Denon DVD-1930 vs Helios X3000 vs Buffalo LinkTheatre

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by vinster_2001, Apr 21, 2007.

1. vinster_2001

vinster_2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Buffalo LinkTheatre that does a fine job of upscaling content via a component connection when streaming video but does not upscale content from the DVD player.

This might sound like a daft question, but, does the Sharp LC32GD8E have an upscaler that improves the picture received from the DVD player as the picture does look good when viewing DVD's although I'm pretty sure it could be better.

I like the sound of the DVD-1930 and possibly the Helios X3000 although I am happy to keep the Buffalo for streaming. I would like to know if I will get a better picture using them for upscaling DVD's or should I keep the Buffalo?

All replies appreciated!

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Every TV has a scaler otherwise you'd get images only filling part of the screen.

The players you mention aren't comparing like for like, the Helios is an HD network playable capable of doing a lot more than the denon.

3. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think for his need "upscaling DVD" they can be compared like for like?? I heard/read the denon upscalling uses a better chip than the helios and hence has better picture for that need. But I am definetely no expert and I'm not sure what I read was from an expert...

4. vinster_2001

vinster_2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly right! I have the network capability using the Buffalo, which I am happy to keep if I go for the Denon.

I guess Q1 is - Will the Denon or Helios give a better picture than using the built in TV scaler?

and Q2 - If so, is the Denon better than the Helios?