Denon DVD-2500BT Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ian_S, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Hi all,

Denon USA have placed the user guide for the transport only 2500 on their website.

I've updated the AVForums Profile Player 1.1 comparison thread with the details. The links are in the Denon notes section.

Merged in original starting post. ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    As suggested

The multi region firmware for this player is now been tested and is ready for release. It just needs to be signed off and should be available to dealers by Tuesday or Wednesday.

It will be a firmware that "sits" on top of the current firmware.

What that means is that if you need to do an O/S firmware upgrade you will need to re apply the MR to sit on top of that new firmware again.

That will not be a problem as we will be supplying a disk with any MR requested machines.

Keep an eye here for the release and those of you that have a player already will probably need to contact your dealer if you wish to obtain the firmware.

3. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hello ******** thanks for the info :thumbsup: 2nd post to :)

going to have a good go tonight with the demo model of the denon 2500 as its going back to the shop tommorow

******** would this make the player multi region for dvds and blu-ray or just dvds

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Just DVD

5. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hi all

Wll my final thoughts on the Denon 2500BT its crap and the picture is worse than my asda £10 dvd player :rotfl: just joking.

Well i have had a good 2 hours with testing the denon 2500 and the PS3 and first up was

i robot, The part where will smith is in bed and gets up for a shower :eek:.

Denon 2500BT
    I first checked this part of the movie on the denon and the picture was off the map i mean the crispness and detail was so good there where parts in the film that just looked like you could pick somthing out of the screen.

PS3
    Then i checked the same part on the ps3 and it just looked flat i mean the detail was there but it just did not have the pop factor at all it looked like a matt painting as the denon looked like a silk painting if you know what i mean.

Matrix 3, The part where there in the dance club lots of dark and colour shots here.

Denon 2500BT
    The denon brought out alot of detail in the blacks and seemed to seperate the dark blacks that the people where wearing from the dark black bakground this made the people just pop out of the screen on the dance floor very good indeed.

PS3
    Again very good detail but again it just looked flat and there was some noise in the backgound and i noticed a littile bit of judder but none on the denon.

Now i own a pioneer LX50 for SD DVD playback so i compaired this to the denon not the ps3 as i dont rate it.

Starwars revenge of the sith, the start of the film space battle

Denon 2500BT
    bloody hell it loooked like a blu-ray it was very sharp and the detail was exellent it was so smooth and film like and had such pop nearly started to watch the film instead of testing it :rotfl:

LX50
    well again it looked flat and like a dvd to be honest it looked a little bit rough and did not have that pop, I did not like watching it on the LX50 since i watched about 30min on the denon to be honest wanted to put it back into the denon.

Lord OF the Rings The Bridge of Khazad-dûm (********:smashin:)

Denon 2500BT
    oh my god the denon produced such a sharp picture and the detail in the blacks was amazing there seemd to be more in the picture than the LX50 you could seperate the background from the actors with no problems at all it was very sharp.

LX50
    looked good but some background detail was lost as it did not bring it out and it looked a littile soft compaired to the denon mmmm dont like my lx50 now.

I was suprised that the denon did a far far better job at my SD DVD as the denon 2500BT does not seem to get a good feedback on SD DVD playback but i must say it blew my LX50 out the water and remember the LX50 was £500 just over a year ago and the denon is £600 and it just in another league totaly suprised at this test.

Now for the sound i could not try this as i dont have a hdmi amp yet but which will be sorted in 2 to 3 weeks i hope but what i could hear from my tv that the denon was fuller and more defined but i could not do a good test on that one.

For speed the denon is slower than the ps3 in some cases but it all depends on the blu-ray disk some are the same speed some are slower i think even one film transformers was faster at loading on the denon but for the picture quality who cares make a cupper when its loading.

one more thing the denon had realy good smooth paning it was silk and kept alot of the detail when paning.

am i going to buy one now after a proper test to bloody right i am just a shame i could not test a 3800 but i can not streth to that but that must be off the map

hope this has helped ask any questions if you want

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I too have been impressed with sd DVD playback on the 2500BT. I find the Denon's upscaling (1080p50) superior compared with 576i direct to the KRP.

But when the Denon outputs 576i to the C2, sd DVD playback is taken to another level :thumbsup:

7. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I've been using the 2500 at 576i to feed my Dvdo edge and have found that the 2500 @ 576i sd gives me noticably better results than the Oppo 980H I was using.

8. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    I'm still skeptical. ******** I'm going to come visit soon, and I want to be convinced!

Do the Denons have a setting that will allow native resolution to always be passed thru? e.g. send 480i, 576i, and 1080p without having to manually change the Denon output resolution?

9. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    can you get all the audio formats from the denon forgot to check do you have to bitstream the aduio and do you have to turn anything on the denon to get all the HD audios to work ?

10. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    no

you can send blu-ray/dvd as 1080p or send blu-ray/dvd as 576i i dont know why denon would send blu-rays as 576i very strange tought if you picked 567i for dvds it would go to 080p when inserting a blu-ray but it does not just keeps it all to 576i but to be honest i loved the sd dvd upscaled picture the denon was doing anyway so its ok for me to send 1080p sd dvd

11. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Hi eiren. :)
    you can manually select 576i but no Source Direct option as such.
    All the best.

12. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Hi Meridius. :)
    Bitstreams TrueHD/DTS-MA yes :smashin: settings should be fine,easily tell though as the audio track shows on the amp.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  13. welshy

welshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I would appreciate anyones views on how the 2500BT compares to the Denon 3930 for SD-DVD playback?

I currently own the 3930 and I have a vast DVD collection. I would like to buy the 2500BT but I would have to sell my 3930 first. Don't want to do this just yet if the 2500BT is not as good (for SD-DVD).

14. IanSeward

IanSeward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think there are a lot of 3930 owners who would like the answer to SD DVD performance of the 2500 and 3930 comparison.:)

15. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    That sucks. I thought this would do it as it's a transport. Looks like that's ruled it out for me.

16. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    This is crazy, why on earth can't Denon make this kind of functionality available through a firmware update? It's hardly as though the player would be doing anything it doesn't already do, just remember what it's been set to do depending on the media it's fed. This is beyond basic. What the hell are they playing at?

17. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    The Pioneers have Source Direct option. :)

18. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    I need to go down to TLC then to see the new ones. I've had an LX70a on my set-up, compared to my PS3, and didn't see any difference apart from some additional post-processing sharpness being applied.

Thanks for the info on the Denon!

19. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Steve, will be interested in this when it comes through - look forward to hearing the details in due course.

Cheers,

Al

20. Dullie

Dullie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Quick question...

Does the region free update concerns DVD's or Blu Rays.. or is it both?

21. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    DVD only.

22. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    anyone tried a region free NTSC dvd on the denon 2500bt do they play as well as the pal dvds ?

23. DELUCAS

DELUCAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +951
    How does the denon 2500bt compare with sd dvd playback to the X-E1 pic wise !!

any one compared the two ? :smashin:

24. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys any of you having these issues with your Denon , I'm sort of being put off the 2500 because of these problems,so was wondering if Denon has issued a firmware update to iron them out

1. Seems not to be compatible with universal studio discs

2. A known issue with Denon is -5 LFE and that means the subwoofer is not in line with the rest of your speakers unless you put the rest of the speakers down by -5db.

3-No source direct ,doset it matter that much?

I guess I narrowed down my PQ prefrence to the 2500 but cant make the move befor I hear what you have to say ,Thanks

25. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    1 they have fixed all the latest probs with universal discs to date
    2 i have been reading in other forums that this was fixed but i have not seen it in the change log but people are saying its fixed anyone ? know for sure
    3 no source direct on these models but it might change you never know

i hope they have fixed all the probs as i will be getting one as soonas my amp come in

26. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    thanks Meridius, i guess i should have no worries then ,it seems a brilliant player cool:clap:

27. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    As Meridius has found, most of the stuff posted is not being gotton across properly, most issues are disk releated, and anything that is not generally gets fixed by all manufacturers if indeed it is deemed to be a real problem.

28. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Great ********, I know there was a shootout regarding this player and others but the fact it uses a panasonic processor that is not up to scratch for DVD upscaling and the lack of pure direct ,worries me a bit, Not sure how you and other feel about,it i want to join the BD era but don't want to regret my choice and the missus wont allow me to upgrade soon enough !

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  29. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    hi mate i was worried also and had a home demo and trust me the SD DVD upscaler is exellent ok there will be better out there but i put this player up agenst my pioneer lx50 whihc used to be a £500 SD DVD player a year ago and the denon SD DVD wipes the floor with it.

yes it does use the panasonic chip but i would of thought denon would tweek it and use better components to get the most from it bu tto be honest i was trying out star wars 3 ROTS and it looked so good i started to watch the film for 40min before i had to slap myself and continue with testing the player

the SD DVD might not be the best out there but its going to be the best at that price point and you get one of the best blu-ray players to with amazing sound to boot jesus i am sounding like i work for denon , lol

30. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well i guess Meridius and ******** have put my mind to ease and it sounds like a good buy ,so will keep you updated how i get along with the denon and thanks again