Denon DRA-365R Blowd Up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by salimoneus, Feb 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. salimoneus

salimoneus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy. Had a pretty good power mishap at the house. Apparently one of the power lines up at the pole melted together, causing one incoming trunk to have no juice and the other doubled at 240v. This blew out a fair number of things throughout the house, space heaters, some small appliances, and the stereo.

One of the caps in the receiver exploded for sure, I can see the top has ruptured and electrolyte shot everywhere inside on the board. It will not even power on, no lights are visible. I have not done any tests yet on the receiver.

I am wondering if it's even worth attempting to replace the caps? Could the rest of the components have survived? I think I paid $50 for it a short while ago, and can probably find another for about the same. I wouldn't mind shelling out $15 or so for a couple caps if there was any chance it would fix it. Any input appreciated.

Sal

2. Glen B

Glen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would junk it and get a new receiver. A pair of main power supply caps are going to cost much more than $15.00, plus there's no telling what other parts are damaged.

3. salimoneus

salimoneus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did find the replacement caps on ebay for about $6 apiece: "Capacitor Nichicon 8200 8200uf 50V" which seem to match the specs on the ones inside the unit, but I don't know if those are the same thing as the main power supply caps you are referring to. They appear to be the biggest ones in there. I've read that Nichicon are supposed to be decent quality, but again not really sure on that either.

4. Glen B

Glen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, those sound like the main PS caps. I was thinking the value would have been a bit higher than 8,200uF.

5. salimoneus

salimoneus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, it's only a 40w receiver. Maybe I'll snag em and give it a try for giggles. Have never done a stereo repair so will be a good learning experience at the least :beer:

6. salimoneus

salimoneus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well replaced the caps, and it powered without blowing the fuse, but no lights came on, and it became unresponsive to the remote after a short while. Looks like this one is headed to the recycler.