DENON DP-200USB turntable setup problems

Waldorfian

Novice Member
I have a DENON DP-200USB turntable that I am trying to setup with a YAMAHA RX-V765 receiver. I am getting the sound out of the speakers but it is not very good. Low volume compared to other av inputs. The turntable also seems to be very sensitive and will make weird popping sounds if I walk near the cabinet I have the turntable on.

My first thought was that I need a pre-amp to boost the signal as it is connected to an audio input on the receiver NOT labelled as "phono". This receiver does not have any inputs specifically for phono. I have the equalizer switch on the DENON set to "ON" as described in the manual for non phono inputs.

I have PARAGIGM TITAN v2.0 speakers attached to the receiver. Any suggestions on how to improve the sound quality would be greatly appreciated.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

The Denon has a built in phono stage (called an equilizer in the manual, page 4).
According the the Yamaha manual it has a pohono input and grounding bolt (Page 17).

So you have 2 option - Denon equilizer off > Yamaha phono
or Denon Equilizer on > Yamaha Audio1/2
If the denon has a ground wire connect this to the Yamaha ground bolt (next to the phono input). If you have a spare but of wire and the Denon does not have a ground wire you can use this to connect to the Yamaha ground bolt and then to any crew on the denon case, this will tell you if you have a ground issue.

Also, what cartridge are you using, if this is an MC cartridge you will need a separate phono stage, if MM then you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Edit - just checked and ther EU version of the Yamaha does not have the ohono stage - so equilizer ON giver 150mV output, Yamaha Audio In sensitivity is 200mV so that looks to be all good. You could try plugging it into AV5 or 6 instead of Audio 1 or 2 to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29597

That turntable has an MM cartridge but your receiver will only be able to process the output from an MC cartridge properly. MM cartridges output signals are far weaker than that of MC cartridges.

There are 2 solutions:

1. Change the receiver for an amplifier that has an input marked Phono as this input has amplification built in.
2. Insert a phono pre amp between the turntable and the receiver to boost the signal to line level, you can then use any input on your existing receiver.

Waldorfian

Novice Member

The Denon has a built in phono stage (called an equilizer in the manual, page 4).
According the the Yamaha manual it has a pohono input and grounding bolt (Page 17).

So you have 2 option - Denon equilizer off > Yamaha phono
or Denon Equilizer on > Yamaha Audio1/2
If the denon has a ground wire connect this to the Yamaha ground bolt (next to the phono input). If you have a spare but of wire and the Denon does not have a ground wire you can use this to connect to the Yamaha ground bolt and then to any crew on the denon case, this will tell you if you have a ground issue.

Also, what cartridge are you using, if this is an MC cartridge you will need a separate phono stage, if MM then you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Edit - just checked and ther EU version of the Yamaha does not have the ohono stage - so equilizer ON giver 150mV output, Yamaha Audio In sensitivity is 200mV so that looks to be all good. You could try plugging it into AV5 or 6 instead of Audio 1 or 2 to see if that makes a difference.
There is no PHONO inputs on my receiver. There is no ground wire on the turntable either.

Waldorfian

Novice Member
That turntable has an MM cartridge but your receiver will only be able to process the output from an MC cartridge properly. MM cartridges output signals are far weaker than that of MC cartridges.

There are 2 solutions:

1. Change the receiver for an amplifier that has an input marked Phono as this input has amplification built in.
2. Insert a phono pre amp between the turntable and the receiver to boost the signal to line level, you can then use any input on your existing receiver.
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking that I needed a phono amplifier (pre-amp) for sure. Will that solve the other popping noices I get if I walk near the turntable?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

There are 2 solutions:

I think you may have got this the wrong way round - MM moving magnet have an output around 2mV and MC moving coil are around 0.2mV. However there are some high output MC that have higher output but these are not very common.

The OP’s turntable with the Equilizer turned on should work ok with the audio 1/2 inputs on the Yamaha. Has the vertical and tracking forces been set up properly (typically around 2g but check cartridge spec) and the cartridge aligned with a protractor?

D

Deleted member 29597

Oops, you're right, always getting my Cs and Ms mixed up!

Waldorfian

Novice Member
I think you may have got this the wrong way round - MM moving magnet have an output around 2mV and MC moving coil are around 0.2mV. However there are some high output MC that have higher output but these are not very common.

The OP’s turntable with the Equilizer turned on should work ok with the audio 1/2 inputs on the Yamaha. Has the vertical and tracking forces been set up properly (typically around 2g but check cartridge spec) and the cartridge aligned with a protractor?

From what I can tell, this turntable doesn't have any tracking adjustments. If it does, they aren't apparent to me. I think this turntable is low end gear. I might need to think about a better turntable first and add a phono amplifier as well. IDK about the MM vs MC power output. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Waldorfian

Novice Member
So I bought a Dilvpetry phono box. I see it has a grounding post but it didn't come with a ground wire. The instructions are translated from Chinese and very poor. Do I ground the phono box to my receiver? There is no ground wire from the turntable.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom