1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1720 And Toshiba SD-350E Questions.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PikPik Carrot, Sep 1, 2005.

1. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Mico A980S is starting to give me grief. Keep getting damaged disc symbol on perfectly good discs, mainly on cdrs at the mo, same discs worked fine before.I think it may have something to do with a svcd cdr getting left in there for some hours sittng on the screen saver.Player got rather hot,so did the disc.Had to keep pressing eject.

So im thinking of getting a new player, the mico i have had for some years now.

Anyways im looking at ether the Denon DVD-1720 and the Toshiba SD-350E.Both got 5 stars a a excellent write up in the new what hifi mag.Now whathifi says they can play dvd-r and cd-r but what the mag does'nt say is if they can play vcd and svcd. Does anyone have or knowsome who ether of these players and can tell me if they can play both vcd and svcd. And can they play any cdr media along with dvdr media(taiyo yuden,verbatim and ritek dye)
    Oh and are they both multi region players, cant forget that other wise i cant play my R1 dvds.

Any other comments on these players are welcome.

Update....

Acording to comets site the toshiba is region2 only and the scart socket is not RGB enabled although toshibas website says it is rbg as under connections it says Scart(RGB)1. Little worrying, can anyone comferm?

2. Towner

Towner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Toshiba SD350E
    Leaflet that comes with it mentions VCD, not SVCD.
    Apparently will only play back DVD-R and DVD-RW, not Plus discs. Have not tried.
    I have tried a few differant brands with no problems.
    Multi Region is a simple remote hack, mentioned elsewhere on this forum.
    RGB scart is enabled.
    Lovely picture through comp on a Hitachi 32" Plasma.
    Only got it today so if I have any problems will post!!!

3. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    +R discs i dont use only -R. Remote hack i can live with. If it comes to it i'll have to find somewhere with see if i can test it and stick a svcd in. One great thing with my Mico was i could turn off macrovision.

Just read how to do the hack on another site. Im guessing once the hacks done once it's not needed again.

What about RCE enhanced R1 Discs can ether do them ?