Hi,

Long time lurker and first post...

My setup consists of the following:

Panasonic TH-42PW7B
Slot 1: DVI-D
Slot 2: SCART
Slot 3: Component BNC
Denon DVD-1910 (Firmware 1.09)

I am trying to set up the 1910 via DVI and am having difficulty in getting a stable and high quality picture. Once I realised I was having problems I did some searching around (I know I should have done this first) and have come across all sorts of people having the same problem as me - something to do with scaling(?) and what format the 1910 is sending out and what the DVI board in the plasma can receive.

A picture can only be obtained by multiple pressing of the DVI button on the player itself. Sometimes the picture appears, but only to vanish some seconds later. On the rare occasion that I do get a picture, the quality is so poor it is almost unwatchable.

There have been rumours of a 1910 firmware update (1.10), but I have not read anything to say that this has fixed any of these issues.

After my research I am pretty much resigned to swapping out the 1910 for an alternative unless you kind people can point me in a direction that will help, either by way of a possible fix or a different DVD player with DVI out?

Thanks in advance.

Zooben

I don't know if there might be any specific incompatibilities with the Denon and PW7, but the DVI card on the Panasonic only takes 50Hz signals (something that originated from a PAL/R2 DVD) at 576p. It will not take it at 720p, this will only work for 60Hz (NTSC, R1 etc) DVDs. This is something to do with the Panasonic card, not the DVD player. Any DVD player would have the same issue.

Liam @ Prog AV said:
Any DVD player would have the same issue.

So with regards to DVI input on this plasma, am I completley stuffed? Its a tad annoying, but I can use the DVI for occasional computer use. My PC seems to like the DVI board even if the DVD doesnt.

Is the general concensus that I am going to be better off in terms of picture quality to go for component?

Zooben

DVI 576p @ 50Hz (i.e. no upscaling) *should* work fine with the DVI card. It's only with upscaling (from 50Hz signal) that the Panasonic doesn't have a chance in hell.

Liam @ Prog AV said:
DVI 576p @ 50Hz (i.e. no upscaling) *should* work fine with the DVI card. It's only with upscaling (from 50Hz signal) that the Panasonic doesn't have a chance in hell.

That's the thing, it doesnt work at all most of the time. The DVI input is controlled by a small button on the front of the player and you toggle through all the available output modes. The screen flickers, sometimes you get the 'snow' but most of the time it says 'no signal'.

Going to have another play tonight and read more tech specs.

Thanks for your input Liam - Much appreciated! :smashin:

Zooben

Hi mate,i too have been having the same probs as you.
I have found a way round it-ie by getting the image to stay on the screen!!
All i am doing is :eek:nce film loads and you have nothing on screen via digital input,keep changing the input on the plasma(mine is SVHS-component-vga-digital)until you come back to the digital(dvi)input.Some times i have to do this a couple of times though :confused: Now i finaly get to watch some awesome pictures on the screen,just a shame you cant upscale PAL though!!
Happy viewing

Cheers Ebury - tried this last night and finally got a picture. Bit of a pain though. I am wondering whether to take the 1910 back and u/g to a 2910 and go for decent component..

Zooben

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom