1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-3800 MIA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ian_guinan, Feb 26, 2003.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thought I'd send my 3800 back to Germany as was a low serial no. and had the pausing problem on certain disks.

Quickest way to send it was to use local Post Office and Parcel Force Worldwide..not cheap at £40 but at least had insurance up to £500 (had quotes of £90+ without insurance elsewhere). Suffice it to say [GRR You can't say this kind of thing on these forums READ THE FORUM RULES. Admin] have 'lost' my player somewhere between here and Germany.

Just in case the serial no. is;

[More libellous remarks deleted. Warning - don't do this again. Admin]

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to hear that Ian.:(
    Do you only get 500£ for it then?
    What will you do now, get another player, other model, other brand?

Regards Hans

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    really bad luck ian...hope it gets found soon...

Good old british postal service...NOT!!!!

JJ

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Why is it that only after you've been burnt that you type in the name of the service/product into a search engine and discover how grim their reputation is???

[Rule breaking comment removed by Admin]

Depending on whether they either cough up soon or 'find' (fat chance methinks) my player I've yet to decide what I'll do. The DVD-3800 despite its quirks has still been the best DVD player I've owned so far.

Currently using a HTPC (which is stunning but fiddly plus no DVD-A) with my Toshiba MT-8. The scaling in this projector is so good that I found the picture to be better with interlaced so I may well just go for a better quality interlaced player. The Arcam DV-88+ with DVD-A might be worth checking out. Has anyone seen a Denon DVD-1600 to try?

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Moved back after libellous comments removed.

6. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that sucks so badly man :(

The arcam dv88+ is a great player though and maybe it's just fate telling you to switch your alliance to arcam :)

CaM

7. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry to have overstepped the mark..I guess you'd feel the same if it had happened to you. Parcel Force probably have better lawyers than some other sections of society so I wouldn't wish to put you in the firing line.

Thank you for reinstating the thread after your edits as although a long shot, if this has gone astray as a result of criminal activity it might genuinely appear for sale elsewhere, and I'd be grateful for anyone spotting a black one for sale to let me know.

re. the offensive word..I apologise without reservation...I'd never even realised that we HAD a filter for expletives till I got a PM from someone in **********! :D

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

[edited for gratuitous use of the name 'Scunthorpe']

8. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Against all odds (and twenty two days later than it should have) my player has arrived in Germany.

I therefore withdraw also my suggestion that Parcel Force or any of their employees (libellous suggestion removed by poster) or my insinuation that Parcel Force were (offensive comment removed by poster)...

Now all I need is for Denon to do their best and lose it on the way back :suicide:

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    or even worse, get it back and have a nice tech label on it saying....."inspected, no fault found..." like perka :mad: :mad: :mad:

...even though we think they chaged the laser anyhow...:confused:

JJ

10. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm following this thread with big interest :rolleyes:

Per

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    strangely enough :devil: :smoke:

12. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I will let you know the firmware numbers and any change in performance when I get it back. I had one difference with my 3800 in that as well as very rare freezes with some disks and running hot occasionally it would just fail to read a disk at all..spinning at various speeds until it failed completely. If put in when the machine was cold they had more chance of being read..plus once the disk directory was read it would then play as per normal?

I've been able to send a couple of disks which did that. If it comes back with 'no fault' and the disks still refuse to play then it is going back for another journey..

Have you noticed Perka any change in the performance of your player since it came back from Germany?

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

13. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After about 8 dvd, no 1 to 5 second long non-repeatable pausings.:rolleyes: :zonked:
    But statistically that also happened once before the "repair story".

I only had short 0.5 -1 second repeatable pausings on two dvd that could be layerchanges. This kind of reapeatble pausings never happened before the "repair story":confused:

I think I need another 10 films to be certain if they changed the laser pickup or not :suicide: Im living under a complete uncertainty, and hence I have no more confidence in the Denon people.

But in the end I must admit that the PQ is faboulous!!:D
    If I have had a good relationship with a dealer, that I know would change it for another unit/brand in case of problems, I would highly recommend this player. But without this service it's too risky.