DENON DVD-2900 disc tray problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mcundik, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mcundik

mcundik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Denon DVD-2900 for a very low price on ebay. The A/V playback is fantastic, but I have a problem with the tray not opening when you hit the open button. It appears to try to open then gets stuck, so I have to hit close then open and repeat the process a couple of times. You can hear a "ka-thunk" sound when it is opening. One curious thing is that it usually only does this the first time I try to open it when the player is cold (after sitting for 24 hrs unused). Then it seems better. Is this something that is easy to fix, or are the repairs not worth the money when they are selling so cheap on ebay?

Thanks,
    -Mark

2. SUPER64

SUPER64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM, HAVE YOU SOLVED IT YET:confused:

3. mcundik

mcundik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - well, yes and no. My problem was two fold - 1) the tray problem and 2) it occasionally wouldn't recognize CDs. DVD's were never a problem. I took it to a local "Denon Authorized" service center and they replaced the tray mechanism for about $70. It has worked great ever since (knock on wood) but last night I had an issue with it still not recognizing CDs. I happen to notice that the player was fairly warm, so I think I can narrow the problem down to the CD laser starts acting funny when then player gets really warm. The reason I have this theory is that a) there is a separate laser for the DVDs and they never give me a problem and b) when I let the unit cool down it recognized the same CD if failed on a few hours before hand.

So, I'm going to call the service center and see how much it is going to cost to have the CD laser replaced.

I purchased this player off ebay for about $200, so even with the $70 in repairs I still think I got a good deal. But, if the laser is going to cost me a fortune I think I might put it back on ebay and consider buying something else.