Denon DVD - 2910 with SACD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bonzodogdick, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD 2910 into Yamaha DSP-E800 and Arcam Alpha 8R &8P

After many months of enjoying superb quality DVD films and DVD Audio in stunning DTS & Dolby Digital, I bought my fist SACD over the weekend. Dark Side Of The Moon. (Been meaning to get it for ages)

Im gutted :(

It seems the DVD 2910 can only play the signals in analogue (And not through my Digital Coaxial cable) and therefore in Pro Logic only.

Why??

The quality isnt half as clear and crisp (and spatial) as when a Dolby Digital signal is read like my copy of Pet Sounds - Beach Boys on DVD-A .

Does this mean that SACD is inferior to DVD-A as a format, or am I missing the point?

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You have to play SACD via the 5.1 outs to get proper multichannel sound. And DVD Audio is best listened to the same way too. The DTS/DD tracks are a compromise to allow playback on ordinary DVD players.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    It's not the fault of the 2910 as SACD cannot be passed via an optical or digital coaxial cable. You'll have to use the 5.1 analogue outputs, as Cable Monkey has suggested, to hear it in it's full glory. The only way to get SACD digitally would be via Denon Link 3 or Firewire (assuming both player and amp have these connections).

4. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah, thank you CM.

I must admit I didnt know that.
    In fact, I just checked at the back of my 2910, and I havent got any 5.1 out in place. The only conx's Im using are the HDMI direct to the plasma, and a digital coaxial into the the Yam DSP.

So, I take it I need to purchase some analogue cables to solve the problem. What do I need?? (I thought the digital coax would do the lot :confused: )

Looks like Mark Grant will be getting a pm.

Thanks again.

5. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Run cables from the 2910 to the amp as follows [1] L&R for Stereo [2] 5.1 [3] Coax or Optical - then on the amp you can choose what format you want to use - L&R for true Stereo to the fronts only, 5.1 from the Ext.In for DVD-A/SACD to all the speakers, Coax/Optical for DVD DD/DTS to all the speakers

6. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help & advice guys.

Once again the magnificent AV Forum is on hand to aid the intellectually challenged.

Cheers

Bonz :clap: