denon dra-800h -- airplay 2 from apple devices drops signal

stereolover

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a one year old denon dra-800h stereo receiver. From the beginning, I streamed music from apple devices using the airplay 2 functionality. This worked directly from the music apps on my iphone, ipad, mac, etc. However, starting about a month ago, the receiver drops the signal after roughly five minutes. On the other hand, using the heos app from my iphone works fine. I much prefer the built-in apple apps, such as Music, which is easily controlled through the lock screen.

In attempts to remedy the situation, I've tried:
resetting everything -- xfinity gateway, receiver, apple devices
factory reset on the denon
network reset on the denon

Nothing works. Denon online help has been worthless.

I suspect that a recent denon firmware update may have created this problem -- but this is just a guess.

Would love to know if anybody else has experienced this issue. Whether there are solutions.

stereolover, I have HEOS issues with my Denon DRA-800H Receiver too. I use a Amazon Echo as a Music source selector. The Denon has some difficulties connecting to the Echo, but once it does, I can use Alexa commands to select music sources to play: Amazon Music, Tidal, Spotify and Pandora. But, if i want to use HEOS, I disconnect from the Echo , and select music sources via HEOS. Spotify is most erratic. I still don't fully understand the capabilities of HEOS as a Network Internet player. However, Pandora and Tidal play fine. I use my phone (Google Pixel 4XL) to select what i want to play. I use this stereo setup (no video yet), to play music that I enjoy and play my Drums to. I am 71 YO. I resurrected playing drums after a 50 year hiatus (1969) as a retirement pleasure / Hobby.

I use this stereo setup (no video yet), to play music that I enjoy and play my Drums to. I am 71 YO. I resurrected playing drums after a 50 year hiatus (1969) as a retirement pleasure / Hobby.
Fantastic! Don't tell me you were the 5th Led Zeppelin, cruelly dropped for John Bonham? :)

BTW, presumably that's using a miked (analogue) input to the Denon, rather than via any (live) network audio streaming process - that certainly would be some feat without using pro/studio kit!

Cebolla....Ha Ha... Glad you are familiar with my "story". Yes, Jimmy Page threw me out. There are only so many Bonhams !! W/O digressing here on this thread, my playing level would bring me to being able to tie 1 of Bonham's shoe laces!!. I'm a WOODSTOCKER !!. My Guys , so to speak, were Ginger Baker, Keith Moon (can't touch him too much either), Bonham, Copeland, Gaad, even Dino Danelli [Rascals]. I could post an interesting story about Bonham from the very early years on a General Discussion Thread.

Almatti, it’s like a missing page from Rock Family Trees - my era too!
Both; I use the kitchen HomePod and if I want to switch it through to the Denon in the living room, I just do it from Apple Music by ticking the living room box in the App.
Just checked it’s still working ok and it seems to be fine.

Attachments

• 7CF6EF22-3903-480E-982A-3F9AEAE40281.png
    7CF6EF22-3903-480E-982A-3F9AEAE40281.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 34
Onlythe sound, You have great grasp of the functions. I'm jelaous!! I used to think I was a Gagdetry Guy, but HEOS and the intricacies of Internet Radio, etc. is more perplexing than I thought!!.

I guess this is the right thread to post a very weird problem with Amazon Echo. I had a 3rd gen Echo unit in my finished basement (a created Mancave [hate that term, but I'll use it here}, where i created a sound room during COVID hibernation in the spring of 2020. From March 17, 2020, had to work form home with my employer of about 19 years. As a Mortgage Loan Officer, I hated it!! I like office inetrplay and also like looking at the "girls" Not in a dirtyb Old Man way , just some cutsie flirting - it's healthy !!. I suffer with Chronic Pain& Stiffness from Spinal arthritis & other arthritic conditions (Hips, SI joints, knees,and eben my Thumbs / fingers). SUX Big Time. Now I'm working exclusively as a Super Clerk on a PC facing a basement wall. You get the drift. In October 2021, I had to file for Long Term Disability - just copuldn't do this anymore with the Chronic pain. As I mentioned in an ealrier post, I resurrected playing drums after 50 Years. Now i created a Sound room in the basment - 2nd Stereo system. The other one in my LR dates back to 1987! [NAD 1300 Preamp, NAD 2600 Amp, a Dual CS5000 TT , Onkyo CD Player, connected to a pair of KEF 104/2 Tower speakers , no SWs, No EQs]. I get OCD occassionally (my wife would say not so occassionally! But it was my wife of 47 years who gifted me for XMAS 2018 a new Cheapo Drum Kit which encouraged me to play again), and it ws OCD that took hold during this process. I ordered a number of Stereo Receivers/Amps via Amazon, use them and if not to my liking , returned it and got another. I did some more research and settled on the Denon DRA-800H as the Linchpin to the new system. FF through 2020-2021, I purchased a "flock"of bookshelf speakers, some were returned as well (Amazon was Great with that). Now I have 1 pair of Elac Debut 6.2s, 1 pair of Elac Debut Reference 6.2s, 1 pair of Fluance Signature Series Book shelf speakers [don't sell these $225 speakers short - checkout the cheapaudioman on YT], and 1 pair of KEF Q350s [they can be a bit disappointing / fatiguing]. Also added a IOTA SA3 /PA3 Stack and a Emotiva A300 Amp [that stak is my Zone B on the Denon]. Lots of Overkill, but when I'm play the 2 systems simulatanously with all 4 speakers engaged, it sounds like a Concert Hall.
I Digressed. Back to Amazon Echo. Suddenly in one day, my 3rd Gen Echo would not play via BT to the Denon or the IOTA stack. The IOTA stack has a terrific BT receiver which connects immediately to the ECHO . The Denon is more Fussy. The Echo would not re-paid to my 3 BT devices I have in the basement { the Denon, the IOTA stack, and a pair of JBL Charge 3 BT speakers}. I called IOTA - they said reboot this and that, no help. Then on line with Amazon Chatting with an agent. Tried every measure : reboot Router, delecte and reisntall Alexa App, Rset the ECHO numerous times. Spoke with at least 2 other agents / reps - no help. They had me return my 3rd Gen which was out of Warranty. Had to buy a new 4th Gen Echo. they eventually granted a big discount for the new one. Plugged it in, set it up, and it did the Same Thing. No BT recognition or pairing, and when I asked Alexa to play Spotify , for instance, it started up, and then saud: "Sorry, That Device is Off Line". After many other emials and calls, it was finally reavealed to me in an email from an Amazon Supervisor that This is a World Wide problem - and appears to be with Android operaing systems. I have only Abdroid phones in the house. Checking the On Libe Amazon Forums revealed that others had the same problem. One psoter said he tried his wifes's apple iPhone and it worked fine. After months of give and go, just as suddenly in May 2021, I tried the Echo again, and Holy Shit it worked! It paired to the BT devices and played fine, and also played vai the Unit itself w/o those dreaded words cited earlier. And then it happened again - but a little differently. The Echo would pair to the BT device, play the commanded music fine, but when i disconnected the BT device or unpaired it, the music did continue to play on the ECHO until I told it to stop, and then commanded to play Spotify (or Tidal, etc), it said: "Sorry, That Device is Off line". More calls to Amazon.... and then they sent the 1st Replacement Echo (4th Gen). That played initially well and as specified until a few weeks went by and suddenly again!. Now on the 2nd replacement Echo - the same thing. Plays well for a few weeks and then it happens again. As of the other day, speaking with a Supervisor on the phone going over the ENTIRE story again, he confirmed with me what I suspected form the start..... There is a problem with the Software in the ECHOs, not the DOTs. I think because it is a sudden event, that it is directly tied to Android (I have a Google Pixel Phone). Android is famaous for doing Behind the scenes upgrades of Security updates. I think that's where the Glitch is. So after a lengthy discussion (the Squeaky Wheel Gets The Oil), I got them to agree to take back this newest ECHO , got a full credit of $109, and then I got a discount on new Echo DOT with Clock (4th Gen). That suffices plenty for me. BTW, I liked the 3rd Gen ECHO better than the 4th Gen - the 3rd Gen is mno longer avaialble. i'm waiting for the new Echo Dot. If it happens to this unit, back it goes and I will move on to a Google Nest. I will add , that I have a older Echo Dot, which i tried in the same location, paired it to the same devices , and it played Fine and it is supposed to?? Interesting stuff this digital stuff.

@Almatti

Try editing your reply to break it down into paragraphs with spacing between each one. As it is at the moment it's too big and one long continuous read. It often deters members for reading and thus replying.

@Almatti, @Onlythesound and All -- thank you for the feedback and pointers. I figured out what's going on. I replaced my internet gateway and now streaming directly from the iphone/ipad music app works fine. My previous gateway had periodic drop outs that resulted in disconnection with the Denon receiver. However, all other streaming through the old gateway worked fine, including TV, Heos, etc. This suggests to me that, while the gateway was the actual problem, the Denon receiver has buffering and connection issues. It's too susceptible to brief failure from transient dropouts, more so than other streaming feeds.

This may not be the correct thread , but I have a somewhat similar problem. I use Amazon Echo as a Music Source via BT connections to my Denon DRA-800H Receiver and a IOTA SA3 / PA3 Stack - not at the same time obviously. I have found that the Denon's BT receiver sucks. It is "tricky" to get the Echo to recognize and connect to the Denon. The IOTA couldn't be easier. I had a Echo - 4th Gen unit that in an earlier post, I delineated the surprising issues with 3 replacements units. Those would recognize the Denon (with some difficulty) , but the other prevailing issues with it forced to send it back and get a new Echo Dot (4th Gen). This Dot easily recognizes the IOTA , 1,2,3 , But no luck so far with the Denon. Am I doing something wrong? I hit BT on the remote, and put the Echo into pairing mode looking for BT devices, but it doesn't recognize the Denon. Could be HEOS interference? Is there a setting on the Denon I am missing? Any help is appreciated.

Hey Almatti,

Check out page 52 on the manual (link attached).
Hopefully that’ll help you out.

Hey OST - found that. That's what I was doing, However - here's a tip... I had to Reset the Denon, holding the power button for 2 seconds. That deleted the previously stored BT device - the older Echo. Then followed the directions on page 52, and it finally worked . According to the manual, the Denon is capable of pairing with 8 BT devices....but with the ECHO - who knows.

Glad to be of help. Btw, I’m also an Eagles, Stones etc fan. Also Dpringsteen, Bob Seger, the Doors, then the Waifs, that Aussie band.

OTS, In my "short list" of MY Music that I play along to (Drums), I didn't include Springsteen , Bob Seger, Zombies, Hollies, The Animals, Rascals, Dylan, Travelling Wilburys, Foreigner (and Unplugged too) Fleetwood Mac, and many others - But they are on my Long List!! I'm 71 yo, a baby boomer, a Woosstocker ( I was not there in 1969) - so I do maintain a biase toward the Music of the 60s, 70s, 80s and some from the 90s. Sorry, to all others - digressing on this thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom