Denon DNP-720AE Network Audio Player owners' thread

Cliff.Barnes

Standard Member
Reaction score
I decided to order one of these last week, it should arrive early next week.

I was close to buying an ipod dock as I didn't have one, but thought I'd just go for the DNP-720AE as I like the idea of listening to internet radio without having to switch my PC on.

Streaming from my PC is something I want to play with too, so this makes the DNP-720AE worthwhile for me as I don't have an iphone (and don't really like the idea of having to control things using one).

So, has anyone else here bought a DNP-720AE?

Hi, I bought one of these last week, I've been waiting eagerly for something like this from Denon. The sound quality from the tuner and anything streamed wirelessly to it (internet radio, ipod) is excellent in true Denon tradiotion, great clarity and plenty of detail and bass. Very easy to set up the connection to the wireless router and you're away. I connect my ipod touch to the unit via Airplay, no need to have a computer on. The sound output is just like having the ipod connected via a dock, no loss in quality at all. You can download the Denon app on to the touch and control the unit via that if you want. You can select the unit from the airplay symbol in Itunes and stream music from your PC if required although all my music is on my Touch so i just play straight from that, no need to have Itunes running. The display is nice and clear and easy to browse and choose internet radio stations. This is a well made piece of kit and will be getting plenty of use. Enjoy.

I replaced Sonos zp90 with the Denon. Now I have music scene that composes from >=9 sources instead of 5, and the effect is sharp and strong on 5 meters, not on 2.5 where Sonos was finding its limit! This is awesome! Also more details in music!

Also, bass is now stronger. This is good, as I have very neutral amp – Denon PMA 710AE.

One flaw: the Denon remote app is very spartan.

PS. very good airplay support.

PS. I also considered Cambridge Audio Sonata np30, but it has DAC 96kHz, while Denon has 192kHz. Also, SNR ratio is better, as well as THD. I also tested the two in listening room, and I was able to hear speaker during sonata playback. Also, its software crashed once.

I bought this Denon DNP-720AE Network Audio Player just the other day.

One thing I wanted , was for the FM/AM tuner to be output via the optical out . But , it is not working.

FM/AM outputs OK through the analogue out, just not through optical.

Internet radio and other digital sources work OK via optical out.

I've read every word in the user manual and nowhere is such a restriction mentioned.

Is my unit faulty? Or , is the manual just missing information? Thanks in advance.

I purchased a DENON DNP-720AE and cannot make the internet radio working.

If I make a wired connection the receiver displays the following;
Network Audio Player
DENON DNP-720AE
DENON Setup for starting ...
Internet Radio 2/4 Connecting...
Internet Radio 3/4 Checking Info
Internet Radio 4/4 Waiting reply..
Internet Radio
Recently played, Search by keywords
If I then press the "Enter" button in the center of the command buttons on the right hand side of the front panel the receiver displays:
(Empty)

All in all, no internet radio stations are available.

Any suggestions?? Thanks...

I thought I had to upgrade mine but found Airplay was already installed.
I do find that it is a bit sketchy though as it drops out intermittently.

I thought I had to upgrade mine but found Airplay was already installed.
I do find that it is a bit sketchy though as it drops out intermittently.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I figured it out eventually, realised I just wasted 2 hours of my life and it was already on there

Hi,

Do these units playback BBC Radio OK?

Thanks.

Just got mine and have it up and running. Really happy with it. Would be nice if they make the App available for Android and the inbuilt web server had more than just the one option! As its new to market, I hope future upgrades will add more functionality via web. e.g editing presets and so on.

Really liking the podcasts and streaming. Have it looking at my NAS box (qnap) too, all working well via a cabled connection.

Just got mine and have it up and running. Really happy with it. Would be nice if they make the App available for Android and the inbuilt web server had more than just the one option! As its new to market, I hope future upgrades will add more functionality via web. e.g editing presets and so on.

Really liking the podcasts and streaming. Have it looking at my NAS box (qnap) too, all working well via a cabled connection.

Check out AVR Remote in Android Market. Its still experimental but I have found it works quite well! Link below

https://market.android.com/details?...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImRlLnBza2l3aS5hdnJyZW1vdGUiXQ..

I purchased a DENON DNP-720AE and cannot make the internet radio working.

If I make a wired connection the receiver displays the following;
Network Audio Player
DENON DNP-720AE
DENON Setup for starting ...
Internet Radio 2/4 Connecting...
Internet Radio 3/4 Checking Info
Internet Radio 4/4 Waiting reply..
Internet Radio
Recently played, Search by keywords
If I then press the "Enter" button in the center of the command buttons on the right hand side of the front panel the receiver displays:
(Empty)

All in all, no internet radio stations are available.

Any suggestions?? Thanks...

I tried to connect to the net at home, at work, and at a couple of friends all of which where unsuccessful. Nevertheless, I finally got it to connect at a third friends place. A firmware update solved the problems and it now works also from home.

Hi,

Had my 720AE a few weeks - and love it :thumbsup:

Just bought a new ADSL router (netgear 3500) and now I can no longer get a wired connection :mad: it just keeps failing. Wireless is just fine.

Anyone got any hints/tips??? :lease:

thanks

My denon 720ae downloaded three separate firmware updates today - does anyone know what these were for, I can't find any information on them?

Denon Firmware/Changelog Download

changelog for DNP720AE

Sys.00.71
There is erratum in the text display of Internet radio.
Podcast of Finland is not played.
Improvement of DPMS update.
When URL of Podcast registered in vTuner is long, there is a possibility that the product freezes.
When the product receives RDS TEXT of group type 2B, "A" is inserted with two character spacing and it is displayed.
When the power supply is turned on from Network Standby of USB with USB connected, the sound is not output.
The re-indication after the password input changed it to "*".
When the user executes Network Fist Setup after initializing the product, there is a possibility that the status of Detecting continues.
When the user stores the file of music and the video in the same folder, "Empty" is displayed with the repeat or the shuffle play (The sound is output).

Sys. 00.69
There is a possibility that the signal of Power Off is not output from DM870 to connected device.
When USB or Music Server is played, it is not possible to character search.

I just purchased one myself. Playing Pandora, it often displays a "list empty" message, and then it takes a while to reconnect. And then it doesn't know where it left off, and I'm at the toplevel again, and have to choose a station to play. So must have lost the connection? It should remmber where you were, so it can restart itself. this is annoying.

JP

Does this player support playing apple lossless (ALAC) files from the iTunes library installed on a PC via Airplay using the iTunes remote app for the ipad. I am using a Apple TV 2 at the moment. There's no mention of ALAC support in the spec's.

Thanks

I am wanting to confirm that I can play music stored on my ANDROID device, wirelessly, direct to this player, before I buy it? So Airplay for Android I guess is what I am asking.

networkn said:
I am wanting to confirm that I can play music stored on my ANDROID device, wirelessly, direct to this player, before I buy it? So Airplay for Android I guess is what I am asking.

I do exactly that, I using a free application called 'Skifta' available on the Android Market. Works perfectly.

I have just bought a DNP-720AE and have not been able to connect the Music Server function. Whenever I try to make it connect it comes up on the display screen with a "empty" message. I have tried using Airplay but cannot locate the Airplay icon on my PC version of Itunes or on my Iphone. I have made use of the internet radio, so know that the wireless internet connection is working, but it does not seem to recognise my PC. Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Firewall? Try temporarily disabling any firewall on the PC, rebooting (check firewall is still off) and try again.

Firewall? Try temporarily disabling any firewall on the PC, rebooting (check firewall is still off) and try again.

Thanks very much. I will try that. does it mean that the firewall will have to be off whenever I want to use the device?

does it mean that the firewall will have to be off whenever I want to use the device?

Nope, if that was the problem you'll need to then restart the f/w and configure it to allow incoming requests from the streamer.

Last edited:

I tried disabling the firewall and this did not appear to make any difference. However, the Airplay logo suddenly appeared on the itunes frame and this is now connecting with the Denon. Is this the best solution?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom