1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-3910 dvi advice??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mose, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I've just taken delivery of the AVR-3805 and the 3910 and am having problems setting them up.

I am attempting to connect the 3910 to my Sagem Axium via the DVI connection, but to date have been unsuccessful. I also cannot get a signal from the 3910 to the 3805 via the Denon Link cable.

I would be grateful if anyone out there with the same kit can shed some light on what I might be doing wrong. The player works wonderfully via RGB, S-VIDEO and PROGRESSIVE SCAN...so how come it wont work via DVI?

Cheers

Mose :thumbsup:

2. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Mose,

Can't comment on the audio link with your amp - don't know Denon's amps very well....

Re: The DVI video connection - Does your Sagem accept HDCP encrypted signals? The 3910 outputs DVI with HDCP encryption - this could be the problem.

As far as I know, there is no way to switch off HDCP on the Denon 3910.

Hope this is helpful

3. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Have read about this elsewhere, and apparently there may be a firmware upgrade in the not too distant future, but I am only going by what I have read on various forums.

Having said that, I bought my Sagem Axium set from my local COMET store, and the guy there talked me through the way it had been set up in shop. The feed to the set was the DVD of "Cats and Dogs" via the DVI connection, and the picture was out of this world. So, I suppose I am wondering what was different about the set up of the demonstration model?

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    One of the easiest ways to test if HDCP is the problem is to try a CP (Copy Protected) DVD and a non CP DVD. If the CP disc fails to play but the non CP does play, then HDCP is the problem.

It may be that in the demo that Comet was providing, Cats & Dogs is not CP or, the DVD source was not HDCP compliant.

Most DVD's are CP, but Lord of the Rings is not.

-Ian

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I dont think HDCP is software related issue but a hardware issue.

If the hardware is not HDCP compatable, no signal will be sent as the two hardware units do a handshake before allowing the signal to pass the dvd player in effect asks for the HDCP before sending out the signal. If you are not getting a signal make sure your not sending out a scaled signal like 720p or 1080i just incase your tv cant cope with those resolutions. Also make sure the 3910 is outputting DVI and not HDMI. Also make sure your tv can take a progressive signal(sorry i dont know what kind of tv or display you have)

There will be no firmware to change this(unless hacked)

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDCP is only used for CP sources. Non CP sources will play irrespective of whether the DVD player and/or display supports HDCP. So Lord of the Rings (Non CP), will play no matter what.

I had a temporary fault with my HDCP - the display and the source were not correctly handshaking the encryption key - resolved by powering up in the correct order! I could watch LOTR, DVE but nothing that was copy protected.

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    ok good to know

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Make sure you have the Denon Link active in the DVD player setup menu (second tab along). If the option is greyed out make sure you do not have a disc in the player when selecting the option.

9. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thanx all for all your advice. The display I am using is a Sagem Axium, which I have since found out is not HDCP compliant. So a case of tough ****e!

Now......a problem with the 3910! Fresh out of the box, the player worked fine via RGB, Component and S-Video, now a day after using it the player doesnt want to play via Scart, S-Video, Component.....NOTHING. All I get is a full screen of huge pixels, and a soundtrack that skips 3/4 mins ahead of itself at random. Also, the pixelated picture freezes, then moves slightly frame by frame and freezes again. OK, it might be a faulty player. I have got a few different DVD players and these work perfectly through the Axium with any connexion.

I have tried the 3910 on four other tellies around the house and it is exactly the same. BUMMER!! When I hooked this up via component sockets, the screen splt in two and picture was again pixelating.

Anybody got any brainwaves before I phone the dealer and demand a new machine via courier?

Also.....I cannot find any reference in the user manual as to whether or not I can hook up SCART and COMPONENT at the same time....and also 6 channel surround for SACD??

Your advice will be much appreciated guys, home cinema has moved on a long way since I first bought my Yamaha DSP 590 :laugh:

Cheers

MOSE

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    send it straight back....knackerd laser transport for sure
    (a brand new pio 868i i bought did the same thing)

11. rooster124

rooster124

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a follow on to this I have a problem getting the DVI connection to work for a Sagem Axium LCD TV (27in). This is HDCP compatable and the reviews I have seen specifically refer to using it from the DVI socket. My player is a Denon 3910.

I have selected DVI on the player remote but when I press the DVI/VGA button on the TV remote I get nothing but a message saying no VGA signal.

Its very frustrating because I bought the TV largely on the strength of being able to do this.

Any help is much appreciated.