Denon DVD-3800 Problems...

Jasonjo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at the AVS forum (www.avsforum.com) there seem to be a few issues with the Denon DVD-3800.

These relate to excessive heat and skipping/stuttering/lockups with some discs.

Is this just a US problem, or are people with 3800's in the UK having the same problems??

JJ

Ive been reading this also , my 3800 with pal prog and multi region is supposed to be ready for collection tommorow or wednesday , so will let you know when i get it.

I have not used mine much yet, got it last week.
But when i saw Panic Room region 1 i progressive scan with my Panasonic AE100 a saw some sloping lines moving over the oicture some times.
And when i watched the beginning of Saving private Ryan, there was some times the bright light from the sea "moved up" the picture over parts i shouldn't be.
No lockups and heat problems though.

got mine on saturday terminator 2 skipped twice barely 1/2 second in total .

Training day ( awesome film watch it) jumped at around 57 minutes real bad and even froze , tried playing it on the dmr e 30 on the same bit but it just paused for 1/4 second like a layer scan but then moved on , back to 3800 and froze again then skipped sevral seconds the froze .. Could be faulty disc but not good will try con air tonight , and report back , have advised dealer of problem , these were brand new out of the box never payed discs so should not be a problem to read, will report back tomorrow.

If it aint right it will have to go back .Please note this is the best picture i have ever seen on a tv /plasma it would be a travesty for this not to work right.

The US guys seem to be pointing towards heat issues and possibly the Feb02 build models...

Does your player get incredibly hot?

What build date is it?

Thanks

JJ

not sure of build date will check tonight but, it was only shipped into my dealer from hayden 23/09 and it runs cool as cucumber

Also ran it with con air as promised played perfectly not a glitch in sight and looked awsome (not a word i use unless i mean it)

I recieved my 3800 from Germany/Switzerland last week. It's
May build date, with a serial number less than 600.
No lockups so far, but I haven't used it so much.
One problem though, is that the discs (dvd/cd) gets
very hot.

/Per S
-----------
Display=ESS 408
Menu= DRV 6100, ESS 6094, PANEL 6093

One would think that companies like Denon would not allow a model out with problems! so it seems they DON'T learn lessons from their previous models like the 2800 as if the people who were responsible for the 2800 had no input at all on the 3800 if someone can explain this to me I'm all ears! yet their amps dont seem to have problems maybe its because the dvd players are manufactured in China?
cheers laurie

I own a 3800and for its alleged faults itsthe best picture i have ever seen and so says everyone whowalks through the door.

As for denon letting something out with bugs ???

well at least they spend time correcting them unlike other manufacturers and they are not alone stand up Microsoft the bigest culprit.

I am still waiting for fixes tomy machine in terms of pal prog and region 1 buti will wait content in the fact that i have possbly the 2nd best machine i could buy and the best under a grand confirmed by even the pioneer fans that have done a side by side with the 747a they know and love.

as per your other post...is your dealer claiming that there are some versions of the firmware which actually cause stuttering/lockups etc...

Does this explain why some US and UK chaps are experiencing these issues - i.e. they have firmware which has enabled MR but also inadvertantly introduced firmware bugs which cause lockups??

JJ

I have a black 3800 waiting for me at my dealer.
He originally had a MR disc but when he ran it, it caused the whole machine to shut down with the disc in it!
He couldn't get the disc out, or the player to power on.

I had another one ordered for me which arrived a few days ago, but after my dealer chased up a replacement MR disc, they were told today that the current batch of MR discs for the 3800 have been causing various problems and will be replaced in the next few weeks.

So I am back to waiting to pick mine up!
I can have it just region 2 for now and take it back in when the disc comes in, but I am loathed to set it all up and then take it back in again, especially as my DVD collection is 75% Region 1 discs.

Waiting waiting waiting....:( :mad: :( ;) :D

Yes Jason .If yoo look at the amount of dealers out there who are advertising multiregion rce compliant 3800 players when no offcially (now sanctioned) disc has been released it seems pretty suspicious.

The dealer i use is sound and vision in farnworth who actually sell more denon in the uk than most other dealers and if they can not get a disc out of denon then nobody can !!!! . I was speaking to Simon the co owner this morning and (I trust this guy implicitly) and he earlier in the day had a discussion with denon based upon some news i had picked up on the us threads about 2800mk2 and 3800 having diffrent firmaware requirements and he was told that if any of the other dealers are doing upgrades with discs they are pirated discs from an earlier release which did not work and the originals withdrawn because it did not work. stuttering freezeing up (sound familiar) It is also common knowledge that many units were returned to denon because of lockups (again check out us sites) and non of them were covered within the warranty because of unauthorised firmware upgrades.

similary u cannot use the chroma ntsc fix on pal progressive machines without the same bugs being apparent. The good news is that Simon has been assured that before the busy season starts (xmas purchases) a fix will be in place fopr the 2800 and 3800 becuase as simon says (no pun there) This class of machine is aimed at people like us (enthusiasts) and they are not casual dvd buyers and they want region 1 material.

I will now wait till somon tells me he had the pukka disc same in the knowledge its imminent and I will get it within a week of its release and my machine will pay region 2 in the interim and look as stunning as It does.

It was not suggested that this was the best dvd player in the world by the mags only 2 months ago for nothing (until the release of the a1 usa 9000 model)

Brilliant mark - thanks for clarifying things and taking the time to explain...

It certainly does explain many of the current 3800 issues if they have been upgraded using dodgy MR firmware...

Can you please post when you are informed that the offical denon MR firmware is released...

Thanks again for the info...:)

JJ

So is this new autralian firmware released by Ian more stable than the other old unoffical versions which could have been (allegedly) causing the lockups??

Will the firmware work on newer 'Q' models ok???

JJ

no jason its the same one with the problem wrotye originally in germaNY Ian is just brave loading it. 2 4 weeks im told for the new disc.

I'm off for a demo on Saturday of a 3800.

I'll be taking along discs that supposedly highlight the chroma bug.

Is there any disks that reproduce the stuttering that I can take with me?

The new discs are slowly coming through the chain at last! I now have the disc for the A1 which was a complete success and I should have the 3800 shortly (within days) - so your local dealers should have the new discs sooner rather than later, this has been an experience I will never forget, and hope no other manufacturer makes the same mistakes again! For machines like these Denon should have sorted a working mod out pre release! I can only imagine how many customers thay have lost!

Originally posted by benji_m
The new discs are slowly coming through the chain at last! I now have the disc for the A1 which was a complete success and I should have the 3800 shortly (within days)

Ben,
Please will you post the Firmware Version numbers on the thread " It Works !! Multi-Region Denon 3800 Firmware " by Ian Guinan when you receive your 3800 disc.
It is interesting to see if there is a difference between the " Australian " and the " New Denon " versions.

Hi Ben

Would you also mind posting the firmware numbers for the A1 software you have.

This would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tom.

Ben

Just to confirm for all...

Are these the official Denon firmware discs used to cure the lockups and possible heat issues?

Do they add MR and PAL-P functionality?

Will they fix the chroma bug problems?

Thanks

JJ

Hi ,
As soon as I have my hands on them (and tested them!!!!) I will post full details!

Ben

Have you been given a date yet by the rep as to when you will get the 3800 ?

I am realy tempted to use the firmware that the guys are using on the other thread ,In your opinion is it worth waiting for the official product or do u think us 3800 owners should wait for the offcial non official disc.

waiting with bated breath

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom