1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-2200: video/audio review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fingolfin, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!
    I would like to share with you my full review on my last purchase, the Denon DVD-2200. I've finally got the chance to test this player with a friend of mine.
    The player was linked to a Panasonic AE-300 projector via component cable and to an Onkyo 600 via optical cable (Van Den Hul Optocoupler).

Video test:
    First thing we tested the player using the projector in both interlaced and progressive scan mode. Notice that both the player and the projector are set to factory default as far as picture adjustment are concerned. So there's so much to improve! I'm just waiting for my Video essentials dvd to arrive to set my system up.

Interlaced mode:
    We put Toy Story 2 DVD and in Andy's room the nasty problem of the Panny AE-300 is still there. It's a problem with Chroma delay that seems to be present only on european version of this projector. I repeat it's the projector, not the player.
    The stars on the wallpaper are yellow and the wallpaper is pale blue. Between the star shape and the wallpaper you can see a green border.
    In any scene with something yellowish against a blue sky or a blue background you can see this green edge.

Progressive scan mode:
    I set the player in progressive scan mode and everything changes!
    I can barely see the green colour problem and the picture quality is outstanding. What impressed us was the incredible amount of details coming up!! You could actually see the materials of the various things.
    You could see the texture of Woody's t-shirt, the feeling of the material of Andy's cover on the bed, you could read perfectly the name of the month (august) on the calendar in Andy's room etc...
    Colours are rich and vivid but they never seem to be so over emphasized to be disturbing and create undefined stains of colour.
    We tried also with "Ice Age" and again we were blown away by the excellent colours and the extraordinary richness of the picture...it was great to see so well the fur of Scrat, you could like distinguish every single hair, and the ice really looked like ice, if you know what i mean...it had that "wet" effect and you could see tiny ice crystals on the surface. Later on we tested it with the "Amelie" DVD which has very particular picture.
    Again, blown away by the richness of details. You could spot little wool fluffs on the jumper of young Amelie and the wool looks and feels really like wool.

Scart mode (RGB):
    Being the European model we have also Scart cable to connect the player to a tv. Here I have a problem with this kind of connection. In this way the picture looks all bright and the colours are all washed out like if the brightness was set to the max. I've tried everything. Changed the cable, tried it on other tv but I still get that problem. My player is faulty unfortunately.

Overall video test:
    In the end, as far as video quality is concerned, I can say I'm totally satisfied and happy with this player.
    It brings out details I'd never imagine to see and the best thing is to be able to "feel" things the way they are in real life so that wool looks like wool, woods feels and looks like wood etc...
    The picture is like carved and gives you a nice sense of tridimensionality (if that's a word). Especially with large screens and lcd projector it improves picture quality greatly.
    As for colours they are vivid and natural, never too much emphasized giving natural skin tones and marvellous panoramas to look at.
    As I said before, I still have to try and adjust picture settings to improve picture quality even more, if possible.
    The Denon has loads of parameters to be adjusted as for video is concerned. Obviously contrast, brightness, sharpness and hue.
    You can store different settings in 5 user memories. You can even adjust the gamma of the picture on many different levels, You can also set black level to darker and lighter.
    This last feature must give a big chance to set up the picture in the finest way possible!
    Since it's got 8mb memory buffer there's no layer skip issue.
    No Chroma bug was found too!

Audio test:
    This player has surprised me with its video performance but even more as an audio player. I love the fact that it plays everything. SACD, DVD-audio, normal cd's and mp3's.
    I must say that I never knew my amp and speakers (I have MS Premiere kit plus MS 905c) could sound so well!
    Used as an audio player it brings excellent sound with rich bass and detailed sound scene. I tested it with a sample dvd-audio and the sound quality was perfect. With classical music you could feel like if the violinist was there right beside you playing the instrument. Also with Jazz music the channel separation was great and you could hear and distinguish each and every instrument. Same impression i've got with normal audio cd's! They sound like i've never listened to them before making me notice details unknown before!
    Also when using to watch a film, I could notice a richer sound overall and a better definition with the dialogues that now seem clearer and better defined than with my old player (a Sony 725D).
    As for settings for audio, you can set up channel levels, size of speakers and their distance from the point of listening. By using the Pure direct mode you can even exclude the video circuit as well as turning off the display for the maximum quality possible etc...

Things I don't like:

Even if I am really happy about this player there are some things I don't like so much.
    First of all, not really important, the menus. Even if functional they could have come up with something a little bit more attractive. The menu system looks really cheap and some features could have been added.
    The only nice thing is that you can choose the background colour of the menu or put a picture, for instance a frame from your favourite DVD, as a background.
    I would have found really useful if i could have adjusted the chroma delay! That would have solved my prob with the AE-300.
    I miss another Scart connector. Two would have been good.
    A guy reported a problem with the dimmer not staying the way one chooses after you switch off the player. That is true...a little "bug" i may say.
    Resume mode is not supported. I really liked that function and I can't see why they didn't put it when the cheapest player has it! There are bookmarks but it's not the same.

Conclusion:
    Apart from this problem with the Scart connection, I am really really happy with this player from Denon. it's surely a big step ahead from my glorious Sony 725D. Thinking that this player could be considered the same as the 2900 since it shares the same components (Silicon Image, NSV, Super Sub Alpha) but the audio DACs and a lighter weight, considering I paid 700 Euro for the 2200 while the 2900 is listed at 1000 euro here, I think it's really worth the money for its quality and impressive video and audio performance.
    Should you have any question or anything more you wanna know about this player just tell me and I'll be happy to get back to you!

Hope this will be interesting!
    Fingolfin

2. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Have you had any problems with lip sync due to the delay that is caused by processing the progressive image?

3. markg1811

markg1811
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the review. I'm considering the 2200 to replace my Sony DV725 and your review may have swung it!

I'm interested in how well it plays audio CD's; you say it does so very well, but is this compared to a dedicated CD player or your old Sony DVD player?

I have never been impressed with the way the Sony 725 plays CD's and would be interested to know if you've made a comparison between the two.

Thanks.

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I can't comment on the Denon 2200, but i own it's bigger brother the 2900.

I find the CD playback on this machine is of a very good standard, far better than the pioneer and sony DVD players that i've owned. But overall i still prefer the sound of my Arcam CD player, just seems to have better imaging and a bit more sparkle to the sound(hard to explain). The denon seems to retrive all the same details but it just lacks that something, DVD-A/SACD sound is a whole another story, superb:smashin:

I think the main corner's cut on the 2200 over the 2900 were to do with the sound, so i can't imagine that machine being as good as a resonably priced CD player.

Giz.:D

5. ubee67

ubee67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't you experienced any problem with subtitle on. Mine keeps losing video signal to my infocus x1 projector with component video connection. It's very weird. Turning off subtitle or s-video connection instead of component connection works just fine.

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No mention of the absence of a layer change, superb :clap: !

What are the best DVD-A/SACD discs to demo on it?

7. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering the 2910. Went window shopping today and found a 2200 for 45 percent less money than the 2910. That got me thinking. Apart from the HDMI/DVI outputs, is the 2910 a considerable step up in picture and audio quality? How about DVD-A or SACD sound quality?

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not as far as I know. It uses the same picture chip circuitry and higher quality sound components.

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi markG
    When i had the denon 2200 i found its cd quality quite crap all in i found the sony dvpns 900v to be much better on cd replay and also matched the 2200 on sound and (picture this was on a 32" tv though,) were as on a projector i would expect the denon to be better,also the sony will play most rw discs wheres the denon was a right pig always locking up.That is why the sony got its place back and the denon sold.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    ps sometimes it seems newer doesnt always mean better. :)