1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1910 DCDi Faroudja FLI-2301 or 4805 DCDi Faroudja FLI-2310 what's the diff?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I am getting a Denon DVD-1910 and notice the Faroudja inside is the DCDi FLI-2301 which is very slightly different to that inside the Infocus 4805 which is the DCDi FLI-2310. Which is better and how much difference, if any, is there between the two? :confused:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect you'll be best able to answer this after you've compared them :D

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    9!

(Was I First?)

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
  5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks so much MikeK. That's just what I was looking for. I will try outputting 1080i from the Denon which will then allow the 4805 to use it's slightly higher spec 2310 Faroudja to do the de-interlacing and compare the two. It's this macroblocking issue that concerns me and what I really want to avoid.
    Cheers mate !

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I'm a bit intrigued as to what benefits you might gain from upscaling a 480/576 signal to 1080i, only to have the 4805 deinterlace and downscale it again to 480p.
    The process will inevitably lead to some information loss (whether it's noticable or not though, I couldn't say)

That said, you do get the digital output, which may be worthwhile - some people say it's miles better, while others notice little difference (and one or two still prefer component)

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I say output a 1080 signal because this is the only signal from the DVI on the Denon which is interlaced as far as I know. All other signals are progressive i.e. 480p and 720p which means that the internal Faroudja in the 4805 will be by-passed. They only way to utilise the Faroudja in the 4805 is to send it an interlaced signal.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Sorry for hijacking but did you consider the Samsung HD745? I'm tempted price-wise but the blacker-than-black (whatever that is?) issue is making me think again. Just wondering if it's the same thinking for you?
    ...PJ

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital or not, upscaling to 1080i & then deinterlacing/downscaling to 480p is bound to have an adverse & noticeable effect on PQ.

:smoke:

10. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be such an annoying beginner but what does 480/576p, 720p and 1080i all stand for?

I have a denon 2910 which allows switching between the three via the DVI-d connection to my Sagem d45 HD rear pro tv. But can't really see any difference in PQ, maybe I'm not looking for the right effect.

P.S Is there a way of getting rid of the black bands top and bottom using these settings?

Cheers guys,
    ^w^

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    They represent resolutions - 480p is NTSC 720 x 480 progressive, 576 is PAL 720 x 576 progressive, and 1280 x 720 is 720 progressive. 1920 x 1080 interlaced is 1080i. PAL and NTSC can also be interlaced - it depends on the output of the source.

Not sure why you can't see the differences, maybe the tv is a progresive display, so everything is shown that way and if it has a good scaler to match the incoming signals, then they are being scaled to the native res of the display. If you can't see the differences, then that might be a good thing - all signals look good. :)

If the tv is 16:9, and the image that's being displayed isn't (such as scope 2.35:1), then you will get black bars somewhere to some degree.

Gary.

12. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I agree, but that's why I would like to see just how much better the FLI-2310 is compared to the FLI-2301. If I send a 1080i signal and the picture still looks at least as good as sending a 480p, then I'll know that the better Faroudja really is better. It will help me with future purchases of both projector and player.

13. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Now for a sensible contribution...

From my I-scan HD via DVI from a DVI input (Yamakawa 365) I rate the best PQ:

1:1 custom setting out from 480p NTSC / 576p PAL in
    Yam's custom settings (passthru)
    480p
    576p
    1080i
    720p

The difference is really slight though and often has more to do with the quality of the transfer than the processing involved. Some older stuff looks better being sent to the scaler analogue via RGBs at 576i. I generally favour clarity foremost.

Whatever setting you end up with you're in for a treat.

14. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gary, I guess it's a good thing that I don't see any difference in PQ thanks for your explanations. Still not sure I know what they all mean but happy that my TV seems to cope with them all without me having to worry.

Life's too short!!

15. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Wishy,
    The number, e.g. 480 is the amount of horizontal lines making up the image. The higher the number, the more the lines and the better the image detail. So obviously, a 1080 High Definition picture will have more than twice the amount of lines as an NTSC 480 picture and will look considerably better for it. The 'i' or 'p' after these numbers refers to whether the image is 'interlaced' or 'progressive'. An interlaced image is shown in two passes, on the first pass, all the odd lines are displayed and on the second all the even numbers are. This can lead to instability in the image, especially on fast moving images such as motor racing. Progressive images are displayed all at once. Both odd and even are shown in one pass and should give a much more stable image. That is why some people prefer High Definition as 720p (720 lines shown progressively) to 1080i ( 1080 lines shown interlaced) the 1080i has slightly more detail, but the 720p looks better with fast moving scenes. Obviously the Holy Grail of High Def is 1080p. Superb detail and stability.
    Hope this helps your understanding a little better.

Danny