1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-2800 MK2 my take (long)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vc820, Jun 15, 2003.

1. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just replaced my Toshiba SD-510E with a new Denon DVD-2800 MK2. Like many others who visit these threads, I had heard of the various problems people had encountered with this machine but I had also read the many glowing reports from various Hi-Fi and home cinema publications. After much deliberation, I more or less decided to hold on for the new DVD-2900 but the ever falling price of the 2800 was too much of a temptation. I also thought that as my model would be a later issue machine that most of the major problems would have been corrected and the latest firmware loaded. Anyway my new Denon arrived on Tuesday and I've been putting it through its paces for the last few days. So here's my take on the machine.

First off, after taking it out of the packaging and placing it on top of my Hi-Fi stand, I am really surprised by its large physical size and superb build quality. I switch it on for the first time and hope that it's survived the journey from my dealers intact. Phew! it powers up ok.

I begin by running through a few of my favourite discs. Wow, the picture quality and sound are superb and that's straight out of the box.

Disc after disc follows and by now I'm smilling to myself and thinking what a bargain I've got. This machine is great! and then it happens.

I start playing the Final Fantasy Movie and a few minutes into it the picture along the bottom third of the screen starts to tear and pixilate. I can't believe it. I try disc after disc and low and behold I begin to find this problem happening on more and more discs. I try going into the setup menu and tweaking the settings but although some settings improve the problem it doesn't cure it.

On Saving Private Ryan just after the Americans have taken the beach you can see fires burning in the background from all the carnage beforehand. These fires start to smear all over the screen. I have to watch the scene several times before I can beleive what is happening. What an utter pile of ****e this machine is!!

I phoned my dealer who agrees to take it back. The dilemma I have now is whether to try a brand new sample and hope that this one is alright or to stump up the extra cash and go for a new 2900.

What I would like to hear from is anybody who has a 2800 MK2 that hasn't had any problems with it. We've all heard the horror stories but is there anybody out there whose had a good experiance with this machine.

Also the views from anybody with a new 2900 would be most welcome.

My system

Denon DVD-2800 MK2 Multiregion, running interlaced component.
    Denon 3802 AV Receiver
    Denon DCD1550R CD
    Denon DRM-555 Cassette
    Mission M74i Fronts
    Mission M7C2 Centre
    Mission M70AS Sub
    Mission M7DS x 4 Satellite
    Kimber cables and Russ Andrews accessories

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I know this doesn't really help / answer your question ... but I'd buy a Pioneer 757ai instead of the Denon ... it may be smaller ... but in my mind there's no issue over it's build quality ... and (as far as I'm aware) there are no reported problems with discs not being played correctly.

The only negative about the Pioneer is that it now doesn't look like there is going to be any upgrade to make it PAL progressive compatible as was rumoured in the beginning (Techtronics do a PAL Prog mod - but it's about £200 more than normal mod version). Oh and it's only avaliable in black or silver which won't match a gold Denon.

Yes I am biased as I own the Pioneer - and I've not seen either the Denon DVD-2800MkII (reports of problems put me off it) or the new DVD-2900 (wasn't out when I bought the Pioneer) - I did compare it to the Arcam DV88 I had before - but I can't fault it used on my 32" CRT. Also not found a single 5" optical A/V digital disc it won't play. We got ours from www.leconcepts.com and can't fault their service either.

Vikki

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a LD? :p

Second Pioneer DVD players, probably the best around, for the money, picture quality & compatibility.

Noticed you've got all Denon gear. You don't have to get everything the same, you know.

Buy good products from whatever brand, mix 'n' match to get the most reliable/best performing products from each manu.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Original post edited to add the clarity required by Natha :p

5. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys.

I think I'll try one more replacemnt 2800 and if I have any problems then I'll get a refund and start exploring other makes apart from Denon. My dealer assures me that they've sold quite a few later edition 2800's and haven't had any problems apart from mine.

Incidentaly now that the 2800 has been packed away ready for return and I've sold my Toshiba SD-510E, I'm now using my Xbox for DVD playback until I get my problems sorted out. I have too say that the playback quality of the Xbox is really excellent. I thought I'd be taking a real step backwards by using it but the drop off in quality is hardly noticable.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :rotfl:

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    most of us (including gringotts and myself) all had similar experiences with dealers... sold lots but never any problems...

all lies, Denon dont tell dealers of problems like this.. bad for sales.

I dont think its worth trying another 2800 mkII since its an inherent fault... plus if you do have any faults then there will never be a firmware fix for it.

as an "old" model now, Denon are quite happy to forget about you.

switch for something else... I'd be very wary of the 2900 for at least the next 2-3 months until others have tested it and possibly got their hands burned as per Denon's 2800, 2800mkII, 3800 track record. (see the avsforum 2900 pages already).

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't edit your post to remove a comment that!:rotfl:

I would not consider another Denon DVD player vc820, don't have brand loyality. If something is poor quality, look around for something else.

9. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Got my MkII (multiregion modified) 3 months ago and have to say I have never had a single problem with it.

I use my trusty old Philips 28 Widescreen CRT and have never a single vision problem. Saving up for a plasma :)
    No lip-sync problems either. Maybe you just got a bad un.

Not heard anything wrong with the 2900 yet.
    Still time though :D

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sleepy, you'd only expect to see lipsync problems in progressive scan, so I'd not expect you to have any problems with the trusty CRT...

similarly you're probably using rgb scart at the moment and not the component out so not really a valid comparison.

as for the 2900, see the other thread and the ones on avs, there are problems.

11. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Jeez, how many times will people assume this is an error of the player and/or disc mastering. The smearing effect of the flames was intentional, was in the cinema release, and was intended to simulate camera damage as so often happened to the WW2 reporters' cameras.

A quick search for 'saving private ryan flames' even turns up results in this very forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16190&highlight=saving+private+ryan+flames

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    ... just ignore me ...

13. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    absolutely... yes... (had a pioneer 717 many moons ago).

but we are talking about the Denon 2800 & II which have a history with pal ps lipsync problems.

14. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sleepyone, it's nice to hear of somebody with a trouble free 2800 MK2. I've got my replacement coming sometime next week, so I'll report back my findings. I'm using mine with a 28" Toshiba widescreen TV with component inputs, although I'm running in interlaced as it won't accept a progressive signal. I'm not too bothered about lip sync problems when running progressive scan as it will be a few years before I'm able to get a plasma or projector as I've only had my Toshiba about a year.

Thanks CarlB, for pointing out about the Saving Private Ryan disc. I guess that when you've had problems like I've had, you just assume any problems or niggles you come across are also caused by the player. I took the opportunity to test the disc on my Xbox and as you pointed out the smearing effect was there too.

15. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pile of crap,smearing at bottom of picture,freezing and sound problems if using rgb scart and componant at the same time.would never buy a denon again.

16. vc820

vc820

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My replacement 2800 mk2 arrived a few days ago. Now that I've had a little bit of time to play around with it. Here's what I've found. Firstly it has the same problem that I sent the other machine back for in the first place. i.e. the picture breaks up and stutters along the bottom third of the screen on certain films. The discs this happens on are all Region 2 Columbia Tristar titles recorded in the 16:9 ratio. Other Columbia Tristar titles recorded in the 2:35.1 ratio play fine and don't cause any problems. I have found that I can improve matters by going into the video setup menu and making sure that the video mode option is set to 'video' and not 'film' or 'auto'. Now when I play the discs the picture doesn't break up or stutter unless you call up the onscreen menu or start skipping through chapters. If you do this then it's back to normal i.e. breaking up and stuttering. I've tried about 80 other films in the player and the only other one I've had any problems with is Region 2 Saving Private Ryan which once again exhibits occasional picture breakup. Apart from this I've experianced no lockups, freezes, pauses, sound drop outs e.t.c. In fact if it wasn't for the Columbia Tristar titles I would be delighted with the machines performance. The only thing I can link this problem too is the firmware. My machine has.

DRV 6200-2
    ESS 9104-3

I am going to contact Denon on Monday and see what they have to say about the situation but I'm not holding my breath as I've read about Hayden Laboratories poor customer service relations on many threads here. Does anybody know if there is a firmware update available that is newer than the version I have or whether there is one planned for the near future.

17. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I've had a 2800MK2 since start of year. Some initial problems with old firmware, but since I had it updated to process pal progressive about 4-5 months ago it has performed perfectly, and I am very happy with it. I have posted this previously.

Harry

18. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just return to the dealers & get your money back.

Stay well clear...

Adzman