Denon & DTS-ES Discrete

Matt F

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone who's interested, I recently sent an e-mail to Denon asking them about the fact that their new AVR3801 does DTS-ES Discrete but their more expensive AV10SE does not. Below is my e-mail and their response:
---------------------------------------------

Would I be correct in thinking that your AV10SE does not decode DTS Discrete soundtracks whereas your less expensive AVR3801 does? If this is the case, do you intend to upgrade the AV10SE to decode DTS-Discrete?

Although the AV10SE does offer the luxury of THX Ultra and genuine THX Surround EX processing, I would have thought that sales are bound to be hit if it continues to lack an important new feature that one of your more reasonably priced units offers (especially given that the AVR3801 has all 7 channels of amplification on board).

I look forward to hearing from you.

---------------------------------------------
Denon's reply:

Thank you for your inquiry about AVC-A10SE vs AVR-3801. When we are considering two models in comparison, as you mentioned there are advantage and disadvanteage for each models. For example, since AVC-A10SE was designed in 1999, unfortunately this could not be equipped with DTS-Discrete format which was not born.

To compare with two models in total features, of course AVC-A10 is higher lanked model which has the possibility to expand up to 7.1 channel surround sound to be added with power amplifier POA-T10.

The important point is if we can make and release DTS discrete decoder or not. Honestly speaking, sorry but we cannot perfectly guarantee "Yes" because production cost for stand alone decoder unit is incredibly high and we wonder if this unit will be accepted in market or not.

Regarding as AVR-3801, this is newly designed and includes newest technology DTS Discrete 6.1 with 7 channel(105W/ch) amplifier configuration. This is very high cost per performanced model.

In conclusion, if you put more weight in consideration on DTS Discrete surround, you are recommended to choose AVR-3801. If you regard current basic amplifier specification as important, AVC-A10SE is recommendable.

Seems like the fine people at Dennon do not have a firm grasp of the English language:p

I'd say go for the best of both worlds: get the AV1SE when it comes out over here. Now that is a monster of an amp!!

Originally posted by simonsez:
Seems like the fine people at Dennon do not have a firm grasp of the English language:p

Likewise with you,
It's DENON, not DENNON. Mind you that's Japanese...

Rick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom