DENON DVD-5900 & PIONEER DV-59AVi NEW DVD PLAYERS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KBDVD, Sep 21, 2003.

1. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All, :hiya:

It would seem that things will start to get very interesting soon!

I see that both DENON & PIONEER have announced their very latest, "Play All" (DVD VIDEO & AUDIO + SACD) Players, and they are BOTH equipped with Digital Video outputs!

Here are a couple of links to info on Denon's new DVD-5900 which is equipped with a DVI-HDCP Digital Video interface:

db.widescreenreview.com/weeknews/FM...Year=2003&Month=09&Day=11&-recid=40858&-find=

www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/dvd5900.pdf

I believe that the DVD-5900 will be known as the DVD-A11 in the UK, and that initially, the DVI-HDCP connector will be disabled, at least untill it's use can be sanctioned.

Here too is a link to info on Pioneer's new DV-59AVi which is equipped with a HDMI Digital Video & Audio interface:

www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/press/release/detail/0,,2076_4313_11746808,00.html

I believe that the DV-59AVi will be known as the DV-868AVi in the UK, and that it's HDMI connector will function straight out of the box.

I'm sorry if this info is not new. I couldn't find much info on these two models on a search so I thought I'd go ahead and post it as it was certainly news to me. If it prevents someone from going out this week and spending money on players that these models will superceed, then it will have been worth it!

It can only now be a matter of time before the likes of TOSHIBA, PANASONIC & SONY offer "Play All" models with Digital outputs. (Especially SONY as they have just announced their new flagship Integrated Amplifier the STRDA9000ES will feature DVI-HDCP switching amongst it's features!)

It will also be very interesting to see if ARCAM can be coaxed into support of SACD and utilisation of Digital Outputs. I doubt that this will happen just yet though, as it is so soon after the launch of their DVD Audio equipped DV89 and their new FMJ AV8 & P7 Processor/ Power Amplifier combo, but in light of the impending avalanche of "Digital Output/Play All" machines they might yet feel pressurised into joining the party......... DV89+ Anybody?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LET THE GAMES BEGIN! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

2. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer sounds interesting but they talk about it as a "reference model". Which in hi-fi terms usually means it's going to be expensivo. It'll be interesting to see where these companies pitch the DVI players. Following ancient hi-fi wisdom it's a cutting edge feature which'll be bought by "early adaptors" who will pay premium prices. Unfortunately this conventional wisdom has been somewhat challenged by the arrival of players such as the Momitsu and Bravo which have focussed on the image (and little else) at a low end price point. I doubt the big boys thought people would match up a $5K display/PJ with a $150 player but they have....