Question Denon DM41 + Q Acoustics 3020 for vinyl: Would this pairing be too bright?

EasyToAssemble

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking to upgrade my mini hifi setup, which I'm using (primarily) for vinyl using a Pro-Ject Essential II. I think I've settled on the Denon DM41 along with some Q Acoustics 3020's as an upgrade. For now, I've ruled out buying separates, as I'd like something which allows occasional CD and radio use (without having to invest in a player and receiver).

My main question is that the Q Acoustics have been noted as having a punchy sound, so - paired with the DM41 - will this come off as too bright? The majority of my collection is Indie and 60's/70's rock, along with a small amount of jazz and electronic. I'm looking for something the punchy/bright side of neutral (if that makes sense). Something to bring out detail and precision, but not losing too much warmth in the process.

Apologies if this is a somewhat simplistic question (I'm just recently starting on my hifi journey to buying myself a better setup). I'm aware it's not just all about the speakers, but more a consideration of speakers+amp+stylus+turntable+cabling+positioning+etc, etc, etc. It's just that the DM41 sounds great for the price and would allow me to play CD's/radio as well.

Does anyone have any experience of vinyl played through the Denon DM41. What speakers have you found to work well for this system?. And if you've used the 3020s (with any amp), how bright do you find these to be?

Last edited:
Not sure, but if you go this way have you a phono stage?

Not trying to sidetrack you but are you going for the Denon for size? or because it has a cd player or radio?

I've used the excellent q acoustic speakers but reckon you have better options than the Denon for your turntable

I can't speak to the Denon, but I found the Q Acoustic 3020 to be very sweet and well balanced speaker.

Not at all bright, though I can't speak to the acoustic of your room. Again, very well balanced and sweet, also very clear for the modest price they cost.

Steve/bluewizard

Not trying to sidetrack you but are you going for the Denon for size? or because it has a cd player or radio?

I've used the excellent q acoustic speakers but reckon you have better options than the Denon for your turntable

The DM41 seems to get great reviews, so that seemed like a frontrunner. But if you know of any others that may work, I am definitely open to other brand-suggestions. Budget-wise, I'm looking at about £200-£400 for the mini hifi on it's own.

I've kind of settled on a mini system mainly because CD and radio will be occasional, but handy to have (so can't justify buying separates) and - volume-wise - around 30w per channel will cover 90% of my intended use in a large bedroom (would like more, but - y'know - neighbours, etc:().

The DM41 seems to get great reviews, so that seemed like a frontrunner. But if you know of any others that may work, I am definitely open to other brand-suggestions. Budget-wise, I'm looking at about £200-£400 for the mini hifi on it's own.

I've kind of settled on a mini system mainly because CD and radio will be occasional, but handy to have (so can't justify buying separates) and - volume-wise - around 30w per channel will cover 90% of my intended use in a large bedroom (would like more, but - y'know - neighbours, etc:().
The Denon is nice, I had a previous model, but you can do better. You say 400 is your limit. Look at this as an example

For Sale - Denon PMA-720

This is 100, I know it's second hand, but you'd add a great cd player for smallish money.

If you want for a new say refurbished marantz pm6006 or something like a Yamaha as501 it would give you an inbuilt DAC which would allow you use even a cheap dvd player as a cd player using the Amp inbuilt DAC for sound quality.

30watts per channel etc is grand, but the power often decides how well speakers are driven as much as how loud.

The denon as I said is good but if you go to 400 pounds you can do better

The Denon is nice, I had a previous model, but you can do better. You say 400 is your limit. Look at this as an example

For Sale - Denon PMA-720

This is 100, I know it's second hand, but you'd add a great cd player for smallish money.

If you want for a new say refurbished marantz pm6006 or something like a Yamaha as501 it would give you an inbuilt DAC which would allow you use even a cheap dvd player as a cd player using the Amp inbuilt DAC for sound quality.

30watts per channel etc is grand, but the power often decides how well speakers are driven as much as how loud.

The denon as I said is good but if you go to 400 pounds you can do better

Thanks for those suggestions. I'd never really considered used before (due to them being often collection in-person, plus no-guarantee) but I can see some of the older kit is often worth chasing. The Marantz looks good on first impressions. Am thinking maybe I should consider separates now.

I've heard Yamaha often have a signature "warm" sound (which I ruled out in case they don't offer much punch/brightness, but maybe I need to hear a comparison).

Thanks for those suggestions. I'd never really considered used before (due to them being often collection in-person, plus no-guarantee) but I can see some of the older kit is often worth chasing. The Marantz looks good on first impressions. Am thinking maybe I should consider separates now.

I've heard Yamaha often have a signature "warm" sound (which I ruled out in case they don't offer much punch/brightness, but maybe I need to hear a comparison).
I got my two marantz Amps from superfi, one is the pm6006, the other is the pm6005 which is the previous model. Got them both open box at different times for 200

I would not describe my Yamaha gear as warm, I think it is quite bright. Whast about a Yamaha RN 602, will give you internet radio and streaming for around your budget, also has a built in phono amp. You will need to add a cheap CD player mind.

Have to agree with above comments.

Have you got a local retailer where you can have an audition?

I also wouldnt call yamaha warm, if anything, marantz has a warmer signature but to be honest, it doesnt mean it sounds dull. In all accounts what marantz is one of the nicest sounding amplifiers in it's price point and would recommend it over most.

Sounds of amplifiers is very subjective. what you might call bright, I may call neutral etc, hence the importance of auditions.

The Q Acoustics are again one of the best at their price point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom