Denon DRA-800H noise from unit problem

sunnybirch

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have Denon DRA-800H receiver connected to JBL Stage A180 speakers.
When Denon is turned on - there is a humming/buzzing noise coming from the unit.
Noise is audible from 50cm away. Noise source is somewhere from the middle right of the unit, around speaker A connections.
Marked red on photos.
Checked all cables, changed power cords, nothing helped.
I have another stereo amp connected to same speakers and power supply - no issues.

Are there any Denon DRA 800H owners here, that experience this noise issue?
Thank you.

Attachments

• denon1.jpg
    denon1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 63
  • denon2.jpg
    denon2.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 54
Correction:
the noise is coming from transformer.
It was the noise transfer on metal chasis to middle, but the noise is coming from transformer.
Its there when nothing is connected, i moved it to another power socket - noise remains.
Any recommendations how to fix it?

Last edited:
Noise present all the time when fully powered on you mean?

I've had a number of problems with this unit, but not had what you have described.

Noise is present all the time when fully powered (power on).
Seems its a transformer laminated core problem, vibrating due to unproper tightening.

When you say Noise ? Is it a Hum? or other noise? Another poster said it's a Transformer issue. I would move the Receiver to another electrical outlet to test for the same noise. Check all your Connections thoroughly (RCA cables, speaker cables etc.). I have a long story concerning an older (1987) NAD 1300 & 2600 Stack connected to a Dula CS5000 TT. it was sudden thing of severe HUM. After thoroughly examining and re-grounding , moving the electrical outlets, etc.... it ws a bad RCA cable connector on the Dual TT. The cable can only be replaced by someone that knows what they are doing bc, it is directl;y connected to the Tone arm. I recified it by geting an extension RCA cable, connecting it to the RCA cable form the TT and then to the NAD preamp. I had brought the NAD to a repair shop, who replaced some burnt diodes, yet that was not the problem.

On another front, and forgive me if this is the wrong thread. On my Denon DRA - 800H, I have connected 2 pairs of Elac Bookshelf speakers; 1 Pair of Elac Debut 6.2s to A channel; and 1 pair of Elac Debut Reference 6.2s to the B channel. They are both rated as 4-8 Ohms, BUT nominal at 6 Ohms! So, when played simultaneously A & B, the Denon gets really hot. I did not know anything about Ohms and the draw on the Amp. i do now. They draw at about 1/2 the nominal rating....so that means played together they are rawing at 3 Ohms. The receiver has a minimum of 4 Ohms. Originally, I had these speaklers wired in Parallel on one channel. I get moivated to wire the second B channel after the denon went into an Overload protection mode and Shut down (voulume at about 60). But even with he new wiring (I use only 14 gauge Cooper speaker wires), the denon gets very hot due to the draw of Ohms. When I connectb two other pair of speakers - both rated at 8 Ohms nominal, it is fine.
I really like how these two pairs of speakers play together, they sound terrific. Anybody knows of what i can do ? or add to control the Ohms draw?

When you say Noise ? Is it a Hum? or other noise? Another poster said it's a Transformer issue. I would move the Receiver to another electrical outlet to test for the same noise. Check all your Connections thoroughly (RCA cables, speaker cables etc.). I have a long story concerning an older (1987) NAD 1300 & 2600 Stack connected to a Dula CS5000 TT. it was sudden thing of severe HUM. After thoroughly examining and re-grounding , moving the electrical outlets, etc.... it ws a bad RCA cable connector on the Dual TT. The cable can only be replaced by someone that knows what they are doing bc, it is directl;y connected to the Tone arm. I recified it by geting an extension RCA cable, connecting it to the RCA cable form the TT and then to the NAD preamp. I had brought the NAD to a repair shop, who replaced some burnt diodes, yet that was not the problem.

On another front, and forgive me if this is the wrong thread. On my Denon DRA - 800H, I have connected 2 pairs of Elac Bookshelf speakers; 1 Pair of Elac Debut 6.2s to A channel; and 1 pair of Elac Debut Reference 6.2s to the B channel. They are both rated as 4-8 Ohms, BUT nominal at 6 Ohms! So, when played simultaneously A & B, the Denon gets really hot. I did not know anything about Ohms and the draw on the Amp. i do now. They draw at about 1/2 the nominal rating....so that means played together they are rawing at 3 Ohms. The receiver has a minimum of 4 Ohms. Originally, I had these speaklers wired in Parallel on one channel. I get moivated to wire the second B channel after the denon went into an Overload protection mode and Shut down (voulume at about 60). But even with he new wiring (I use only 14 gauge Cooper speaker wires), the denon gets very hot due to the draw of Ohms. When I connectb two other pair of speakers - both rated at 8 Ohms nominal, it is fine.
I really like how these two pairs of speakers play together, they sound terrific. Anybody knows of what i can do ? or add to control the Ohms draw?
@Almatti , please check out my reply on your other thread.

this was a useless attempt to explain God to the unbelieving.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom