1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DM31

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mike79, Nov 26, 2004.

1. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, new to the forums so excuse if this is in the wrong place (I will find my way around in the future though :laugh: )

I am looking at getting a Denon DM31 mini syetem (just the CD/radio part) and was wondering how it could be linked to my existing system;

I have a Sony SDR-DB790 AV reveiver, powering Mission M33 floorstanders, M72 bookshelfs and a M7C1 centre....

I was hoping the Denon could be linked to the rears (m72's) for when I want to listen to music. I liked the idea of the Denon due to it coming without yet another set of speakers for me to have in my lounge...

Is there a way I can do this without causing damage to the rears by having 2 sources (receiver and Denon) connected to them? (obviously, I would only have 1 amp on at a time, however I cannot control what the fiancee does! :laugh: )

Any advice welcome... :)

Cheers
    Mike

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I should have thought you could do that using a speaker switch wired to select between the 2 amps. Connecting both amps to one set of speakers is probably a bad idea. I'm sure an expert will be along in a minute...

3. mike79

mike79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tried calling a few places, they tell me you get switches to choose which speakers an amp powers however they have not heard of anything for the other way round (choosing which source powers a set of speakers)

Decided to sack the idea and get a plasma instead (...slight change :laugh: )

Music is on MTV anyway and CD's in my DVD player :thumbsup:

Cheers though

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    You could use the denon to amp the rear speakers for surround sound listening - ie use the pre-out for the rears from your AVR into the aux in on the denon then connect the rear speakers directly to the denon - then when you want to watch/listen to a movie just switch the denon to the aux in and set it to the correct volume