DENON DM38DAB or ONKYO CR545

Best Speakers to go along with Denon DM38DAB

• Total voters

Nanda

Standard Member
Reaction score
I went to Richer Sounds last week to check out Denon DM38DAB. But the sales manager suggested that Onkyo CR545 is in the same price range, have the same features as the DM38DAB and has more power (40 W compared to 30 W of Denon). Also Onkyo has an iPod dock where in Denon you need to connect the iPod using USB cord. Can somebody guide me which one is better in terms of sound quality and also recommend suitable speakers for these systems. My budget is max 400 GBP.

The Denon ipod connection uses the digital out on the iPod and the DAC in the Denon and sounds OK.
From their literature:

Digital signals from the iPod are
transmitted as is to the RCD-M38 where they
pass through the high-precision D/A converter
and are processed by advanced audio circuitry
to produce a clean, high-quality sound.

Question is does the Onkyo do the same or is it analogue only so you are stuck with the poor DAC in the iPod?

Last edited:
The Denon ipod connection uses the digital out on the iPod and the DAC in the Denon and sounds OK.
From their literature:

Digital signals from the iPod are
transmitted as is to the RCD-M38 where they
pass through the high-precision D/A converter
and are processed by advanced audio circuitry
to produce a clean, high-quality sound.

Question is does the Onkyo do the same or is it analogue only so you are stuck with the poor DAC in the iPod?

Thanks larkone. I am looking for an opinion which system is better in terms of sound quality and also some recommendations for best book shelf speakers to go along with them.

Both pretty similar i'd say. I'd go Denon. Speakers are really down to personal preference of what sort of sound you like. They are all great quality for the price. Wharfedale probably most rounded for general music enjoyment especially if rock and pop involved but Monitor Audio will blow you away with voices.

Both pretty similar i'd say. I'd go Denon. Speakers are really down to personal preference of what sort of sound you like. They are all great quality for the price. Wharfedale probably most rounded for general music enjoyment especially if rock and pop involved but Monitor Audio will blow you away with voices.

Thanks Ben. I need to arrange a demo for the speakers. Richer sounds does not stock Monitor Audio. Need to find a dealer where they stock them.

I listen to a wide variety of music. Pop/Rock/Indian Classical vocal/World music etc...

I will check out Wharfedale and Monitor Audio.

Demo is best idea :) The others are very good too just not personally heard so cant comment on characteristics

Thanks larkone. I am looking for an opinion which system is better in terms of sound quality and also some recommendations for best book shelf speakers to go along with them.

I was pointing out that there is likely to be a difference in sound quality connecting a i-pod as you raised it in your OP by stating the difference. The quality of the Denon is very good when connecting an I-Pod - especially when streaming Spotify in HQ. Can't comment on the Onkyo for sound quality but I didn't demo it because the I-Pod connection is just analogue.

Speakers are a personal thing and you need to get a demo - one mans meat is another's poison though if you are going down the bookshelf route I would strongly recommend a sub as both have the facility to connect one.

After a long search to find a dealer who stocks all the speakers I wanted to demo I finally found Bartletts at Islington. The staff there were very friendly and helpful. I could listen to Wharfedale 10.1, Q Acoustics 2010, Monitor Audio BX2 and Mission MX1.

After listening to all the four speakers plugged into Denon M38 and with my personal music collection on my iPod and CDs which I was carrying, I finally short listed the best 2. They were Wharfedale 10.1 and Monitor Audio BX2. It was difficult to chose between the two.

So I decided to play 5 of my favourites tracks on both the speakers again to finalise the one I wanted to buy.

The tracks were.

1. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
2. Collapse the light into Earth- Porcupine Tree
3. Tabula Rasa - Arvo Pärt
4. The Wilhelm Scream - James Blake
5. End Theme( From Album Simple Things) - Zero 7

Both the speakers handled all the tracks superbly and making a decision was tough. But I finally decided to play one more track which was "Soldier of Love" by Sade and the way the BX2 delivered it I fell in love with it. 10.1 didnt do a bad job, but as Ban Jammin mentioned BX2 just blew me away.

So finally I have decided to get the Denon M38DAB + Monitor Audio BX2.

A big thanks to Ben Jammin and larkone for their suggestions.

Did I buy it from Bartletts? Read my next post :)

Am I missing something here? Why can't you just listen to the things and decide for yourself which one you like the best?

Do you know what kind of pizza you like or should we take a vote on it? ;0)

Am I missing something here? Why can't you just listen to the things and decide for yourself which one you like the best?

Do you know what kind of pizza you like or should we take a vote on it? ;0)

Picking on a new member....I fear your mordacity may contribute to the lack of activity on here from newbies.

So long as your retort does not include guns or badges I shall look forward to it:)

To be fair to people buying their first systems I think they just need a little bit of re-assurance with their decisions. If I were buying a new car and liked the look, feel and drive of one car that doesn't mean I wouldn't feel a bit of reassurance asking the opinions of those people who are into cars. Yes listening for ones self should remain the single biggest factor in making a final decision but it's good to feel those who count AV / Hi-Fi or what ever among their interests think you've spend your money wisely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom