Denon DVD-1920 with Pioneer PDP-436XDE Any known problems?

fidelityutensil

Standard Member
Hi there, long time reader..first time poster! (as they say!)

Well second time actually, just put similar post on the DVD bit (Sorry, I'm new to this!!)

Anyways, Just hooked up a Denon DVD-1920 to my Pioneer PDP-436XDE (via HDMI), and quite frankly, I was expecting a little more!

Am I doing something wrong/ are my expectations too high, or is there a problem with these two together?

I'd read a few things on the board about people having issues with these - (upscaler chips compatability probs or something), and would like to know if i should bin the Denon and look at something else.

I played around with settings etc with no joy, couldn't really see much of a difference between the picture through HDMI and that through my Scart!

Any help much appreciated!

keefers

Novice Member
I'm going to show my utter, utter ignorance here ... :eek:

What sort of difference should one expect to see when using HDMI over SCART? I too have a 1920 & a 436 and I see little if any improvement. I only got the 1920 earlier this week so I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet.

K.

fidelityutensil

Standard Member
keefers said:
I'm going to show my utter, utter ignorance here ... :eek:

What sort of difference should one expect to see when using HDMI over SCART? I too have a 1920 & a 436 and I see little if any improvement. I only got the 1920 earlier this week so I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet.

K.

Hi there, nice to see someone else in the same boat!

I was under the impression, with the upscalling that you would get a near HD quality picture (it was the reason I upgraded from my trusty 4 year old Sony DVP-S725D) surrely upscalled over HDMI should be alot better than standard over Scart!?

I read a couple of posts including this one:

blackeyepurple said:
I have the 436FDE and a Samsung DVD HD950 connected via HDMI and the picture is very good (no macro blocking or jaggies). I wanted to upgrade and got the Denon 1920 on line......I was very dissapointed with the image even after playing with the settings. The Denon gave jaggies even though its has DCDi. I sent it back and got a refund. I'm not sure if the Pioneer has a problem with the Denon as may users with other screens seem to like this player.....but with the 436 I think you will be dissapointed. I tried the player over component and HDMI and the results were pretty much the same.

plus one I can't find about the Faroudja DCDi FLI-2301 upscaller having issues with the one in the pioneer or something.

I was really hoping to get a "mind blowing-ish" DVD playback with upscalling, hence the post!!

IS IT ME?

andyclarke

Standard Member
I have the same combination of Denon and Pioneer and I get a truely wonderful picture with no ghosting or bleed as with SCART RGB. Sounds to me you have something set up wrong or a fault.

MAW

Banned
Nothing wrong I'm sure, it's simply a question of perception. HDMI has absolutely NOTHING to do with video quality, and neither really does upscaling when done by a basic, cheap chipset like in a £200 DVD player. HDMI is about Hollywood muscle and copy protection, not ultimate quality. They've sold it to a credulous public to get some seriously restrictive copy protection in place without you all kicking up a fuss. Just wait till the fireworks start, boy will there be some fun!

keefers

Novice Member
MAW's mentioned this before (a few times!)

Maybe I'll get a better HDMI cable, I'm sure the piccy should be a bit better than I see. But I'm a philistine.

I look forward to those fireworks, Maw :cool:

K.

B

blackeyepurple

keefers said:
MAW's mentioned this before (a few times!)

Maybe I'll get a better HDMI cable, I'm sure the piccy should be a bit better than I see. But I'm a philistine.

I look forward to those fireworks, Maw :cool:

K.

HDMI is digital....0100010001010011101 is the same on the worlds cheapest and most expensive HDMI cable.....don't buy the hype or waste your money. Good quality cables are important for analogue connections though.

MAW

Banned
Yep, digital cables have to be up to the job, for sure, but no point in going over the top. Once you have a proper error free connection, no further improvement is possible with a cable. Long runs of digital might need to be expensive, a 1m interconnect, Hmmm, I wouldn't spend much.
The fireworks will begin when HDCP is seriously enforced. 'pirated' HDCP chipsets could be shut down by OTA broadcast, or a revocation list on a new DVD, or blu ray disc. You'd better hope that whoever built Pioneer's HDCP chips has not sold tham to anyone who has sold them to a little chap in China!

fidelityutensil

Standard Member
MAW said:
Nothing wrong I'm sure, it's simply a question of perception. HDMI has absolutely NOTHING to do with video quality, and neither really does upscaling when done by a basic, cheap chipset like in a £200 DVD player. HDMI is about Hollywood muscle and copy protection, not ultimate quality. They've sold it to a credulous public to get some seriously restrictive copy protection in place without you all kicking up a fuss. Just wait till the fireworks start, boy will there be some fun!

So am I right in thinking therefore that I may as well not have bought the Denon, after all, the only reason i bought it was to get the best out of my 436 before HD content starts being streamed! Would my Sony DVP-S725D have done just as well?!

MAW

Banned
Don't know, mate, you'd have to try them side by side. All I've said is that HDMI upscaling is no guarantee of highest quality picture. Try setting it for 576p, see if it's better that way. Pioneers are pretty sharp and edgy with digital pictures, turn down the sharpness control too.

fidelityutensil

Standard Member
MAW said:
Don't know, mate, you'd have to try them side by side. All I've said is that HDMI upscaling is no guarantee of highest quality picture. Try setting it for 576p, see if it's better that way. Pioneers are pretty sharp and edgy with digital pictures, turn down the sharpness control too.

Cool. thanks for that, I may well be jumping the gun a little, I'll play around somemore and see what happens.... I'll keep you informed.

Obviously if anyone does have any more experience of these two together, will you let us know, Ta

Tom

markdk100

Banned
i have a very similar problem. Have the 436XDE and the Denon 2910 DVD and the picture quality isn't what I expected at all.
From reading other threads on here I get the impression that Denon DVD players aren't as good with picture quality as the AV press would have us believe. Spent £500 on a new DVD player and the picture quality isnt that much different than my old marantz.

wingnut1

Standard Member
MAW said:
I agree with MAW, at the end of the day you pay for what you get! To spend £200 on a DVD player that does the same job as what your TV is doing is not going to give you an amazing increase in picture quality. The more you spend the better the quality, i have the marantz 9600 and the picture warrants the huge expense, not hi-def but i think it's bloody close!

mng70

Standard Member
I have been running my 1920 through my Panny 700 projector and the upscaled images were absolutely superb. Having had the Pioneer delivered and connecting my 1920 to it via a QED hdmi cable I wasn't overwhelmed either.
As the picture was so good on the Panny I believe it may be how the Pioneer is set up rather than the 1920.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom