Denon DRA700 / Denon PMA700 / Cambridge Audio AZUR 640A V2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dead Cell, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Dead Cell

Dead Cell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Denon DRA700 / Denon PMA700 / Cambridge Audio AZUR 640A V2...

Guys just out of curiosity can you tell me which one of these you think would be the best for a 2.1 setup? Bearing in mind that sound quality is the most important thing and I'll be connecting a pair of Kef IQ5's.

I got the STRDA1200ES today and I tested it with my Kef IQ5's and the sound was crisp, well chuffed with it, but I've decided to stick that into the living room as it's a bit big and on the heavier side and it lets of some heat! :eek:

Going to Richers again tomorrow for the 10th time in the last two weeks lol so would love to hear your opinions before I go in there and start bugging them again.

Also do these normal stereo amplifiers produce as much heat as AVR's? I'm pretty sure AVR's need a lot more power than normal stereo amplifiers such as the one's I've listed here, correct me if I'm wrong! :confused:

Another thing (sorry), the listed amplifiers should be able to produce better sound than AVR's such as the Sony STRDA1200ES right?

Thanks as always. :thumbsup:

2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    640a Imo....

3. cambridge540

cambridge540
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, the stereo amplifiers will produce a better sound than the AV amps for music, and if that's what the main use for your system is then a stereo amp is clearly the choice. The Denon would be great, however in my opinion i would go with a Cambridge :) and no, the stereo amps should not produce quite as much heat as an AV amp (no displays, proccessing etc). so yes, i suggest the Cambridge all the way (i've found the build quality of these amps are superior to many Japanese amps) but in the end you should audition the 2 amps (denon and CA and see which sound you like better) Cambridge Audio do tend to have the typical british sound (mid-forward) which not everyone likes, but depending on your ears you may not notice much of a difference