1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1600 - Views please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nsouthga, Jun 7, 2002.

1. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering a Denon dvd-1600 following a recommendation and I can't find any reviews anywhere on this player.

Does anybody have this player? If so, what do you think?

I've also been looking at the Toshiba 510 which gets good feedback, how does this compare? I've heard the 510 is about to be replaced by the 520, is this true?

TIA

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's on online review that seems to think it's a pretty good player. Home Theater Hi Fi just wrote up a review of the US version (adds progressive scan using Faroudja/Sage's DCDi technology) and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm not certain, but I believe the UK model is based on Panasonic's DVD-RA71 player with considerable massaging of the audio section. Picture quality should be great, with plenty of detail. I haven't seen one running myself (just sitting in a showroom), but it looks like a well-built, solid machine, although the remote looked and felt a bit cheap.

BTW, if you're looking for player reviews, you can't go wrong with this site :)

Adam

3. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Adam, I just found another review at:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=1910

4 out of 5 stars FWIW.

I plan to use the player for DVD rather than music so I'm wondering what else I should consider around the £500 mark?

I had almost decided to buy the Tosh 510, which is available for £260. But somebody told me that the 510 is about to be superceded by the 520.

I need to understand of the picture and audio of the £500 players will be worth another £250 over the Tosh...

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in some cases, yes... some no.

after everyone's problem with the Denon 2800, I dont know if I'd trust them again.

the dvd performance of all the toshibas particularly the 510 is very very good and puts most makes to shame.
    its lab results are almost as good as the tosh 900e so that should tell you something.

I definitely wouldn't discount it.. plus it does DVD-Audio if you fancy going that way.

the Denon 1600 is nice but overpriced here in Europe since it loses the progressive scan features.

what features are you really looking for?

the Tosh for £250-300 gets you dvd-a, NTSC prog-scan and a top picture.

maybe worth looking at the philips q40 & q50 which also have a very good picture, component out (not progressive) but no dvd-a.
    if you want to go upto your £400-500 mark, then add in the Philips 962 (SACD capable) and the similar SACD Sony model (700/900 ? not sure).

the harman kardon dvd 25 is looking interesting also for around £450.

5. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin, my primary use will be DVD so picture and audio quality are paramount. DVD-A is a "nice to have", also I need easy multi-region.

I was flicking through last months What Hi-Fi and they group tested:

Denon DVD-1600
    Marantz Dv4100OSE
    Onkyo DVS-555
    Panasonic DVD RA61
    Philips Q50
    Pioneer Dv-646A
    Sony DVP-NS700
    Toshiba 510

The conclusion they came to was the Pioneer was the best overall choice, but that the Tosh was a very close second.
    The Denon scored joint-lowest with 3 out of 5!

I've seen a multi-region Pioneer for £299 and the Tosh for £259, based on the reviews I've read about the place I'm swaying towards the Tosh. Has anyone done a side-by-side "taste test" on these two?

I couldn't find any info on the Harman and the Philips you mentioned?

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the Tosh is probably the cheapest to give you everything.. dvd-a, prog scan, excellent picture... a safe buy for less than £300.

bear in mind that SACD looks like beating DVD-A... very few discs for this format, whereas the Sony format (+philips + pioneer + others) has far more range and support.

the hk dvd 25 is reviewed in HCC & What TV & Vid this month... excellent scores and rated best buy, with very good CD performance. progressive scan, top picture quality.. possibly pal prog scan capable according to latest web info. approx £450.

the Philips Q40 is in this month's HCC and one of the others... very good picture... and highly rated.approx £250.

both are multi-region hackable.. the hk via firmware off the web. the philips via the standard remote hack. both are auto region and RCE compatible.

worth a look at the Philips 962 and the Sony 700/900 for SACD if you want to go that way instead.