1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DVD-1400 / new Yamaha S550?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MS-Yam, Sep 7, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at the new Yamaha DVD-S550 machine which has about the same video and audio performance of the Pioneer 575, which is meant to be good. Ican pick one up for around £120... but..

I also have the option to spend £80 more and go for the slightly older Denon DVD-1400. It's now only £200 from £400. Surely this should be snapped up. Or would I be spending the extra just for the sake of SACD and DVD-A which I dont really want. I want a machine with very good picture and sound, and good reliability, that's all. No gimmicks necessary. Ideally I would like a player that doesnt do SACD, DVD-A, MP3, JPEG, CDR, CDWR etc etc.. , a player that concentrates on good picture, sound and build quality only.

So.. do you guys think i'm better of going for the Denon, or the newer Yamaha S550? Or are there any machines that would suit me better??

Has anyone experienced the Denon? Any opinions and recommendations appreciated.

P.S. Not too bothered about P.Scan.

2. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just gone for the Denon 1400 at £199 because it was too much of a bargain
    for me to pass by. Have'nt really had chance to test it out properly yet but I did have a quick look at TLOTR and the PQ through RGB scart was excellent...as you would expect really....but the sound, even just through my TV speakers, was a huge improvement on my £100 Sony which has now been ebayed. Looking
    forward to getting the rest of my system together to hear what it can do through proper speakers.Can't tell you if it's better/worse than the Yam :nono:
    but IMHO it is a bargain :thumbsup:

I realise that this is a bit meagre...but every scrap of info helps :D

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Grif, I think the Denon will be good enough, but I wonder if it will be worth spending the extra £80 rather than going for £120 Yamaha. You're probably thinking of course it will be better, but as you will know, DVD players get so much better and so much cheaper each year, and I have a feeling they will be of a similar standard.

I have experienced three DVD players now, all in less than a year, which have either been unreliable or poor quality. All I want is a machine that has great picture and sound, and reliability.

Anyone else tried either the Denon or the Yamaha??

4. steve51158

steve51158

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) I am interested in buying the DENON DVD-1400,but where can I get it at £199,thanks?.