Denon DVD-3800 and DVD-2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gandalf823, May 17, 2003.

1. Gandalf823

Gandalf823

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody tried the 3800 or 2900 with DVD-R discs? I'm having skipping troubles with Verbatim 2.0 spec DVD-R's on my 3800 and it seems a test sample of the 2900 does exactly the same....every other player does the job perfectly though.

The strange things are:

1. When the player skips, at always starts playing again after 1/1.5 seconds, but the time indicator skips more than 5 seconds back (which I think is because something in the decoder isn't right)
    2. Denon tech support says the quality of the disc is not good or the recording should be done at 1x. I'm having a hard time believing this:
    A. All other players play these discs 100% correct, no artifacts on possible jitter areas due to bad recording.
    B. When you repeat the same disc area, there is no skip at all.
    C. Verbatim is not a low quality brand.
    D. My DVD 1500 and DVD 2800 did almost the same amount of skipping on DVD-R discs and they weren't even certified to play these discs.
    E. Denon advised to try several players in the store to see which play them correctly. So if 1 out of 5 players does the job, then Denon has a major design issue.
    F. My player skips on retail discs as well, and yes it has been fitted with a new laser.
    G. The player gets REALLY hot.

Could anyone share his experience so I have more ammunition to contact Denon Tech support?

Thanks in advance and regard,
    Gandalf

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Gandalf

I have a late build 3800 & have no such problems.

I use both Apple & TDK DVD-R , TDK DVD+R & Sony DVD+RW all without problem.

3. Gandalf823

Gandalf823

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing your experience, this was exactly what I was looking for.