1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1910 through DVI...Not that impressed! WHY?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Oakleyspatz, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Ok, so I've been using a modest Panasonic DVD-S75 through component to my Infocus Screenplay 4805 and have been very pleased with the resulting image. Sharp, great colours, excellent contrast and rock solid image. But I've been reading so much about how a DVI connection is the ultimate method of image connection that I had to get a Denon DVD-1910.
    Connected it up and selected first a 1080i output so as to take advantage of the slightly superior Faroudja in the 4805 compared to the lower spec Faroudja in the 1910. Result? Crap! The image 'shimmered' constantly and looked much worse than through the Panasonic. Next I tried 480p output. Result? Nearly as crap! The image was 'masked' on the sides by a kind of 'blurred frame'. Almost as if someone had placed their hands at the sides of the lens. Then tried 720p and I finally had an image which looked closest to my Panny but it still didn't have quite the impact. Colours where much more subtle, almost pastel in appearence. I went into my 4805's menu to boost the colours but that option was not there through DVI!!? Weird.
    Detail? No better than the Panasonic. I was expecting this massive jump in image detail which just wasn't there.
    So, I was not impressed at all with the Denon and have since sold it. I think the lessons learnt are:
    1) My Panasonic is a superb budget DVD player
    2) The Denon is wasted on a display that doesn't have a HD resolution of at least 720p
    3) Component is not as far away from DVI as some would have you believe.

One plus point on the Denon, I never saw any Macroblocking that people have mentioned !

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sorry to hear that Danny. Interesting never the less. Maybe it is something to do with the 1910 being Denons budget deck.

Can you return it?

Pete.

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    :offtopic: Pete how are you getting on with the Pioneer?

I Have the Panasonic S97 and have updated the firmware to 536 but it still suffers from macroblocking :(

Adrenochrome.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hi Oaks

I don't know if you've read my recent comparisons but I've similarly been slightly disappointed comparing my newly acquired Samsung 745 via DVI with my existing Pio 575 via component.

Via DVI I don't get any shimmering effects you descibe, to be honest all DVI resolutions look clean and fine (one of them flips to 4:3 AR but I think that's as designed).

But the Sammy is not quite as sharp as the Pio. Colours are deeper though. The picture is darker hence I need to adjust things to retain the image's "snap".

I definitely prefer the Pio.

I must admit I tried not to get my hopes up for DVI, mainly because I'm using a 15m cable. I either thought I'd get problems, or it would work fine and the pic would be stunning. I didn't count on it working fine and the pic not being quite as sharp. That said, the Pio on my TX has amazing clarity - and I did find it difficult to imagine anything giving me a significant improvement....PJ :)

PS Similar to you, using DVI reduces the amount of control I have on the TX over the image eg colour

PPS the Sammy via component looks :thumbsdow

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I always recommend you don't use the scaling function of these players, particularly the Denon. Output in 576p or 480p is best in my experience. Let the projector do all the scaling (which most of them are actually quite good at).

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Tom, as before, not wishing to take Dans thread off topic but the Pioneer 868 is superb. The picture quality via 720 hdmi is great. Loads of detail and great colour. Very, very pleased.

However, some things I have noted are ~

a. It is not as good at spinning music as my Denon 2900, though a standard CD via Firewire is very detailed when played in 5 channel stereo.

b. the remote is as bad as we established at the Bristol show :suicide:

c. The denon range are superior build, in my humble opinion

However, ultimately its about PQ and the 868 has it in spades, whether connected via HDMI or Component progressive :smashin:

Pete

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes I think you are right. What I'm most surprised is how little, if any, benefit is gained by removing the D->A->D stages from the signal path...PJ

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    PJ

I have seen some pretty hideous things with Denon players upscaling. The built in scaling is pretty iffy in my book. I think they have bandwidth issues. 480p / 576p can look wonderful however.

As someone who is fussy about quality I had similar reservations but looking at the DVI output of a Tag (AD DA) then I soon realised it is how you do the engineering that matters. The AD stages are generally very good, where you start having problems is the transmission and DA stages.

9. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Comparing 480p/576p on the Samsung (DVI and Component) against the upscaled images, I reckon upscaling is significantly better. Sharper, crisper and reduced artifacts. Likewise with other scaling players I have tried.

Also just to contradict PJ (again) the component picture on the Samsung is very good on my set up (especially @1080i). See other threads on 745/945's to back it up.

Also remember the PIO 575 has its fair share of critics regarding its PAL PQ (jagged edges).

The Denon 1910 (IMHO) had a very good DVI PQ, but macroblocking was evident when I tried the player.

I surmise the player / display combination must be a big factor to explain these differences of opinions.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think the player / display combination is everything.

That's why I keep saying "on my setup".

But I remain surprised how much better the standard 480p/576p component PQ on the Pio looks than any of the res's on the component Sammy output. I mean, it's chalk and cheese. Same cable by the way. On my setup. :) ...PJ