Denon DVD-1800BD - True HD Decoding

nanandn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Denon AVR-4308CI. I just purchased Denon DVD-1800 BD blue ray dvd player. The player's spec in denon's web site says "features support for the latest generation high resolution audio formats, including Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus as well as DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks."

But after reading may reviews of this product, I saw that it does not have built in decoders for these audio formats. In one of the web sites I saw this.

• built-in audio decoding to PCM for Dolby Digital and DTS
  • multichannnel uncompressed PCM output via HDMI
  • bitstream audio output via HDMI for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio

I don't understand what this means.
- If the DVD player decodes Dolby Digital and DTS to PCM, will the receiver still output DTS and Dolby digital audio quality?
- If the DVD player outputs bitstream audio for TrueHD and DTS-HD, will 4308CI decode these as TrueHD and DTS-HD?

I guess, my question is since the DVD player can output only PCM and bitstreams, will the audio quality be same as TrueHD, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital etc. Does this mean that the A/V receiver is decoding these audio formats?

Which is better - Having a DVD player with built in decoders or a A/V reciver like 4308CI that can decode these formats?

Thanks
Anand

Just set your BD player to bitstream and let your 4308 do the decoding.

If you use the internal decoder on the player, it will only extract the core DD & DTS formats buried in the TrueHD & DTS-MA tracks.

Mind you, you will need to set it to the latter, if you wish to listen to PiP audio.

Ps. Having the amp decode is better IMO. My PS3 was ok at internal decoding, but nothing special. When i got my 2500BT and set it to bitstream, the sound formats took on a new life. So much more dynamic. Especially DTS-MA.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom