1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1910 & DVI Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulw77, Oct 1, 2004.

1. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just bought a Denon DVD-1910 and have it connected to a Sanyo PLV-Z2 via DVI.

Using this connector the picture does not fill the screen vertically or horizontally. I could, of course, use zoom on the projector but obviously this would mean my other sources would be too big for the screen.

Has anyone else experienced this with any other players (maybe the 2910/3910) ??

The progressive output does not exhibit this fault.

I will investigate settings in the Z2's service and factory menus and post back if I make any progress.

For what it's worth, the picture via DVI is stunning - Monsters Inc. via 1080i is breathtaking.

The player was bought from Practical Hifi in Bolton who received stock this morning (Fri 1/10).

Thanks.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you are outputting 1280x720 you will need to set your projector to native mode or similar.

When you say "progressive output does not exhibit this fault" do you mean the component outputs? As a progressive signal is sent via the DVI connection. In fact don't think it can do interlaced over DVI.

So, don't use zoom but change the aspect ratio to ensure it is set to native (or whatever the Z2 calls it). YOu will need to change it based on input source.

3. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oops sorry - yes I did mean that the COMPONENT outputs don't exhibit this fault.

I have now fixed the DVI fault as follows :

1. On the Z2, enter the service menu by pressing Menu and Input on the projector at the same time for about 2 seconds.
    2. Go to setting 396 (labelled as 'HDCP' on the service menu guide that I have). By deault, this was set to 0 (zero) on my Z2.
    3. I changed this setting to 2 (valid values are 0-5). Initially the screen displayed "snow", but after rebooting the DVD player the picture reappeared and filled the screen both vertically and horizontally.

Hope this helps other 1910/Z2 owners, but don't blame me if you bugger things up while fiddling around in the service menu !

Do this at your own risk !

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    On another note what do you think of the player?

5. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Initially very impressed, but I really haven't put it through it's paces yet. I am about to watch my first film on it, but it will be through component as my current DVI cable is too short to allow me to position it properly to connect my coaxial cable at the same time !

Will report back soon.

6. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    I had the same problem with DVI cables being long enough yet avoiding 'sparklies'. Not only that but poorly encoded discs appear 'horrible' on a DVI connection. Eventually gave up and return Component prog scan.

But this week I returned to DVI again. I bought a 10m Coaxial cable and moved DVD player closer to the Projector. This was a much cheaper option for now!!!!!!!

Maybe you could something like that initially while you decide whether you prefer DVI or not?

7. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    I too am interested in this player and would be interrested to hear what you think of it

:thumbsup:

8. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not really an option for me to move the player closer to the projector. I will be ordering a 7.5m DVI cable today.

Still haven't really tried out the player in detail - maybe later.

9. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110

I tried a 7.5m cable from Lindy too at my first tryst with DVI. 'Sparklies' were a major issue. Lindy suggested that 'environmental' factors have an influence on signal strength. Things such as other cables and components etc..

I've read other members have had good success with Lindy's but not me. So good luck

10. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Having first thought I had cured this problem, it seems I haven't !

When the projector is turned off and back on again, the problem returns. It seems it is a problem with the projector, as the problem does not occur when I urn the DVD player off and back on again.

I have tested this with 2 different DVI cables.

Any ideas ??

11. TommyH

TommyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo Paul!

I have exactly the same problem with my 1910 feeding my BenQ 8700+ projector. There is no setting in the projector that can solve this problem. There are several other persons in a swedish forum (www.prisjakt.nu/forum) having the same problem with the 3910 and also 1910 feeding other projectors. But there are also people that does not have this problem.

On my 90 inch screen I get 2 cm black "frames" above and on the right side of the active picture. On the left side of the active picture I get 5 cm black "frame". This only occurs playing PAL discs in 720p via DVI. When playing NTSC discs there is no problem.

Maybe you can try a NTSC disc and see if your setup shows the same result?

I think that the 1910 and some projectors (plasmas, lcd:s etc) doesn't work very well together???

// Tommy, Sweden

12. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tommy,

Not an option to try an NTSC disc as my 1910 isn't multiregion yet.

Is yours ? If so, do you have a disc or did your dealer do it for you ?

13. TommyH

TommyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, my 1910 isn't multiregion yet. It was an "All regions" NTSC disc I used.

14. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK, I think I may have found another fix for this (albeit a little messy).

Switching from Input 2 to Input 1, then back to input 2 makes the DVI image the correct size.

Hope this helps some frustrated 1910+Z2 owners !

15. TommyH

TommyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is confirmed by the distributor in the scandinavian countries that Denon is aware about the problem. Denon is working on a new firmware that cures it.

16. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just had this from Denon in response to an email I sent them on this subject :

Hi

By press the DVI button on the front you can choose 480p 720p and 1080i has the output for DVI check with the projector what it is working with. Play around with the settings on both the projector and DVD player to find the combination that works best.

It could be that your projector is incompatible with the player as we have experienced no problems with it.

Best regards,

Product Support

Thanks for nothing Denon - that's really helpful !

17. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just had another response from Denon, afer I pointed them here !

Hi,

If you notice it is for the Scandinavian market. Therefore if increased reports occur in the UK then a firmware update will be looked into. So far you are the first person to contact DENON UK over this issue.

Best regards,

Product Support

Please, If you are having this problem with the 1910, contact Denon UK. In the meantime, I have contacted Sanyo for their comments re : connecting 1910 to Z2.

18. Cablechap

Cablechap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

I'm having a similar issue with the DVI-D output. My 1910 is multiregion.
    I'm using a Profigold 2m single link cable which is supposed to be okay up until 1080 res.

480/576 fine with NTSC/PAL :)
    720 fine with NTSC :)
    1080 fine with NTSC/PAL :)

720 with PAL is no go :(
    Just get strips of colour in the centre.
    Any ideas?
    I guess its down to 50hz somewhere along the line.

Another question: if 1080 is progressive out of DVI-D, why does it have an 'i' at the end when the other resolutions have 'p'?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

19. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have any of you experienced a flash of static noise (snow) at any time when watcing a movie? I noticed this on my AE700 when watching Stalingrad (PAL R2). 5m DVI-HDMI cable used. No probs with a Yamakawa over DVI. I've boxed it up ready to send it back, but I may just give it another go. Macroblocking is also noticeable in some dark scenes.

20. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cablechap,

Where did you get the multiregion mod for your 1910 ?

I don't think 1080 is progressive.

As for 720p, it it a strange one isn't it ?? On my PLV-Z2 it doesn't fill the screen at all with the default Z2 picture setting, changing it increases the size to "normal" but still has a black frame around it.

21. Cablechap

Cablechap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi paulw77,

I bought mine from SMC (Shrewsbury, Shropshire). To get it multiregion it had to have the firmware upgraded via disc (from an obvious source). Most Denon retailers should be in receipt of this by now. You will have to take it back to your dealer to be updated, as I suspect the firmware will never be available to download from the Web. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I still need some ideas for getting PAL to work on 720p. Would another Denon firmware upgrade solve this, anyone?

Cheers :beer: ,

Cablechap

22. gizzborn

gizzborn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    would this denon player be a good match for my h56a
    cheers

23. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have finally got around to setting up my Z2 and 1910. This is connected by an 8m Supra DVI-D lead only. On playing back 1.85:1 dvd's shouldn't the picture fill the screen?
    I've tried playing back at 480/576 and 720 and 1035 but none of these fill my 16:9 screen. the best I have is what seems like a 2.35:1 ratio, which kinda defeats the object of getting a big screen. Also, my eyes cannot be that bad but I can't see much difference, if any, between the higher upscaled pictures over normal ie 480p/576p. Am I doing something wrong?

I've seen Paulw77's fix via the service menu - were you having the same problem with picture size?

Thanks.

24. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    Will this work ok and full screen on an hitachi 42pd5200 ?

25. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading all this, I'm definately waiting for the Samsung 945 to come out.

26. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My service menu fix doesn't work permanently - when you switch off either the projector or DVD player (can't remember which!) the settings revert back to "normal".

If you are upsacling to 1080i, switching from input 2 to input 1 then back to input 2 on the Z2 cures the problem, but this doesn't work when upscaling to 720p. The default picture from 720p is very weird - sort of a narrow strip across the screen. Press the SCR button on the Z2 remote improves things, but you still get the gray border which you cannot get rid of.

I would urge you to contact Denon - they are denying all knowledge of the problem and when preseneted with forums evidence such as this one try to blame the projector (which it could be down to, but it would be nice to know). Several other poeple over on the avsforums have also reported this problem with other projectors/plasmas.

I spoke to a Denon guy at the Manchester show at the weekend and he said if you ring their tech support number and log it, they will investigate. The guy's name was Roger Batchelor.

Hope all that helps.

27. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks Paul.

I've just been playing around with it and changed the settings in the SM. It did'nt make any difference. However, I checked the dvd player settings.
    I had set the display mode to 16:9 via the custom setting menu when I first powered up the player. When checking, the quick menu displayed it as 4:3 letterbox. Guess what, I changed this to 16:9 and I got a full screen!
    Seems that problem is solved. Still can't see much difference with the upscaling though, and the colours on shrek look a bit washed out. Looks like I'll have to get the avia disc.

Thanks for your help.

28. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    So will it work on a 42pd5200 via DVI and is it worth getting ?

29. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I did some more testing with this last night. I made a copy of my Region 1 Toy Story on a DVD-R (obviously NTSC).

It plays perfectly on my 1910/Z2 combination. The image fills the screen completely using either 480p/720p/1080i. Pressing 'Stop' results in the problem returning - the 'Denon' startup screen doesn't fill the screen, especially in 720p, where the image is "squashed" vertically into the middle of the screen (looks almost like a 2.35:1 film).

The problem is obviously with PAL material.

I am seriously considering returning this player to my dealer, although they will probably try to blame the projector.

30. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Duncan.

I don't know whether your question refers to the player, or the various resolutions, so here's my penny's worth.
    I have a player that outputs 480p, 576p, 720p 50/60hz, 1080i 50/60hz and 2 custom DVI resolutions. They all display properly, if you adjust aspect settings in the DVD player or the TV service menu,
    (the TV is a 5200, the player is a Momitsu 880).
    Can't say I notice any difference in the quality between the various resolutions though. Maybe it's my eyes, as I've read good reports on the player.