing/scaling solution, then from that to your display.

The idea is to keep the signal as pure as possible, free from unnecessary colour conversions , digital to analogue & analogue to digital conversions which can only hurt it.

DVD players aren't produced with SDI outputs (they circumvent HDCP) they are an after market modification.

If your player has HDMI output (that allows interlaced output) this will essentially do the same thing but it will have copy protection from HDCP.

I have a modded A11 & I'm very happy with it :D

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the SDI mod means also you bypass the faroudja chip which causes the MB issue. Makes it almost the perfect dvd player

Oh and congrats on the win vanhosen (1 million indeed)

6. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any idea of the cost / shops where this can be done?
    Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Johann

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    It will cost about £375 pound for an SDI mod. then you will need an external scaler that can except an SDI signal. it is costly

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check out the power buy section there are prices there from PJ Hi-fi in Guildford

9. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    wow over £2k for an sdi modded A11. No offence but that is a terrible price, you can buy it new for around a £1000 from some etailers, send it away to be modded for £375 and have change from £1400. I take it thats a list price and not the actual price?

11. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Gandley

thanks for highlighting that - it seems that the price is as you say showing the original RRP. We will get it checked/updated next week.

all the best

12. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Itmeans that if I want a DVD A11 modded, I need to buy the SDI upgrade and a scaler? On the link above, the scaler is roughly £ 2k, right?
    Then it is more likely that i will not go that road. that would make altogether between 3.5 and 4k and I don't think I need that level of perfection. £ 3.5k for a dvd player is a bit harsh ;)

Do all the DVD A11 have this artefact effect? Also on projectors? Any way to reduce them? The 3910 doesn't have this problem, right?

Thanks for your input and advices.

Johann

13. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Johann

There are other options - it depends on whether you want an PC based solution or a standalone DVD player and video processor solution, or even a combination of the two. Our cheapest SDI player is under £400 including VAT, plus we will have the new PlasmaEnhance Pro video processor with SDI in the next couple of months. The total cost of this package will be much less than the A11 and Crystalio. As has often been said, with SDI modified DVD players the main reason for spending more is for better CD playback performance and also build quality. Personally I like the Denon 2900 SDI, as that offers a great balance of price/performance/build.

cheers

14. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Yes All A11`s suffer from MB the 3910 suffers only on a couple of resolutions but via HDMI only 1080i suffers. But it is no where near the same level seen on the A11, infact you would be hard pressed to see it unless someone pointed it out or your looking for it. With 720p out i do not see any MB on my PJ