1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1710 quick opinion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by darrellr, Jul 20, 2004.

1. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've received my new DVD player and, after the initial excitment of having my component cable fail, I've been astounded.

My previous DVD player was the Denon DVD-2500, a sturdy, well built player that really looked the part. Unfortunately it didn't play CD-R / CD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-RW / Photo-CD.

I have no great experience of what the competition may look like when connected up with my kit but I can assure you I'm VERY happy with what I've just bought. WOW! I now feel I'm getting my moneys worth out of my plasma. Spectacular picture quality, films have taken on a new life. I'm tempted to watch each and every one of my old DVDs just to appreciate them more.

The downsides are build quality, it's plasticy and if it were any lighter it would float but hey @ 109 inc. delivery what do you expect. There is also a discernable hum when playing. The noise is only noticable when the amp is muted but even so.

Denon DVD-1710 connected by component cables / optical to Denon AVR-1804 and Hitachi PD-5100. Video output set to progressive

2. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does this player do both PAL & NTSC progressive? I can't decide between this and the Pioneer 575, which does both prog scan. BTW Where did you buy your unit from?

3. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just ordered one from avland, it was also a toss up for me between this and the pioneer 575.

Looking forward to recieving it tomorrow.

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes the 1710 outputs both NTSC & Pal prog scan

5. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    it does NTSC progressive too but I don't have any Japanese disks to test with. When AV-land send me the multi-region fix I'll test it out on a few region 1 disks

6. setay

setay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Denon 1710 last week from AVLand. Excellent retailer...not sure about player. I too have it connected by component progressive scan into a 42PD5000pro Hitachi plasma. not that impressed although I think my expectations are perhaps too high. I'd agree that it feels cheap and its incredibly weightless...throw it in the air and it will probably to float back down! I did a bit of digging on the net once I'd bought it and I'm wondering if it might be a rebadged lite-on. they seem very similar.....even the remotes are alike! Anyone any ideas?? Plays Region1 films without problem.

7. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yepp region 1 disks play fine after I "upgraded" my 1710 with a multi-region firmware supplied by av-land.

No idea about re-badge. Just to re-iterate I'm very happy. A very budget machine that meets my expectations. No doubt there's better PQ out there but when I watch films I'm concentrating on the films not on the PQ so it must be okay for me. :thumbsup:

8. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too have an Hitachi plasma and I am undecided whether to get a progressive DVD player or not (since the ALIS panels are interlaced and not progressive). Are you able to switch between interlaced and progressive output on the DVD player and see any improvement (or otherwise) on the screen?

9. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My understanding of ALIS is very limited. I've read that the 42" plasma screens only light 512 rows at any one time.

Since this doesn't map directly to any input standard; be it interlaced (i.e 576i, 1080i) or progressive (i.e. 480p, 720p), it seems clear an upscale/down scale process has to take place no matter what. I presume at this point the standard comment of "garbage in, garbage out" is entirely accurate. The better, more detailed input provided, the better the displayed image is.

Having said all that the simple test is to try both R1 NTSC and R2 PAL discs on both interlaced out/ progressive out and see what difference I can determine. I'll report back later.

Regards,

Darrell

10. setay

setay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm no expert but believe the hitachi takes progressive scan signal through component. Switching off progessive scan (ie thereby switching to interlaced) makes no noticeable difference. I suspect I'm going to invest in a more expensive player......its a gamble though. Will it really make much difference?? denon is a nice machine and for £109 you can't expect miracles. its as good as my Sony 725 which cost me nearly £600 a few years ago. At least its silver and plays jpegs and kodak photocds which is surprisingly useful.

11. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Spookily I also have a Sony 725 running through my hitachi, and I am looking to upgrade to something with a better picture and layer change, but if progressive scan does not make that much of a difference on ALIS perhaps I will be spending the money solely for the sake of layer change. I am not sure that spending upto a grand (which was my budget) would be worth it.

12. setay

setay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just checked very carefully if there is a difference whilst switching between progressive and interlaced on the Denon. I have to say that I do detect a slight improvement...slightly more detail. I'm still not convinced that there is much difference between the Sony 725 through component and the denon with progressive scan. bottom line, the Sony at launch was a top end machine, the Denon is a current 'budget' machine so I guess its inevitable that they are similar in quality. I guess a player in the region of £500 would show some improvement over the denon but I'm not sure that its worth the gamble. Incidently, the Sony has been a spare DVD player for the past year as I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder (e55) and since it was going through RGB scart the quality was as good as the Sony. However, the 725 is an awesome machine that can clearly stand up well against current machines. I thinking seriously about buying one of the HD players such as the momitsu/brainwave.

13. darrellr

darrellr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    VERY interesting!

I have used the DVE disk to set up my display and re-did it when the Denon 1710 arrived. Obviously I did this with progressive on.

When I did the int/prog test with a region 1 disk I noticed an obvious difference in picture between the two. Thinking it through I ran the DVE disk against the interlaced output and realised that the Display (Hitachi Pd5100 plasma) needed re-calibrating to match! So effectivly it is not as simple as switching DVD output, the display needs optimising individually too.

Progressive output seemed much sharper around transients like dust bown up by car driving past etc but bearing the above in mind it is very difficult to be certain.

Regarding the diff between PQ between Sony 725, panasonic E55 and Denon 1710. The Sony had 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converters feeding a progressive output whilst both the Panasonic and the Denon have standard 10-bit, 54-MHz Video DACs. One would imagine that the Sony would be capable of a higher resolution picture because of this.

14. setay

setay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankd darrellr,

I may try the Sony again in direct comparison to the Denon. It sounds like I probably wasted the £109 on the Denon! The Sony is certainly better than the Panasonic e55 when used with component output. Its the first time I've been able to check its component out! Incidentally, I've just ordered a momitsu 880...I expect to get stung for custom charges soon! Can't wait to see the scaled picture.

15. setay

setay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW where would I get one of those DVE discs???

16. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    To get a DVE disk just visit the avforums powerbuy section. Yours for only £13 inc p&p.

I think its worth it for the shuttle launch bit at the beginning alone, looks great on the projector :D

17. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a multiregion firmware disc for this player???? I bought one without thinking about multi region seems so old fashioned to ask for multi region nowadays.

Regards

Gary