1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-3800 December Firmware

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jasonjo, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Chaps,

Sorry for starting a new thread and getting your hopes up, but I just wanted to get everyones viewpoint on the current firmware situation.

See the following thread for the old story:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58211

Everyone seems to be waiting for the elusive December firmware for the 3800, that has been talked about for quite a while now.

I have been talking to quite a few people who have contacted their dealers to obtain the "latest" firmware that has recently been sent by Denon, but this only appears to be the same firmware as the old July release. Quite a few members defintely have the latest disks, but all still have the July file versions and dont seem to update the firmware version numbers when applied????

So, does the new so called Dec firmware actually exisit? or are Denon now just re-releasing the July firmware in an approved manner now that they are happy it is OK to use?

Your comments? :confused:

JJ

2. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You know, JJ,

I'm SO confused! I still have the following firmware on my machine:

DRV 6100
    ESS 33625P
    Panel 6091-2

I don't know if this is old, new, different..whatever! If anybody knows FOR SURE that this is old, and they have a link to the new firmware, please let me know.

We all know about MR, Chroma-Bug, Pal Prog, but is there any firmware that has FBI Skip/Macro disable/User Prohibtion disable? THESE are the features that I've haven't seen much mention of.

I propose that, if and when there's an answer to the ongoing firmware question for the A1/3800/2800 MKII, a sticky is placed, so that everybody is in the know from the get-go.

Cheers

Moory

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Latest firmware (assuming July IS still the latest) is on my site. Firmware numbers which I think are correct are there too...

www.geocities.com/denon3800

JJ

4. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But Please,

Tell me, is the firmware good for the A1 as well? I need to know for SURE before I install any more firmware (it's not my machine!). If you have confirmed it is, and that it makes a difference, I'd be so grateful if you'd let me know.

BTW, Merry Chrimbo!

Moory

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    any more comments on the dec firmware?

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the December firmware.

It struggled with disk 2 of FOTR, but seems OK eventually - lots of disk rattling before the continue menu comes up.

It also refused to play region 2 of Good Morning Vietnam - had to use my old player.

Went through about two thirds of my disks after that - got bored at 226 discs :)eek: ) - these are the only two is has struggled with

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    What version numbers do you have graham?

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ones listed on the unofficial site ess720N et al

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Graham - I guess you (like most others) have the December Denon official re-release of the unofficial previous July release then!!! ;)

I am pretty much 100% sure that the Dec firmware isn't new at all and is merely an officially sanctioned release of the July firmware now that PAL-P is allowed (and released by Arcam). Therefore, I think they have just re-issued the old July firmware 'officically' and branded it "December Firmware"

This seems to be pretty plausible and is backed up by everyone that has used the Dec firmware version not having any new firmware numbers and the D38XX files have the same dates/sizes and are byte for byte the same for both July and Dec releases.

Maybe Denon also realised that the chroma bug and freezing/skipping fixes needed to be fixed in hardware (with new ESS chipset and laser pickup, respectively) and NOT in firmware, so didnt bother updating the firmware from the July version.

All IMHO, of course...

JJ

11. nicksair

nicksair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JJ,

When's this new version of the player available?

Reason being that I ordered one before Christmas and am promised early in the new year.

Will this be the latest machine???

Nick

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It seems that most players purchased from late Oct/Nov time seem to have the updates if the rumours are true.

It is difficult to say 100% as Denon will not confirm anything and a lot of info comes from the US/other european areas which although a good indicatior doesn't always mean it covers the UK machines...

JJ